• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: White Balance - As Shot added as a History step automatically when using Embedded Previews

Participant ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange behaviour in the latest release of LR Classic 13.3 (Win). I've imported a shoot and used the embedded previews as I always do.

As I move through the filmstrip in develop every time I click on an image that still has the embedded preview icon showing LR is adding a new White Balance - As Shot to the history for the image. If I undo this step so the history is empty switch to another image and then back again LR doesn't add the WB setting again.

It seems it only happens to images using the embedded preview the first time they are opened in Develop.

It's very annoying as I can no longer use the unedited filter to see if there's any images in my final selection that haven't been edited.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

As usual, great job of sleuthing this out @GoldingD and @John R Ellis and @Ian Lyons 

I've logged it as a bug.

I was able to reproduce it on my Macbook Pro as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 14, 2024 Aug 14, 2024

Greetings all, 

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products are released.  The August 2024 updates contain an update for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for being so patient.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 146 Replies 146
146 Comments
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2024 Jul 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with the "White Balance - As Shot" thing added to the history (this annoys me cause it fools up the before and after feature). I rebuilt the previews from the library tab and this fixed the problem, the "White Balance - As Shot" disappeared from the history in the Develop module...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2024 Aug 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely incredible that this continued mistake in the development of Lightroom for over several years now has not only Adobe Employee eyes on, but moderator and 6 pages of replies to it... and it still isn't fixed. This is genuinely baffling for a corporation that gains revenue hand over fist and can't maintain it's applications in a meaningful and efficient way.

Dissapointing.
For reference I also have had this issue since 2022. If my camera white balance is set to a specific K value (which it has been for 2 years now) it will import and apply a history step as "WB - As Shot" and renders my organizational workflow useless. Great work Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely incredible that this continued mistake in the development of Lightroom for over several years now has not only Adobe Employee eyes on, but moderator and 6 pages of replies to it... and it still isn't fixed. This is genuinely baffling for a corporation that gains revenue hand over fist and can't maintain it's applications in a meaningful and efficient way.

Dissapointing.
For reference I also have had this issue since 2022. If my camera white balance is set to a specific K value (which it has been for 2 years now) it will import and apply a history step as "WB - As Shot" and renders my organizational workflow useless. Great work Adobe

By @ShootingPixelsAndy

You state:

"Absolutely incredible that this continued mistake in the development of Lightroom for over several years now "

Well no, this bug is since May 2024, one version older then the current LrC v13.4. Unfortunately it was not fixed at the time. So this has not been a problem for "several years"

You also state, perhaps to support the previous:

"For reference I also have had this issue since 2022."

I see that you are a new member, so you would not have reported that in 2022. Do you have any references to support that. To the best of my knowledge this just showed up last May, and only for users applying embedded profiles.

Are you perhaps conflating a problem or workflow argument)  where LrC apply's As Shot for WB as seen in the Develop Panel edit panels, that does not match the in camera WB setting, with the issue in this bug, where LrC places a History Step of As Shot as the first History state? It used to be, before this bug, that the As Shot for WB did not show up in the History panel. Despite that in fact being applied. And that is a problem if you want to filter on images you have not edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so you criticize the guy but offer no solution? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution as normal is we wait a few months for Adobe to fix. This one has only shown up around May. Adobe took a bit of time to agree hat it was a bug, and as such it did not get fixed in the last update. Had Adobe immediately agreed it was a bug, we may have seen it fixed at v13.4. It will probably get fixed, in the next update. Often the problem with a bug is to convince Adobe that it is a bug, not a as designed feature. The members managed to get Adobe to state it is a bug, so, it should get fixed. Cross fingers that it gets fixed at next update. When? We common users have no idea, and Adobe does not share that.

This is LrC 101, common process, nothing new. Adobe fouls up, the community members complain by placing a Bug Post, Adobe might come back with not a bug and relocates to discussion. Additional members provide replies showing it is a bug, enough evidence then forces Adobe to state Ok a bug, Adobe log's the Bug, eventually it gets fixed.The post gets relocated again back into Bugs, Adobe may or may not reply as such. Adobe does not state the estimate time to repair. SOP

Oh, and workaround is to either rebuild the library previews, or not use embedded profiles, or to roll back LrC.(v13.2??)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2024 Aug 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Moneeb30461293hccf 

"For reference I also have had this issue since 2022. If my camera white balance is set to a specific K value (which it has been for 2 years now) it will import and apply a history step as "WB - As Shot" and renders my organizational workflow useless. Great work Adobe."

Do you use JPG or raw? If you use raw/DNG - then the white balance you set in the camera is irrelevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,
I have a small issue with LrC develop module.
Once I have all the photos imported and I go through them one by one LrC would mark some photos as 'EDITED' ( small +/- icon in the right bottom corner of the photo) 
It does it randomly and I only go into the photo to look at it without changing anything.
Also what's weird is that it happens to some photos not all of them (totally random).
The problem that I have is when I want LrC to show me only edited photos it shows me the ones that I have edited along with all marked by LrC as edited randomly.
I wonder if that's a program glitch or if there is a setting that I don't know about.
Thank you in advance for all the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@szymonl51419950 Hi there,

We're sorry for the trouble. Are you experiencing this issue with all the catalogs? Do you have multiple catalogs in Lightroom Classic? If you only have one catalog, then it should be an issue with the app preferences. You may try to reset Lightroom Classic preferences back to defaults and see if that helps. Here's how you reset the preferences: https://adobe.ly/3Af602P Let us know if that helps. 

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those files that are marked as edited (but you had not done so) In the History Panel, is the second (above imported) History state White Balance As shot?

GoldingD_0-1722970402158.png

And are you using (on at least the images failing) embedded previews?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GoldingD,

Yes, there is a White Balance As Ahot in the history of those.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to check the embedded previews 😕 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, your problem is probably the one in the following Bug Report. Do not be surprised if your post gets merged into it by a Moderator:

No idea when Adobe will fix this. Hopefully at next update. No idea when the next update or upgrade will occur. The above link has at least one workaround in it (one members reply) 

I could be wrong about that Bug Report occurring with LrC v13.3 and Embedded Profiles, But to see if you chose to use embedded profiles see the following link.

and note that thumbnails (previews) wit.h Embedded Profiles will have a badge, in upper left corner, looking like the one below (left one)

GoldingD_0-1722987814288.png

The image above from the link above it, so if it is hard to see, then you can find it in the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "photo has develop adjustments" icon is appearing on some of my photos that I have not applied any adjustments to. In history, it just has two steps: "import" and "white balance as shot." All of my unadjusted photos without the icon have the same two steps in history. How can I stop Lightroom from adding the icon to unadjusted photos? Also, how can I reset multiple images at once so that they no longer erroneously show the icon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see this existing bug report, and do not be surprised if your post gets merged into it:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-white-balance-as-shot-added-as-a-history-step-automatically-when-using-embedded-previews/idi-p/14635607 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2024 Aug 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all, 

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products are released.  The August 2024 updates contain an update for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for being so patient.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all, 

By Rikk Flohr

Let me see if I can comment, previous attempt failed (or I placed in wrong post)

Looking at the list of issues fixed in v13.5, I do not see this one included. Perhaps a member that has the issue will reply to confirm the issue is resolved.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/fixed-issues.html

16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a quick test and it seems to be fixed but I wouldn't say I've tested enough to be certain yet. I also couldn't see any reference to the fix in the release notes. I thought Adobe's policy was to include information about bug fixes reported by users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ShootingPixelsAndy: "I thought Adobe's policy was to include information about bug fixes reported by users?"

That is the policy, but there are infrequent omissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2024 Aug 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is not been fixed.

It still happened on 13.5

The white balance is shfting automatically while importing the image.

08/23/2024

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the White Balance: As Shot step being added to the history or are you just seeing the white balance update on screen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The bug is that added step in history, not the shift in the white balance. If you import using embedded previews, then Lightroom initially shows the preview that was generated by the camera. When you switch to the develop module, Lightroom will show you its own preview which will always be a bit different.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate