Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Slow UI when using Mac and Custom Display Profile

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since upgrading to Lightroom Classic v10.0, all UI-related functionality is painfully slow. All editing functions are working correctly and quickly but scrolling through the catalogue or even scrolling a side panel is taking many long seconds to refresh. Unreasonably long.

Disabling GPU Accellaration has no affect on my Lightroom's performance.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Please go to Help>System Info… and get us the exact installed version number of your software.

If it's 10.0 or 10.1, please review the diagnostic step in this post to see if this is the issue you are facing: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mac-user-interface-slow-after-upgrading/5f91bbf7917fbb3a9935742e?commentId=5fa06f1e72a09d24e1c2b700 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Greetings All,

Update: 3/15/2021

Updates to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your continued patience.

This thread is tracking issues related to a small group of customers who are seeing issues with very slow UI speed in Lightroom Classic 1

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1001 Replies 1001
1,001 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL
Is a Mathematics PhD enough in your opinion?

For sure mechanics, hydraulics, photonics, molecular modelization, or flybywire softwares are a piece of cake in comparison with photo editing.

Sorry, I have to go out to ROFL for an hour or more as I do not want to wake up my wife. And  I will stop feeding the troll.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@photostudiotnk  Is a Mathematics PhD enough in your opinion?

Enough for what? You know zero about the source code of Adobe products, you know zero about the pre-release aspects of the company. Is a PhD in math enough whereby I believe you can add and subtract, maybe far more complex mathematics? Sure. What's that got to do with the price of cheese or your experience with imaging software for the wide general public on multiple platforms? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was answering to Bill about understanding complexity.

For the rest, you are absolutely right. This debate is useless.

My opinion is that Adobe has 0 QA. And not only for this bug.

My opinion is that Adobe does not care about customers.

Best and kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My opinion is that Adobe has 0 QA

My opinion is that Adobe does not care about customers.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts (about Adobe). 
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, English is not my native langage.
What do you mean by: "you are not entitled to your own facts"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@photostudiotnk What do you mean by: "you are not entitled to your own facts"

https://www.literacyideas.com/teaching-fact-and-opinion

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK and agree. 

This is why I have written twice "My opinion is", supported by some personal experience with Adobe support and software.

Best and kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@photostudiotnk Again, you are welcome to post an opinion that has no basis on facts.

If your opinion is, the Earth is flat, fine. It is not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, your post contain a lot of contempt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STOP BLOWING UP EVERYONE'S INBOX with your petty back and forth's that provide no solution to the topic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution that seems to work for most is calibrate to sRGB specifications then load not that profile but the sRGB installed by Adobe, maybe lower the display resolution too. At least the display calibration and that profile should provide decent previews and color managed. What software you use to calibrate and the instrument you use will play a role. Once the bug is fixed, go back to the original workflow for the display/profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But is there a compelling reason to use LR10 as opposed to using 9.4 that does not have this problem allowing you to use your normal workflow for the display/profile?

For me LR 10 sRGB is still slower then 9.4 display/profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But is there a compelling reason to use LR10 as opposed to using 9.4 that does not have this problem allowing you to use your normal workflow for the display/profile?

Well that's a good question each user has to decide on and hopefully they have backed up their older catalogs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then why do you engage here, billwithlotsofnumbers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. Save as your custom display profile with a new name (change internal name to match) from ColorSync and see if that makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the cause of the problem on my MacPro with individual calibrated profile from EIZO Color Navigator:

If you move the image in the library module permanently, only the CPU is calculating, not the graphics card. If you move the image in the Development-Module and in Photoshop permanently, the graphic adapter is calculating and the moving is flawless. So the calculations made in the Library-Module for the preview and the loop does not involve the graphic adapter on my system (Catalina).

When scrolling through the Loop or slide around the preview in Library module with profile AppleRGB it is much faster but also there no graphic adapter is involved. 

Conclusion: Involving the Graphic Adapter in the calculations for display in the Library adapter would increase the speed and "snappiness" dramatically. 

So Adobe. This is what you have to do to solve this problem...

LibraryModule-eeff43d9-e704-497a-83fa-6646bb6ecb5f-507451302.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same thing happening here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll echo that my older Mac setup is suffering from the v10.0 update.  I tried running with base color profiles recommended to no effect. Library browsing seems to be the only function affected - persistent spinners on scroll refreshes/hovers. I've disabled most overlay functions however remained completely unusable. I've reverted to v9.4 and am back up and running. But paying via subscription model i'd prefer to be running best/latest!  

Machine specs:
Mac Pro (Mid 2010) with lots of internal hardware upgrades

Processor: 2 x 3.06 6-Core Intel Xeon

Memory: 64 GB

Disk (Primary): SAMSUNG MZHPV256HDGL (M.2 Interface: PCIe 3.0 x4 lanes)

Graphics: Radeon RX 580 8GB

Monitor: LG 27UK850-W 27" (3840x216)

P.S. I should note that i run the Lightroom CC (non-classic), latest version, and it flies!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps unacceptable but choosing the default sRGB profile seems to solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said it, man. 

unacceptable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem ... making it almost unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac 5,1 with Radeon HD 7xxx 24GB Mojave 10.14.6 same issues as everyone once upgraded to 10.0

I was able to speed things up by selecting the sRGB profile for my PA329C, but obviously not ideal.

I am using a secondary display and it too was unusable until I also set that to sRGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt it would make any difference but has anybody tried resaving their custom profile as sRGB? You would probably need to rename the internal names as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR v 10.1 is out - I'm seeing improvement in Library mode with a custom monitor profile. This is on a 2019 MacBook Pro 16"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to the beta as it hasn't shown up for my system? 

Votes

Translate

Translate