• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Colored "pixel" artifacts/subdued blacks in shadow areas (older Macs) (also visible on CR)

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated LrC to 12.4 yesyerday. Since then a number of pixels in multiple colors appear appear quite often on the image, mostly in the areas of blacks/darks and when using Tone Curve commands. It's similar to the red/blue pixels which denoted clipping in the areas of blacks/whites, but they appear in very many different other colors. Sometimes they disappear, or decrease, after actioning the commands again, sometimes they do not. Is anybody else facing the same problem which I encounter now for the vey first time after many years of use of LrC? Thank you in advance for your advise.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Summary:

We can still not replicate this failure on test or production machines at Adobe. This appears to occur on Lightroom 12.4/Camera Raw 15.4 and later on very old Macs (8 Years and older) and is likely due to out-of-date video drivers on no longer-supported or updated GPUs.

The issue manifests as visual color artifacts in the Develop view only but doesn't always appear on exported images. It can also manifest as less-than-black deep shadow areas.

• Some customers report that disabling GPU rest

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 386 Replies 386
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Verifying that I have LR 13.1 - nothing works except changing the calibration to Version 4 on EVERY image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a 2015 MacBook Pro that works great and am having the aforementioned issues that you have really helped me manage. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there still no resolution to this issue? Outside of going back to an older version of LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many have reported that running LR 13.1 and setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Off works around the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe so. But not for me.

Get Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola!

He tenido problemas con mi imac y desde que he reinstalado LR me aparecen algunas imágenes en el módulo de revelar como posterizadas.

Luego al exportarlas las imágenes se ven bien y si las abro en el PS también, así que deduzco que no debería de ser de ningún problema ni de las imágenes, ni del ordenador.

Alguien sabe de que puede ser?

Gracias

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-26 at 19.01.19.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-01-29 at 10.14.21.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-01-29 at 10.15.57.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Building on dj_paige's reply, see this post for several workarounds:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-colored-quot-pixel-quot-artifacts-sub...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know what is happening here? I updated to version 13.1 and since then, this colour distortion (or whatever it is) has been happening in Develop mode. I haven't touched the histogram at all (but have played around with it and nothing helps). It makes editing very difficult. Let me know if any of you have any thoughts that could help. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2024-01-31 at 4.13.46 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ONLY thing that has worked for me (and I have tried ALL worarounds after spending several hours on the phone with Adobe), is changing the CALIBRATION to Version 4 from Version 6.  Unfortunately, you can't SYNC this and you have to do this for every single image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't have tried all the work arounds, or else you have a different problem ;). Lr 12.3 works.  It's the last version guaranteed to work.  Lr 13.1 apparently works if you disable GPU support.  If you're on a version of macOS that doesn't support Lr 13, don't use 12.4 or 12.5, go back to 12.3.  Rolling back to old versions requires you to save your metadata to your images first and then potentially re-import it if the catalogue isn't compatible, possibly losing some newer features, virtual copies, etc, but it works better in the long run.

This problem has been known about since the middle of last year.  No word whatsoever from Adobe.  I can only assume they have no plans to fix this for people who can't upgrade past macOS 11 Big Sur.  Adobe will quite happily continue taking your montly ransome and give nothing in return.  Shame on Adobe.

SHAME ON ADOBE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens with Mac OS 12.7, too, so it's not just affecting OS 11. None of the suggested fixes have worked for me, however, I do notice that if I switch from Develop to Library mode, the weird colors go away and you can see the results of the edits you've made while in Develop. Not a perfect solution, but better than nothing. Also I have found if you are exporting the affected images to JPEG it is best to export from Library mode for that reason — that way the artifacts don't show up in the exported file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't about the version of macOS you are running, but the version of Lightroom.  Adobe broke Lr between Lr versions 12.3 and 12.4.

I haven't haven't used Lr 13, but apparently they introduced another regression in 13.0 where it used the GPU for exports, even if GPU support was disabled in the Lr settings.  This later regression is supposedly fixed in Lr 13.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When loading images into Lightroom Classic I am seeing extreme noise in the dark areas of the image in processed in version 6. When I switch the process version to 3 or 4 the noise disappears. I am running on macOS Montery. The images are CR2, CR3 raw image from Canon 5D M II and Canon R6 M II.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are on an older Mac (which would be my guess since you are only on Monterey), your problem is probably this: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-colored-quot-pixel-quot-artifacts-sub...

The fix is to turn off gpu acceleration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That was the problem. I disabled my GPU function and everything is back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got some old photos that could really benefit from modern noise reduction. 
I ran the noise reduction, and the first thing I noticed was blue in the deepest shadows, I then noticed weird posterization in other shadows.
When I exited to loupe mode, the weird effects disappeared.  This is good in terms of getting a final image, but it's still impossible to do careful processing in develop when that isn't what the image will look like.

I'm running lightroom classic 13.1 on Monterey on a late 2013 trashcan mac proScreen Shot 2024-02-04 at 4.32.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-02-04 at 4.32.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running the latest update for Lighroom Classic, on a MacOS Monterey 12.7.2

When I edit photos (usually of a dark coloured dog), on my preview any harsher shadows come up grainy, and either a hue of orange/red/green, and almost inverted??

I've attached some images of how it appears in my preview, and how it saves once exported (Which is usually normal) But it is obviously inconvienient and a bit furstrtating not being able to see how the image looks before exporting....

And ideas on how to fix would be great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines