• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC displays the same images in parent folder and in subfolder

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import images from an SD card into a subfolder LR CC puts the images into the subfolder and into the parent of that folder. If I try to delete one set of images LR CC deletes the images from both locations. Note: I did not check "Create a second copy" on Import. Please see my attached images.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

By default, in LrC, when you select a folder, all photos in that folder and subfolders are shown. So, in your screen shots, you have a folder selected, not a subfolder, and you think that images are in both.

To turn that option off, in the menu panel up top, click on Library, uncheck Include Photos from Subfolders.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/create-folders.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a question for the Lightroom Classic forum. I am going to move your post over there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default, in LrC, when you select a folder, all photos in that folder and subfolders are shown. So, in your screen shots, you have a folder selected, not a subfolder, and you think that images are in both.

To turn that option off, in the menu panel up top, click on Library, uncheck Include Photos from Subfolders.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/create-folders.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The advice by Golding is the solution. Browsing the folders in lightroom is not the same as using a browser application in your operating system. It's a good idea to utilize the many tutorials available that describe how the Lightroom Catalog file functions.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not found a tutorial that covers this situation. When I attempted to consolidate images in a folder from the subfolders by copying and pasting the photos into the folder.  Some photos moved but I got a message that said a portion each subfolders photos were already in the folder. When I delete the remaining photos in the subfolders, the photos in the folder are also deleted. If they are duplicate files, why can I not delete them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must understand that there are TWO ways you can show images in Parent Folders and sub-folders.

It depends what option you have selected-

You have the option to check [Show Photos in Subfolders] either ON or OFF:

First checked ON:  The image numbers (and the Previews in Grid view) are the TOTAL of ALL images in the Parent Folder PLUS all the images in any Sub-folders:

2021-08-27 14_22_21-Roberts Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg2021-08-27 14_22_30-Roberts Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

Next checked OFF:  Any selected Folder, including a Parent folder, will only show the number of images in that specific folder:

2021-08-27 14_22_45-Roberts Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg2021-08-27 14_22_51-Roberts Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

Now to your question-  I suggest your images are NOT duplicated. You have no need to "Consolidate" images. You are seeing the SAME IMAGE because [Show ....subfolders] is checked ON. And you may be not understanding that an image shown with the Master Folder selected is actually in a sub-folder. Likewise an image that appears to be in the Parent folder will be deleted from its sub-folder location if you [Delete] that image.

You cannot Copy&Paste image files as Lightroom-Classic only allows one reference to an image in the Library.

From Lightroom-Classic Help: " By default, selecting a folder shows all photos in that folder and all subfolders in the Grid view and the Filmstrip. To show only the photos in the selected folder, choose Library > Include Photos From Subfolders to deselect it."

A Tutorial by Julianne Kost on this topic can be found here-

https://youtu.be/5LZSqvXBwBw

And Laura Shoe also presents some good advice here-

https://laurashoe.com/2016/12/29/clean-up-your-files-and-folders-in-lightroom/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. This is very helpful.

You're correct, I didn't Copy/Paste, I selected all the photos in a folder and dragged them to the parent folder. My intent was to get rid of the subfolders but keep the images in the parent folder only. If I understand correctly, a subfolder with photos that did not move to the parent folder because "files already exist at that location" can safely be deleted and I will be able to see the the photos in the parent folder as long as I have "Show Photos in Subfolders" checked.  

I noticed that if I drag a subfolder to a different parent folder and "Show Photos in Subfolders" is not checked, the subfolder moves but the photos will remain in the original parent folder. In this case, if "Show Photos in Subfolders" is checked, the subfolder moves and the images show in the new parent folder.  All good to know. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines