Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Activation or Deactivation versions of Lightroom 6

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have installed LR 6 on new machine. I can't activate it unless deactivated on other machine. So on other machine I did "Sign out". There is a message - "it will deactivate LR on this machine" - I clicked OK. Still can't activate. On my Adobe account there is nothing under Plans and payment->Activated devices.

So haw can I use a product on new machine? I know LR 6 is quite old, but still it is something I purchuased and I want to use.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Adobe no longer supports Lightroom 6.14 (perpetual).

What does this mean?

• Installers, one-on-one technical support, security fixes, and bug fixes are not available for perpetual license versions. User to user led support is available through our Adobe Support Community.

For the latest updates and fixes please subscribe to a Photography, Lightroom, or Creative Cloud plan. Please be aware that there are two versions of Lightroom today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

This is a reminder that the Download Availability for Lightroom 6.14 is fast approaching. Please be sure to download it before December 31, 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 508 Replies 508
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens when I try to use LR 5.4

a error.png

That is unrelated to the registration process.

Try Troubleshooting guide for errors that can occur when you change modules in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BY THE WAY....

* is  6.4 a possible stand alone update /upgrade?

* Does it require an additional purchase above 5.4 - 5.7.1 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BY THE WAY....

* is  6.4 a possible stand alone update /upgrade?

Not from Adobe. Adobe no longer sells it. Hasn't been updated since Dec 2017 and never will be.

You might be able to pick it up from Amazon but you're buying outdated, potentially insecure, software. Consider subscribing to get the latest version and see what you think.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Adobe-65237578-Photoshop-Lightroom-6/dp/B00VWCKJVA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?tag=sum...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I probably sound like a noobie - I'm not.  I'm fully aware of Adobe's cloud pay until you die, never own your software method. 

I also know there's no stand alone beyond 6.4, nor more updates, and there's no non-cloud versions beyond this.  I had already found it on Amazon, who screwed up my last LR digital download, so I'm first going to try to get them to replace it with 6.

Anyway... I figured the error didn't involve the licensing process, but it's the only time the error appears.  I'll check over the link you provided though, if it appears again after the reinstall. 

Otherwise... there's just too many overlapping, convoluted, different, varying yet similar situations dealing with the possible problem of Adobe requiring registering with their invasive register manager.

oh well... off to the digital dungeon.  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am late to this thread, but some comments-

Did you try the advice in Solution 6 of the link given by John Waller​ in Post#7 above?

"6.4"- is that a typo?  the last version of 6 was 6.14 (six-fourteen, not six-four).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Wobert

Yes... meant 6.14.  Figured since there was no 6.4 people would get it.  Regardless, the last two stand alone versions o figured was known.

Can’t say if I tried whatever option you were referring to.  Why not just name the option?  I might be able to say.

i guess the point of my original posting was...

if there was no activating method in 5 before - there is now - at least in 5.4 and 6.14?or whatever it is,  I’ve got so many downloaded - hard To keep straight.

I think it’s more an effort to push cloud sales because when activating a  license - you’re activating basically a trial version you’ve downloaded and you can buy, but the only option is to buy cloud  (or enter a serial number if you have one)

@Wobert 

if youre asking did I buy a cloud service?  No, why would I?  Although I disagree that buying & using software fron Amazon is insecure, and as a statement gas absolutely no validity (if direct from Amazon)  I have a perfectly good working version.

im writing in two strings on this so things are getting crossed.  The issue now is - although I have a completely valid license, confirmed by two agents - they don’t know why their system isn’t allowing me to use it.  Adobe application manager, which I’ve never liked is saying my license is invalid.  I even have the license showing in my adobe account, registered, and fully valid.

its Nothing with my software.  I’ve done new clean installs with two versions and they produce the same error.  5.4 and I think it’s 5.7.1?    And 6 isn’t going to help. BeCause again - it’s not the software ... the issue is in the confirming of the s/n.   If any software were the problem- it most likely would be the adobe’s manager.

anyway... I’ve got other software to use.  I’ll probabl just dump LR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As another user I have had similar problems and understand your frustration with installing.

The 'Solution 6' I referred to is-

Solution 6: Set correct permissions on Lightroom folder inside Application Support.

Note: Use this solution if you are asked for your serial number after you relaunch Lightroom after getting this error.

The Lightroom folder inside Application Support could have the wrong permissions preventing Lightroom from writing to it, which can cause this error.

• Navigate to the following folder: /Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom.
  • Highlight the Lightroom folder and chose File > Get Information.
  • Under Sharing & Permission, verify that you have Read & Write Privileges. If not, click the padlock icon at the lower right, enter your password when prompted, then click the Read only entry and select Read & Write.

Important: (macOS) Apple made the user library folder hidden by default with the release of OS X 10.7. If you need access to files in the hidden library folder to perform Adobe-related troubleshooting, see How to access hidden user library files.

If I were in your situation (wanting to use v5.7) I would-

1) Backup my Catalog,

2) uninstall Lightroom,

3) Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to 'wipe' my system clean of any residual Adobe Creative Cloud 'stuff'.

4) re-install v5.7 from the Download Site, Download Photoshop Lightroom    and 

5) 'Activate' with the eligible Serial Number.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WobertC

QUOTE WobertC:

As another user I have had similar problems and understand your frustration with installing.  The 'Solution 6' I referred to is-

Solution 6: Set correct permissions on Lightroom folder inside Application Support. Note: Use this solution if you are asked for your serial number after you relaunch Lightroom after getting this error.

The Lightroom folder inside Application Support could have the wrong permissions preventing Lightroom from writing to it, which can cause this error.

• Navigate to the following folder: /Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom.
  • Highlight the Lightroom folder and chose File > Get Information.
  • Under Sharing & Permission, verify that you have Read & Write Privileges. If not, click the padlock icon at the lower right, enter your password when prompted, then click the Read only entry and select Read & Write.

Important: (macOS) Apple made the user library folder hidden by default with the release of OS X 10.7. If you need access to files in the hidden library folder to perform Adobe-related troubleshooting, see How to access hidden user library files.

========================================================

PREFACE:  Before getting into this again - someone asked what macOS I was working with because of potential compatibility issues.  PLEASE believe me... after 34 years - I KNOW what I'm doing with installing, reinstalling, system requirements, and cross compatibility.  With that said - here's some of my specs:

macOS:        10.13.6 (High Sierra) it can no longer be updated due to hardware.

HARWARE:   iMac 27" /3.4 ghz Intel core i7 / 32gb RAM /1tb HD

LR:  Currently (trying) to work with either 5.4, 5.7.1

I'd consider 6 if there were enough benefits and changes that were made beyond 5.7 ?

ONWARD______________________________________________

I appreciate the continued efforts and desire to help, even when I've already thrown up the white flag.  Since you took time to reply though, I'll quickly respond.  In short - first addressing each of your numbered points of possible action:

1) Backup my Catalog,

Don't need to.  I'm starting with a CLEAN, FRESHLY wiped Macintosh.  I have absolutely no LR files, directories, catalogues or anything.  Other than the installer(s) in compressed form from installing - I don't have anything.  I'll address your suggestion of clearing LR files in another point following.

2) uninstall Lightroom

Didn't really need to worry about this either.  Since having a wiped Mac - I was starting brand new with a fresh clean install of LR.  However, since then in all my efforts - I've had to uninstall and had just done so, on this last round when I "thought" my license number was going to stick.  Anyway... done so at least three times since starting this effort.

3) Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to 'wipe' my system clean of any residual Adobe Creative Cloud 'stuff'.

This I have not done, however, I believe I've stated earlier, maybe a couple times.  I've NEVER used ANY cloud products or services.  Maybe on my iPhone, but if I have - not with any or much effort as I use other mobile editing tools on my iOS products. 

* However, I still plan on finding this "cloud cleaner" and running it.

4) re-install v5.7 from the Download Site, Download Photoshop Lightroom    and 

5) 'Activate' with the eligible Serial Number.

Done, stated before - repeated and stated, and done /said again like..... three times.  Adobe's registration system thinks I have an invalid license /serial number.  But as I've stated - my number has been confirmed valid by two Adobe agents, and is even already showing registered on my Adobe account along with my other Adobe products.  (none cloud)

Maybe this is why.  I know there's a process to UNregister (or some term) Adobe products, but I don't really need to do that.  It's only if you're transferring a license, migrating your application to another computer, and Im not.

CONTINUED:                                                                                                 

I'll also ook over the page regarding errors with modules, and see if there's another page specifically addressing licencing issues.  I know there is, but what I saw -- I've already done, or don't address my specific problem.

I am, however convinced however, Adobe is having issues on their side confirming valid licensing /serial numbers.  To Note:  I went through to check permissions on the Adobe folder, and there's nothing wrong.  I have full permission, and even running under an administrator user.

By the way... I guess I've not been clear.  No matter when LR is started up... for the first time after a new install, or trying to start it after supposedly registering the license number - the box to perform "irst time licensing" appears.  It's done this from a cleanly, and newly installed LR - - - YES from my own LR cd installer, as well as (5.7.1) downloaded directly from Adobe.

Please note, I have found only ONE LR 5 version available for download from Adobe (or otherwise)  -- >  5.7.1  There is no longer 5.4, nor 5.0 to download. 

And not that I give Adobe agents any credibility anyway ---  as even an inept Adobe supervisor didn't know 5 or 5.4 wasn't available who tried to  get me to download a 5.0 installer from a 3rd party website - which turned out to be 5.7.1 anyway -- not 5.0 nor 5.4 as he assumed.

But I DO still have 5.4 backed up on an external drive that I've also been trying to work with (and tried reinstalling)   Same issues... same problems go with 5.4 or 5.7.1

SUMMARY:

Even though I don't think it will address my situation - I'm heading to get the cloud cleaner, and will again, completely wipe my computer of any& all Lightroom software that's been installed, but NOT any installers.  They're all directly from Adobe.  Downloading again won't serve any purpose.

So there it is.  It's all I got.  Dare I ask? ..... suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a little research it seems you may be 'out of luck' trying to run 5.7.1 in Mac High Sierra.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-macos-high-sierra-compatibility/

"many people report that they don’t open, or crash regularly."

If you are adverse to the Adobe subscription method for Creative Cloud, then you will have to look for other software.

Even trying to purchase v6 (to 6.14) will be very risky as Op systems are upgraded and support ceases.

Thanks for your very comprehensive reply with details. Just sorry you cannot get your Lightroom 'up and running'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quickly read the article in the Link you posted.  If basing a conclusion on a single article with a vague reference to “many” users - I can understand the hesitancy.

Honestly - I haven’t used my LR in quite some time and I’ve merely been trying to use what I have at the moment - if at all possible - without buying “more” -  and definitely not any cloud!

i will say the cloud cleaner app didn’t do anything but I did an exhaustive manual uninstall - then installed 5.4.  The licensing issue is gone but who knows if Adobe fixed something on their side.

However, still having: “an error occurred when attempting to change modules” I then updated to 5.7.1.  No invalid certificate issues, but the module problem is still there.

LR doesn’t crash ... so to say, but hangs on the Identity Plate Editor, and still getting the module error.  So there is certainly something hinky.

I’m not going to be updating the Mac OS so LR6 my be very much a viable option for my needs.  I’m currently looking for any options to correct the module issue.

And what’s really stupid with Adobe - if I wanted I can easily go back to not even photoshop but PSE 12 or 14 and those work FINE, but not their older LR flagship.  Sad.

( sigh)

ps - sorry for all/any typos & spelling all of which of been reault of half of my replies originating on my iPhone and big thumbs and dumb autocorrecT.   LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WobertC

Well Wobert... thanks for your patience with this frustrated LR customer.  I don't think I really need to continue any trouble shooting.  Admittedly - I've been stubbornly in denial.  Having different issues pop up at the same time made it more difficult, and having LR .... "almost" fully working - it just seemed it was possible to work.

Anyway... I found this page and statement when looking for module issues, since the license issue seemed to have subsided.

From Adobe page, "Lightroom and Sierra |  macOS 10.12"

I found this supposed "solution" which really isn't a solution.   It's so bluntly put - I've not wanted to acknowledge it.   (LOL)

Solution

To avoid these compatibility issues on macOS 10.12 (Sierra):

• Update to Lightroom 2015.7/Lightroom 6.7,  or
  • Remain on your current Mac OS X version and do NOT update to macOS 10.12 (Sierra) if you are running Lightroom 5 or earlier.

LINK:  Known issues - Running Lightroom CC on macOS 10.12 Sierra

thanks all for your patience.  I'm looking for 6.7 now.  If anyone knows where to get a cheap version?  😉  LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My laptop completely died. SSD hard drive failed. It's toast. It had Lightroom 6 on it. I've been all through my Adobe account and Creative Cloud app and there is no way anywhere to deactivate Lightroom on it.

How to I take it off a machine that is dead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi iskousgard,

You can install Creative cloud subscription on two machines at the same, therefor you can install it on the another machine. If in case you face any trouble or get any error message do let us know.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi iskousgard,

Lightroom 6 must be uninstalled in order to be deactivated. If your computer is inaccessible, send me your Adobe_ID via PM and we'll look into it.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive tried all the ways here and can't get passed the go back to the forum suggestion.

I't can't be that difficult surly ?

Any simple directions would great or do Adobe have to do it ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is Lightroom CC, just logout from the Creative Cloud or if it is Lightroom 6 choose Help-> Sign Out (Adobe ID)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i need help taking adobe photoshop lightroom classic off my computer/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do i deactivate my adobe Photoshop light room classic from my computer? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is "deactivated" or uninstalled or removed from your computer the same way any other computer application is removed from your computer through the standard installation process that you normally use to uninstall any other computer application. That process will remove the Lightroom program and all associated program files. However it will NOT remove your images. Be aware however, that all of your editing will be gone because it will have been contained in the Lightroom catalog, which will still be on your computer, but you won't have any way to access those adjustments. That is, of course, unless you have used the option to write changes to XMP files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deactivate your Lightroom Classic application can be achieved by Siging out from the Creative Cloud application you can reactivate by signing in from the same application.

Your can uninstall as described by Jim Hess above.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes, you mention signing out from the CC application to deactivate a Classic install of Lightroom. This seems contradictory to me. I my case I have NO Creative Cloud apps installed on my computer. I am searching around for clear instructions on how to remove/deactivate Lightroom Classic from my Mac (Sierra) so I can use Lightroom Classic on a new Mac I am buying.

I can't find an Adobe page which gives instructions for this. I'm not sure this discussion provides the information I need. JimHess mentions "the standard installation process that you normally use to uninstall any other computer application.", which would mean deleting the app from the Applications folder. (?)

At any rate, requesting information on how to delete or deactivate Lightroom Classic from my computer and install/activate it on my new one. I have the serial number and an original CDR of what must be the original Lightroom.

If at all possible, I would like to retain all of the various presets I have created/acquired over the years. I have located them in Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom.

Thanks in advance. Hope I've been clear and polite in my post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Etnier  wrote

At any rate, requesting information on how to delete or deactivate Lightroom Classic from my computer and install/activate it on my new one. I have the serial number and an original CDR of what must be the original Lightroom.

Lightroom Classic does not use a serial number, and is only available by subscription.

I suspect that you have an older version of Lightroom, like 5 or 6, with a perpetual licence.

What is the version number?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur with Per.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, all. That was just ignorance on my part. I have version 6.14. What should I do?

As to my question about presets, I assume that after I migrate to the new machine I can just copy the appropriate files/folder into the location described above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Have a look at the instructions at the above link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines