• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Smart Collections containing Color Label criteria show "No photos in selected smart collection"

Advisor ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This one, I can reproduce at will. Using a dual monitor configuration under Windows.

1. Launch LR. Go to the Library module. Main screen in Loupe mode, secondary display in Grid mode.
2. Select a smart collection.
3. Select an image.
4. Exit LR.
5. Relaunch
6. The main display shows again the lastly selected image. The secondary display says "No photos in selected smart collection".
7. Now if you select another smart collection and go back to the previously selected one, all the images of the smart collection are shown on the secondary display.

Sigh! Yet another bug introduced with version 7.3.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018
I can duplicate what you are seeing here Patrick on Mac 10.13.4.
When I have Color Label selected as a Smart Collection criteria I get the the message. When I remove Color Label I get a normal grid in the second display view. 

I will log a bug on it. 

Thanks for reporting and providing the additional detail. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
39 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can duplicate what you are seeing here Patrick on Mac 10.13.4.
When I have Color Label selected as a Smart Collection criteria I get the the message. When I remove Color Label I get a normal grid in the second display view. 

I will log a bug on it. 

Thanks for reporting and providing the additional detail. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying about preferences, it wasn't clear from the previous posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk,

It seems that "Label Color is none" doesn't trigger the bug. Also, there's no need to have multiple rules to get the problem. The Label Color rule alone is enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to recreate same bug as you with one additional condition: The "colour label set" is not Lightroom default
With colour labels set to default (red, yellow, ....)  the problem did not occur, with a set of photos with colour labels set to those in the "review status" set (to delete, color correction required, ....) then the problem occurred on restart in grid view when it was on either monitor.
From the screenshots it looks like Patrick is also using a custom colour set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> From the screenshots it looks like Patrick is also using a custom colour set.

Correct.

By the way, thanks for your initial post. It led me to start the systematic check of all my smart collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem not fixed in version 7.4. Is that so difficult ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. As it says at the top of the page the issue is still in Acknowledged - meaning a bug has been filed but the issue is not yet fixed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk,
I think it's now time for the LR users to have access to some bug tracking system (in read-only mode, of course) that would allow us to exactly know if and when a problem has been taken into account. Or maybe I missed something ?

There are too many problems that are lasting since years and that are still not fixed. Nobody knows if these problems are taken into account, ignored, still under investigation,... Giving (sometimes) this information via forum threads is obviously not satisfactory.

I have some examples of severe bugs reported and documented here since years and nobody seems to care. This affects the confidence we have in the ability and/or willingness of Adobe to fix these bugs. I'm really tired of regularly reporting and documenting problems that are obviously ignored, I repeat, since years.

Some would say this is only annoying, but annoyance is the open door to repudiation. If this attitude doesn't change, I'll bite the bullet and switch to another solution. Adobe now have credible competition but don't seem to care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Patrick,

This forum is your conduit and there will likely be no other.  Loosely, this is how things are defined:

If an item is truly a bug its type will be "Problem" not Question, Idea, Praise or Announcement

If its status is:
  • No Status - it means it either hasn't been looked at or it is not reproducible by Adobe Staff or Prerelease testers.
  • Needs a solution - is not identifiable as a bug (against known design and has repeatable steps) or is a partner issue ((OS manufacturer, Video Card Driver, etc.)
  • Acknowledged - it means we have verified the behavior, agreed it is a bug or a partner issue and have filed said bug or reported it to our partner.
  • In-progress - it means we have identified an issue and are working with a user or users or partners to obtain more information to create a final fix. A bug is possibly open on the issue.
  • Solved - means we have either fixed the bug, or another partner  has released an update which has caused the behavior to go off the rails.
  • Not a problem - means that, upon review, it was discovered this is not an Adobe bug or a partner bug and has been resolved in another fashion.
By looking at the top of this or any thread you can tell generally where a bug is in the process. And, if someone asks, I will look up the bug and report back - as I've just done for you.  Do you have another bug you would like to ask about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Do you have another bug you would like to ask about?

One of the most annoying and irritating problem (for me and for those who have a similar workflow making use of the metadata status flag) is this one. It's there since the first versions of LR.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/wrong-timestamp-stored-in-lightroom-catalog-c...

With John Ellis, we have spent a lot of time characterizing this bug. We have determined what was wrong in the database. Given this information, any developer should be able to spot the problem in the code and fix this odd behavior within a few hours (to be generous). If this is still not fixed after all these years, this means that nobody looked at it. We never had any feedback about the detailed reports that we have posted here.

Which leads to another problem in the way bugs are managed and that's why the current "conduit" is from far not satisfactory. I don't know exactly how the maintenance team is organized but one things is for sure : the longer a bug has been there, the lower the probability to get it fixed. The bug priority list obviously doesn't work as a FIFO stack. Of course, there is a need to assign a priority level  but there are problems that never had a chance to reach the top of the list. If a bug is marked as minor (who decides this ?) and lasts over about one year, it will never be fixed even if it could actually be fixed within minutes. The whole system is not working well (understatement).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated that one. Status was missing. A bug is still open against that issue.  I've bumped it on priority for the team to review. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.
While we are at it... This very old one sometimes causes some hair pulling sessions and processing mistakes in my workflow :
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-selected-published-folder-or-collec...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked and it is still in process. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Still not fixed in LR 8. Is it that difficult ?

Votes

Translate

Translate