• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Slow performance on Xeon CPUs

Contributor ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that LR clone and brush tool on my XEON E5-1650 0 3.20GHz (Attention: E5-1650 0 and not E5-1650 v4) can not stress my CPU and after x minutes of working LR slow down, until I have to restart it.

Please see the full diskussion with the problem here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2210245 (test with different Lightroom versions, confrontation with a weak laptop, that works fine, tests wit other graphic grafic card, test with other bios settings etc. No results. Only restart LR or minor display resolution helps.)

Can anyone with an XEON E5-1650 0 3.2Ghz confirm this?

Bug Started
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Set status

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017
If you are an existing Lr Classic CC customer, and would like to test out a developer preview build that we think fixes this performance issue. Please send me a note and I'll make sure that you are invited to the prerelease program. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016
Can you folks pin-point for certainty the specific version of Lightroom that starts exhibiting the same performance issue under the same machine setup? That would be helpful us to figure what happened. 

Here is a link where you can rollback to the earlier Lightroom versions https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016
@Dietmar You've provided additional detailed info in https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2210245. That is very helpful. Are the summary of your previous findings (copied as-is) still applies with the Lr 2015.7 and Camera Raw 9.7 release?

Summary
  1. LR/Camera Raw has definitive a performance problem with some - especially my high-quality – PCs!
  2. I can reproduce the problem and I can demonstrate that the problem on other - especially my weak – PCs not persist or is not so strongly.
  3. With GPU on the problem inc

Votes

Translate

Translate
@Dietmar reported that the issue is found to be in 2015.5, 2015.5.1, 2015.6, 2015.6.1 as well. It would be helpful to post the Lightroom's Help>System Info...

Votes

Translate

Translate
What does Lightroom's Help>System Info... say? It should report the processor count and the maximum number of thread count used by the image processing pipeline?

Some made the observation that Lr was performant right after a launch and then gets slower after intense brushing. Is it on a single photo or do you typically have to walk several photos to reproduce it? Do you remember which version of Lr this started to happen? Do you have Lr mobile sync turned on? What happens if you pause the sync an...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 234 Replies 234
234 Comments
Participant ,
Oct 01, 2016 Oct 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Servus Dietmar,
I'm using LR on an i7 6 core machine and after upgrading to a 4k display I'm experiencing similar massive performance problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2016 Oct 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here and I've recently upgraded to a 10 core machine with a 4K display. It is so slow processing after the first few images that I just gave up. I'm using C1 in the interim until there is some sort of fix out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Oct 07, 2016 Oct 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an interesting article on Lightrooms performance with differing core number -

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Lightroom-CC-6-Multi-Core-Performance-649/

Bob frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2016 Oct 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with that article is that no "editing" benchmarks were tested, such as using the Adjustment Brush and Clone tool, etc. I'm sure if they did the issues reported here would have surfaced. The benchmarks do clearly indicate there's little to be gained going beyond 4-cores.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2016 Oct 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2016 Oct 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above link references performance issues with a Xeon 6-core system that only started after updating from LR 6.6.1 to 6.7. Rolling back to 6.6.1 resolved the issues for this user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i7 -3770k w Win10 here with 16 GB RAM, Sapphire 7850 @ 1920x1200; latest Lightroom 6.7 on fast SSD with plenty of free space. Same issues: over about 20 spot adjustments and brushes on a single photography LR starts lagging terribly.

Using a brush it takes up to 20/30 seconds just for the red overlay to display over the area I just brushed. Same for additional spot tool edits. LR basically becomes unusable.
Hw acceleration on or off does not make any significant difference.

Frankly speaking it is unacceptable for a professional photography software as LR is supposed to be.

Even more it seems there is no developer feedback on this matter.
Not exactly the type of support you'd expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2016 Oct 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem Dawid.. I have Macbook Pro I5 2.9Ghz SSD 512, Ram 8go.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some tests and can confirm this behaviour:
using a 6 (12) core i7 machine with a 4k display makes Lightroom nearly compleately non-usable!
reducing the used cores by the described command above and reducing the display resolution speeds LR up.
In my eyes it is absolutely inacceptable that the leading application for photography pros shows this behaviour. It's exactly this group of users who will use 4k displays and high performance PCs on which LR fails and slows down rapidly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2016 Oct 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded my machine from an I7 4790 and 16gb of ram with a 1tb SSD drive to one with an I7 6700HQ 64gb RAM and two 1tb SSD drives - keeping the cache on a separate drive. I did this because I thought I had worn out the old machine because LR CC had started to run so slowly. It runs just as slowly on the new machine and it is becoming extremely frustrating.

When will Adobe address this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2016 Oct 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to PassMark's benchmarks the i7-6700HQ (8,023) is a lower performance processor than your previous i7-4790 (9,995). Also moving caches to a separate SSD has very little affect on LR's performance. What exact version of LR are you using, what OS version, what is your monitor's resolution, and are you using dual-displays?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2016 Oct 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually the mobile 4790 - I read it is somewhat of a wash.

I'm on a 17" laptop, no dual displays, WIN 10 Anniversary edition and the latest update to LR 6. It's been creeping since the spring starting on the old machine which had been upgraded over and over. I thought the brand new build and hardware would change things.

One thing did help a little after reading this thread yesterday was turning off the GPU on my Invidia 1070 video card for Lightroom. I used the Invidia settings. It still lags a little when going from one photo to the next or pasting settings or adjustment brushing any amount at all, but not the four or five seconds it was taking.

In all, we shouldn't even be having this conversation. LR has an issue that we should not have to tweak away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started having slow performance issues around August of this year - 2016 - It was after an update was installed, but I do not recall what the version number was!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 4k display with an 8 core i-7 with 24GB RAM and I am basically dead in the water - I have been editing the same wedding since last Wednesday (5 days so far - 1800 .nef's!)

I can not live like this!  I will have to go back to using the Photoshop Image processor if this does not change soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR CC 2015.6.1 was released 7/25.   So you might consider rolling back to 2015.6: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/roll-back-to-prior-update.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you folks pin-point for certainty the specific version of Lightroom that starts exhibiting the same performance issue under the same machine setup? That would be helpful us to figure what happened. 

Here is a link where you can rollback to the earlier Lightroom versions https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the update to 6.7 the processor use goes to 100% when opening lr. Went back to 6.6.1 now it okay. Other problem with brushes and things like that I have too, thought that it a problem with my pc, but according to others its aldo an lr problem. My computer a Dell T5600 xeon 6 core with 24Gb memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm the problem with a E5-1650 v4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problems here too.
My 2013 Macbook Pro pushing the same 3440x1440 display is twice as fast as my new build (Windows 10 x64, i7-6900K, GTX1080, Samsung 950 Pro and 850's, 64GB Ram).

Why is this???

For importing 1,500 images and building 1:1 previews it's twice as fast...I've timed it.
The develop module loads faster and is far more responsive as well.

Can someone please help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, spoke with Adobe support this afternoon and they acknowledge a problem with multi core processors (more than 4) and high end graphics cards with Lightroom. They said they have engineers working on the problem and unfortunately don't have a timeline for a fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news, its a shame that no one in Adobe even tought to do the simple thing and let us know its a known issue and they are working on it. Anyway don't build your hopes up for a complete fix in the next version. Probebly we are going to get another automatic f#@!*** recognition tool that streach your face on selfies before they fix it. This issue with performance on high end hardware was since the beginning. They did sort some issues with memory leaks but for the most of us it is faster after restart then when you work on few images it is slow again. So restarting seems to fix it. But we cant restart all day. Also image export is much faster after restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I hope the fix comes sooner rather than later and will agree that having to restart Lr after processing a few photos is killing me.  I have been using C1 just to get by and that software seems to take good advantage of the hardware I already have and is lightning fast with my setup.  

Once the fix is out, I would be curious as to what the underlying issue was. I am really hoping that Adobe wasn't blowing smoke Scott and they are working on a fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke with basic tech support and grilled the guy with questions...he didn't seem to be aware of the issue. He escalated the call to the tech support manager. The manager immediately fluent with the problems I was having. He told me the Adobe engineers are aware of the multi-core problem as well as the high end graphics card issues and are working towards a solution.  If he was lying he was a damn good liar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it Scott!  Now to wait patiently I guess...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a couple of months having problem with Lightroom I got to this site. I tried everything, read milions comments and topics on forums and I solved nothing with the performance issues.
I edit hundreds or thousands of pictures from every shooting and lightroom became to be pain in the ass processing the photos.

I tried different sw to process raw. Capture one 10 is really really fast, has the quality but the noise and image quality what lightroom has is the best for my eyes.

I hope that Adobe will update LIghtroom with all the performance issues fixed soon. It is a huge Adobe fail. Huge one!

Votes

Translate

Translate