• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

creating groups of keywords

Explorer ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to learn about keywording. I have lists of keywords for people and also for other objects.

I realise that it is much easier to create groupings of keywords for  people or thing that commonly go together as this facilitates loading it into the metadata.

As I would am preparing to create a number of these groupings, it would be easier if they were all together in some place where I can select them..So far I have not found such a solution It seems that with people grouping they are placed in the same list as the individual identifiers..  I have therefore been exploring using names like the beginnin of the telephone directory such as aaamyfirs group. This seems very clumsy and I would like advice on how to solve this problem.

Thanks

Terence

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 11 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

I use the Groups like  Who, What, Where, etc-  (I slip up occasionally with an extra one in the 'parent' list!

KW1.jpg

I have one 'Parent' group dedicated to any new KW that does not match an existing KW- It will automatically be added to this Group-

("#NEW KEYWORDS"  appears at the top of the list because @#$% characters sort before ABCD characters.)

KW1.jpg

And I have nominated the "WHO#" group to be for all keywords marked as 'Person' KWs.

kw2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Hi,

You can have keywords inside keywords, thus effectively acting like folders and subfolders, and for each keyword the possibility to uncheck the "include on export" option.

Personally, I have ~what, ~when, ~where, ~who, etc... as main categories (I always use ~ in front of keywords/folders that are just for organizing and will not be exported).

~what is further subdivided into ~objects, ~animals, ~vegetation, and so on... Within animals I have among others birds (it is exported, so no ~) and wit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Hi,

For me, London should be inside UK. Actually, this is how I have it:

Screenshot 2021-05-07 172105.png

Some might think it's over the top, but for me it's very useful, which in the end is the only thing that matters.

How specific you want to be is really up to you, but I would argue it's best practice to avoid "London, UK" because those are two different entities, one inside the other. When I assign the keyword London to a picture, it automatically gets England, Great Britain, and so on up the hierarchy, which means I can easil

Votes

Translate

Translate

"I was wondering whether they can be used for creating different combinations of participants  such as   Joe,Mary,Allen,Fred      Joe,Allen    Mary Fred      etc"

They could, but it could quickly become a nightmarish situation if you create a set each possible combinations, so you could end up wasting more time than if you tagged people one by one.  But having a set of up to 9 people at one event as a way to see only those present and tag them would definitely help. I do that sometimes for specif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

"..the organisation seems to be persons which contain What Where When and Who. I seem to be stuck with persons as the root."

Post a screen-clip of your keyword list - would be very helpful with answers.

If you are seeing a kw heirarchy like-

Persons

>Who

>What

Then you can simply 'drag' the {Who}and {What} categories up above {Persons} and then 'drag' {Persons} into {Who) so you see this-

What

Who

>Persons

A personal choice, I use Person name keywords in this format-   SURNAME_FIRSTNAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

H Terence,

You're welcome!

"have not yet figured out whether I could simply deleted the names listed below as they should belong to the People keyword"

At first look, it seems that those keywords (Aija,..) might duplicates, and if so you could deleted the ones in the other category. BUT if your "people" and "other" filters somehow overlap, showing some of the same results, then those people keywords are not duplicates at all. You should thus be very careful before deleting them.

To find out, just

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

@sockit While in a 'learning phase' for Keywords- Just select the 'ALL' filter. Leave the 'People/Other' search filters for another day.

Then when you see all your Keywords in the one list it becomes easier to edit and re-arrange KWs.

'People' keywords are just the same as other keywords except for one item- They have the 'Person' box checked. It is only this check-box that determines if a KW appears with the 'People' filter.

Person.jpg

So, with 'all' KWs showing you can Drag&Drop to re-arrange person n

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Hi Terence,

No need to rebuild everything from scratch. To move keywords to the top level, you must drag it either to the very top of the list or between two top level keywords, until you see a thin gray line before letting the mouse button go.

Screenshot 2021-05-09 073754.png

Tbat's how it looks if I want to drag my ~Action keyword to the top, to move it to the same level as ~~Stock keywords and ~ATTRIBUTE.

Whether you drag to the top or between keywords, you have to be precise, as it's just a few pixels tall where this line will

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

You're welcome, Terence!

No secrets here... Stock photography just contains keywords that are not classified yet. I copied my keywords list from LrC to Bridge, where I do most of the keywording for Adobe Stock (that another topic entirely), but those I enter that do not exist yet are simply outside of my classification and I put them there until I can organize them.

Attribute is just one part of a complete (and complex) hierarchy, and it contains other sub-sections such as genre, age, number, colo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

collapsing misspelt names into the correct one

Using the Keyword List panel, you should see both the correct and the misspelt names, like this-

2021-05-11 06_24_54-Window.jpg

To correct this, I select ALL the files with the 'wrong' keyword and check (place a tick) in the 'correct' KW- (so files now have both wrong & correct KWs)

2021-05-11 06_25_25-Window.jpg

Then I remove the photos from the 'wrong' KW by unchecking-

2021-05-11 06_26_12-Window.jpg

Finally I [Delete] the wrong KW, and the selected files now have the 'correct' KW.

Terence, the headers in the KW List [All People Othe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

the number of identified photos

You must first identify, and show in Grid View, ALL photos with the 'wrong' KW, by clicking on the white arrow that appears at the end of a KW.

Then press [Ctrl +A] to be sure you select all that you want to 'convert' to the 'correct' KW. Other than that I am not sure why you see a difference.

No Name apology needed!  My son indroduced my nik-name when he called me "Wobert the Wave Rat" (paddled a surf-ski with that brand at the time).

Robert Cullen 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wobert is a very distinctive and special name and deserves to be prized.
Thanks for sharing this information.   I have done exactly as you
recommended.   I have just found that the number of photos recorded in
the keyword list, however does not match the number of photos brought to
light by clicking on the white arrow, so some are escaping somewhere.
Maybe it is something to do with my attempt to add name tags to
negatives manually as they have not been displayed by the white arrow.

Thanks once again for all the help

Terence Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Maybe it is something to do with my attempt to add name tags to negatives manually as they have not been displayed by the white arrow."

"Manually"? If you mean that you used other software (eg. Bridge) to add the keywords, then Lr-Classic will not know about these KWs unless you force LrC to 'Read' the metadata, if at all possible (eg. XnView 'categories' will not be read by LrC).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Wobert I come back to you only via a new question that I raised which  the system automatically referenced to this old conversation. I am happily filling in my keywords but now realise that I never really understood how you managed to get London under all the where  hierarchy. Did you have to construct that manually or does the system do it for you if you have  Continent Country etc filled in under different headings.? I am developing a huge list of interesting places and now find a need to separate those under country or city I was wondering how I could just look at a smaller list eg by city when I enter new data. To avoid double entries etc.

Thanks

Terence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines