• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Spot removal removing brush stroke

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am using the brush tool on some of my photos and after that I decided to use the spot removal tool. Upon doing so it removed more than the spot. It actually ended up removing separate brush strokes I have made. I am not sure how this is possible but please look into this. 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Greetings,

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released yesterday and include a fix for this issue. Please install the December update, restart your system and verify that you are no longer experiencing the issue.

Thank you for your assistance in reporting, providing additional information and, most of all, for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020
71 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide screenshots or a screen recording of what you are seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it just removed the brush effect under the spot, that's what I'd expect. If larger than the spot then that would not be expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qfIdGyYRGTU" style="max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%;" width="640px"></iframe>

sure hope this shows it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's exactly what is happening but on a larger scale. I just posted a video of it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, I hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows, it does exactly what I'd expect. 

• took a freckled area of skin
  • darkened it with the brush 
  • used spot removal to remove both dark and light spots 
  • no effect on the brushed area either under the spot removal or in the adjoining area
  • same result with
  • both Clone and Heal

Watched the video and couldn't see what you are trying to illustrate. Suggest that you focus on just one area with a single brush stroke and a single spot removal. You move around to fast and show too many areas. Just focus on one. Shot before and after with the brush then remove one spot and show that result. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The spot removal is effecting other brush strokes. It is literally removing parts of the stroke. If you watch it a bit closely you'll see the highlighted areas where I selected to edit with the stroke were removed after I applied the spot removal. It's whacky. Hopeful this gets patched soon cause it's a pretty big glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek,

I stepped through your video frame-by-frame and was particularly interested in the 20-24 second area of the video.  I noticed that though the brush overlay (green) does change after application of the spot heal but that it doesn't appear that the actual effect are is changed - only the overlay. 

Can you confirm this?

Does it happen on all images or just this image? Can you replicate this with a much more obvious adjustment so we can confirm whether this is an overlay artifact or an actual effect problem?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I can confirm it actually removes the effect of the brush. That one was a texture softening effect and once the spot removal was applied I noticed the softening was removed as well. I didn't want to change it because I am not sure if the glitch was a code read error due to the circumstances I applied but it had the same result on multiple photos in that collection. I removed some grass in another photo after applying the brush stroke and noticed it did the same effect where it removed the brush stroke I added. I will attempt to replicate it for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6YOdSSx33yg" style="max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%;" width="640px"></iframe>

Here is another video of the glitch I am experiencing with more dramatic colors to show the spot removal is effecting the brush stroke edit as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to duplicate this on either Mac or Windows. Based on this, I would recommend resetting your preferences

Reset Procedure:

1. Close Lightroom.

2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.

3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.

4. Close Lightroom.

5. Restart Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information. We've logged a bug to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested and confirmed this on my end, too. Win 10 - I haven't tested thoroughly but seeing it when Exposure and/ or Shadows is used in the brush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overview

1. very slow, about 2-3 seconds per spot vs instantaneous on V9.4 
  2. like was reported for MacOS users, removing a spot undoes a brush stroke

I've been trying to recreate the MacOS problem on Windows and finally did it by accident. This is a freshly imported image. Below are screen captures:

1. before brush 

1original-3e0b1d76-591b-4047-9dd2-f29672ea8aad-645004533.jpg

2. after brush

2afterbrush-34acb94f-b4dd-4aa8-9c89-294b1494e9fa-692420995.jpg

3. after removing one spot 

3removeonespot-2e4936ba-828e-440b-bb3f-9bb335282942-691048828.jpg

Depending on the spot, different areas of the bag are affected. 

Just FYI, this is a velvet bag for a Sony headset that could find lint in a NASA clean room. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

1. exported image 2 as a 4K jpeg
  2. imported jpeg 
  3. performance restored, instantaneous spot removal
  4. excellent results
4final-45eee43c-f9c6-4f13-9276-25af88f7bb25-1274636875.jpg

So the trick (technique) until we get a fix:

1. perform all edits except spot removal
  2. export image as a jpeg
  3. import
  4. remove spots 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried reproducing this problem and have been unable to get LrC 10 to misbehave.

Bill, can you provide more detailed steps with screen shots of brush work and spot removal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would add that since I use both LR and PS (along with others) in my workflow. I save all of my spot removal for PS. It is much more reliable and flexible. I have a brush preset that I use in Quick Mask mode utilizing content-aware. With it, I can remove any spots, most items, changing sizes on the fly as well as removing long spots or items, overhead wires, cracks in sidewalks, the dividing crease between cement blocks, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anthony, 

I guess I don't understand what you want in addition to what I already supplied. Let me know and I'll do it sometime on Thursday. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same thing happen yesterday; spot removal in a previously brushed area caused part of the brushwork to disappear, but then removing a second spot caused it to come back. Also several seconds wait for each spot correction to be applied, sometimes with display blackout in the interval. Today I will try working with GPU turned off. Windows 10, LrC 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With GPU turned off everything works fine; instant spot heal and local adjustments. No blackouts. 27 in., 2460x1440 resolution display, Win 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem.

Using Mac version of Adobe Lightroom Classic v10.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues. Windows based

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trick, but not a resolution, use spot removal as the last step in the develop process while we wait for a fix from Adobe. 

The strange thing, is that the problem exists on one photo and then not on another. I've yet to find a pattern. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill I find that's when the problem arises.  I have better luck if I do spot removal at the beginning of the development process.  Doing it AFTER local adjustments is when it spits the dummy out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attached samples earlier to show that it is working the other way for me, however I've since discovered that the problem on my system is completely random. Most of the time, it doesn't happen at all. My Lightroom is completely without any sort of mods, plug-ins, presets, etc.; straight out of the box from Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate