• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Focus Point

Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to see the focus point on my photos taken with a Nikon D 810. Photos are taken in RAW format.   I don't see an option in metadata or elsewhere to view the focus point(s).  Is it hidden, not available, or need a plug-in?  If a plug-in which one to use with LR CC Classic 7.3.1. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is as close as you will get if your camera is supported.   Show Focus Points Plugin for Lightroom   I have no reason to want to see the focus points so I have not tried the plugin.  Past threads said it worked well.   If you try it let us know if it works with Lr7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Sony a7iii, a7Riii and possibly others -- even possibly Canon or Nikon (obviously I shoot Sony, so I don't know about others), you can see the focus point in-camera. To do so, you simply view the image then hit the zoom button. The camera will display the focal point used on the image and will zoom in on that point.

I also would like to see Adobe add a focal point display feature to Lr and Ps, but at least this is available on at least two camera models, so I thought I'd comment for anyone who might find it useful (this does not appear in Sony literature, but was an accidental discovery).

Anyone reading this thread should hit the "I also have this question" button so maybe the folks at Adobe will realize this is a feature desired by many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the camera focus point feature is specific to the camera manufacturer. It is not a standard metadata feature. In order to use that feature is necessary to use software provided by the camera manufacturer. I use a Nikon camera, so if I want to see the focus points it's necessary for me to open the images using software provided from Nikon. If you have a Canon camera then it will be necessary to use software provided from Canon to see the focus points unless that plug-in will work for you. It is unlikely that Lightroom will ever be able to provide focus point preview as a native feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just saw this post as I was looking for "focus point" ability in LR6.  I have been a long time user of Apple Aperture's image editor, currently moving over to LR or possibly DxO (as Apple is dropping support for Aperture).  Anyhow, Aperture has had this ability to show any camera's focus point(s) as a standard feature for quite a few years, not just the focus point used but also the one's not used by the camera.  I always found this feature useful for checking critical focus and checking focus ability of any camera/lens combo.  This only worked on RAW images (not jpeg).  LR is a pretty advanced photo editor so I'm surprised LR (or even Photoshop) does not have this useful feature. From what I understand this focus point information is automatically embedded in all camera RAW files, you just need the ability of the software application to display it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Example from Canon 5D mkII (Aperture image). The red square is the single focus point. Surrounding nine white focus points not used.

Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 1.23.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Example 2 from Canon 1D mkIII (Aperture image). Single focus point used, the red square.  The other 45 points, shown as white boxes were not selected for use but still shown.

Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 1.25.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to add more examples as most everyone who frequents the forum knows what you're describing and has probably asked for it on multiple occasions. Unfortunately, Adobe have shown little interest in providing the feature. That being said, you can add your me too to the feature request thread that Adobe staff monitor Lightroom/Camera Raw: Display camera focus information | Photoshop Family Customer Community

You might also notice that there is an aging plug-in mentioned recently in above thread that might address your needs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New to the forum, so not realized that it was an often requested feature, but it would make sense, I'm sure I'm not alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not alone, and if you go to the last post on the forum thread I linked to you'll find a Lightroom plug-in that does what you're asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following your logic, LR would not be able to decipher all the various "proprietary" raw formats that it clearly does very well. It's a matter of "want to" not "could."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then how do you explain that Affinity Photo can display the focus points?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did see that this discussion is about 2 years old, did ya'?

Add your voice here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/lightroomcamera-raw-display-camera-f...

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>>>Then how do you explain that Affinity Photo can display the focus points?

The "Show AF Regions" feature in Affinity Photo is limited to Canon cameras at this stage and is not 100% reliable

Affinity Help docs

AP Forum discussion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been disappointed with the lack of a focus points over laid on the photo in LR. I have a Nikon so I use their app to show focus points. The Nikon app works great but it will not edit or process like Lightroom! I did find a 3rd party app, it's a free download. It operates as a plugin to LR. I have not tried it because it does not appear to have been updated since 2017.

Based on the developer's FAQ, the app will not work on photos where back button focus was used. I thought that to be odd. The app's developer states that back button focus data will not be recorded because the camera assumes that the focus lock did not occur at the time the shutter was tripped. So if you used the shutter button the app will display it.

The Nikon app does show focus points with back button focus without any issue. So who knows what it takes to show focus points. Some proprietary software or function issue? So Adobe has nothing to show focus points. I am going to continue to use the Nikon app for focus points and LR for all other post process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines