• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 4 won't open: Error 0xc000007b

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using lightroom 4 for a while with no problem now it wont open up and error message 0xc0000078 comes up. I have rebbooted reinstalled etc. I installed version 3 and that worked when I upgraded version 3 to 3.6 I had the same problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Good day all,

Based on your suggestions and feedback we have updated our documentation on this issue with some new solutions.

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/error-unable-start-correctly-0xc00007b.html

Let us know if this helps, or feel free to post if you have more questions or still are seeing the error.

Thanks!

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 101 Replies 101
Advocate ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2012 Nov 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aztecvision: I think I'm having the same problem. I've been using Lightroom 4.2 on an HP Windows 7 machine for months without problems.  All of a sudden it refused to start the other day, giving me the following message:

• The application was unable to start correctly (0xC000007B)

I've read just about every message on the forums to no avail.  Perhaps we can help this out together.  A few questions for you:

• When did you last successfully run LR?  When did you notice it was broken?  (I successfully ran LR on 11/4 and discovered it broken on 11/7.)
  • Have you installed or uninstalled any software?  In particular, did you install iLivid or uninstall the HP Support Assistant?  (In my case, a family member had foolishly installed the former, and I had uninstalled the latter.)
  • Did Windows apply any updates?  (There were a few on my system, but I think they were just virus definitions.)
  • Have you tried doing a system restore to an earlier restore point?  (You might want to backup your computer before doing this.)

Following the advice of the forums, here is what I tried to fix it.  None of these things worked:

1. Uninstalling iLivid.
  2. Trying to do a Windows system restore from an earlier point.  (This is not a backup restore; it changes registry and program installs.)  I was able to do this successfully from one point, but it didn't resolve the problem.  After undoing the restore, I was not able to go back to any of the earlier restore points, getting a "catastrophic failure message".  I also tried the restores from Windows safe mode, but this had the same problem.
  3. Running "chkdsk /r", which didn't find any problems.  I also retried (2) after this to no avail.
  4. Running a full MS antivirus scan which didn't find anything.
  5. Uninstalling all versions of LR and reinstalling 4.3-RC1.
  6. Reinstalling the HP support assistant.
  7. Uninstalling LR with the MS program install/uninstall tool, which is a replacement for the msicuu2.exe, then reinstalling.
  8. Running the Adobe CSS cleaner and reinstalling.

Finally, I installed the 32 bit version of LR-4.3-RC1 by manually running setup32 from the LR install directory.  This worked!  But it's less than desirable since the performance is presumably less than the 64 bit version.  I'd really like to figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting I did install livid isbthatbthe problem? Will uninstall and try it that way. The program was working fine until a few days ago just after I installed livid. Version 3 works fine but it will not update anything else

Will let you know what happens

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just removed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just removed Ilivid same result . Are you loading from a disc or is it a

download I am wondering if loading from a disc might be sucessful.

Regardss

David H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can load lightroom 3 , 64bit from a disc with no problem. Will try to

call adobe in the morning.

Let me know how you are getting on

Regards

DH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DH: I'm not surprised that uninstalling iLivid didn't solve the problem.  It didn't work for me.  Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "from a disc".  I presume you mean installed via CD instead of a download.  I doubt that would make a difference.  It is interesting that your LR 3 still works, because mine didn't.

I found a third person who can relate this problem to iLivid (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4839230), so I think we're on to something.  I've emailed iLivid support for some guidance.  In the meanwhile, you could try a Windows system restore to before you install iLivid.  I'd be really interested in the results of this, because it should in theory solve the problem but it didn't work for me.  It's easy, just type "system restore" in your start menu, then chose a custom restore point. But I'll warn you: you really should back up your computer before doing this.  Don't blame me if your computer breaks.

If you don't want to try that, you can always use the 32 bit version--which might be slower--or wait to see if I can find more information.  I think the next step might be to try some Windows forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm haaving the same issue with lightroom 3. Also after installing iLivid and uninstalling. I have just upgraded to windows 8 and this made no difference. Everything online seems to point in circles, someone asks about the issue but just gets pointed to someone else asking with no real solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things that I have tried:

Deleting iLivid

Reinstalling Windows 7

Reinstalling light room all the way back to version 3( 64bit) (from disc)

successfull

Upgrading to 3.6 message 0xc000007b appears

Downloading 4.2 from website 0xc000007b appears

I am now assuming that if ilivid is the culprit it has left behind some

ghost files that neither I nor my computer can find.

Mabye it is the download that is the problem and loading the from CD is the

solution.Has anybody loaded 4.2 from a CD and are they getting the same

error message??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ehen you say reinstalled windows, did you do a clean install? im wondering if thats an option but if you tried it then no point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it was not a clean install it was a repair job

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already done a system restore no luck unfortuately so will keep on

checking forums. Yes 3 works but problems comes back when I try to update

to 3,6 .Photoshop CS5 remains unaffected, strange!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

drevil270183: you're now the fourth person who can confirm the problem is related to iLivid.  This is disconcerting. I hope iLivid responds to my support inquiry.

If we really want to dig deeper, I suspect we might have to do some detective work.  Here's a proposal:

1. Find a Windows 7 computer that has never had iLivid installed.  Maybe someone has an extra computer or is willing to wipe the hard drive.  Or perhaps someone could set up a fresh install in a VMware instance.
  2. Install LR 4 and make sure it works.
  3. Take a snapshot of the hard drive and registry.
  4. Install iLivid.
  5. Verify that LR no longer works.
  6. Compare the hard drive and registry with that of step (3).  I suspect we'll see that some DLL's have been modified.

Any volunteers?  My hope is that we learn something in step (6) that can lead us to a solution.  Unfortunately I don't have an extra computer or VMware instance to do step (1).

If you really want to do a pro job, take a video of the work.  We can use this to show iLivid the problem, or post it on YouTube if they don't respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I'm happy to do that - I've a spare HD that can use to install a clean Win 7 64bit install and do a pre/post iLivid comparison. I'll try and do it tonight - wife and kids permitting!

I'll post back my results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, w7r!   I hope your family is understanding.   I've never done this sort of pre/post comparison, but a quick Google search gives some tips

Also, I definitely encourage you to set up a video camera on a tripod, as this gives definitive proof. We can always edit the video down later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry cant help as my other computer has just died this has all happened on

my new one. Has anybody loaded version 4 up from a CD and gotten th esame

message or has everyone downloaded the program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I sorted it on my PC. It may or may not work for you but this is what I did.

I uninstalled Lightroom 3.2 for my computer.

Ran my lavasoft Virus Software which found some dodgy stuff and got rid of those.

I then downloaded some free registry clean up software and that ran through the programs currently on my pc and cleaned those up and then the registry too.

I then rebooted and installed lightroom again. So far it all works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys. okay - bingo!

1. install fresh 64bit Win7

2. created system restore point pre LR 4.2 install

3. installed LR 4.2 - rebooted

4. ran LR 4.2 - worked fine

5. created another system restore point pre iLivid install

6. down iLivid and install

7 ran LR 4.2 and bang got the error message we've been seeing.

Didn't have time to set-up a video camera but could try and find time later in the week.

So, finger pointed fairly and squarely at iLivid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

w7r: thanks for doing this!  Have you found any obvious differences pre/post install?  I can help analyze if you send me directory listings before/after as text files.

drevil: that is really interesting.  I ran two MS antivirus programs which didn't find anything.  Did you notice what exactly Lavasoft removed?  Did you try LR after this but before the registry cleanup?  Also, which registry cleanup tool did you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great effort,I have upgraded kapersky but still no signs of any virus did lava soft tell you file location....

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

w7r: on second thought, maybe you should try running Lavasoft and seeing what it removes.  That might be easier than trying to diff pre/post.  Of course, this assumes w7r doesn't remember what Lavasoft removed from his computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran Malwarebytes on my computer.  It found and removed a bunch of stuff.  Alas LR-64 still fails to start even after reinstalling.  I'm going to try Lavasoft AdAware, but I'm not optimistic.  Even if I get LR-64 working again, I will worry that my computer is hopelessly compromised.  I may need to just reinstall Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2012 Nov 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problems, only with Lightroom 4.2 64 bit on my 64 bit Windows 7.  It began by failing to open when I had Lightroom 3.2 installed, a few weeks ago.  I was planning to upgrade to version 4 anyway, so ordered it hoping that it would solve the problem.  It didn't.  I installed the 32 bit version, but it is very slow and runs out of memory with my large raw files - it can't use the 16MB installed memory.

I have heard of iLivid, but there is no trace of it on this machine.

In trying to fix the problem, I ran chkdsk /r and fixed some errors.  It must have zapped some system files, so I had to do a Windows repair (what a pain).  And, it did not fix the problem.

Per the above posts I will run all of my virus scanner software and CCLEANER and see if it fixes anything.

John Samuels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2012 Nov 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Ilivid and now my lightroom doesn't work.  I am going through a divorce and my husband used to help me with my IT stuff and I am not smart with this at all.  It looks like from the comments above I will have to reinstall Windows.  Any tips on how I do this without the disk?  Also, when I do this will my library and presets in Lightroom be saved.

Thank you in advance 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines