• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace

The recommended order for applying edits is:

1. Denoise 
  2. Heal (includes Generative AI Remove)
  3. Crop (includes traditional Cropping, Lens Correction, Transform, or any operation changing the geometry of the image)
  4. Edit
  5. AI Selective edits

If you deviate from that, you may see the removed object remain as a ghost image. If this occurs, you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1329 Replies 1329
New Here ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's incredibly useful, though clearly needs refinement. It took 4 attempts to fully remove a mid greyish pattern from a light blue background. Look forward to its continuing development. Amazing as l come from the world when we only had Photoshop 4!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has advised that Generative Remove as 'Earl Access' to indicate that it's still 'work in progress'. They've also provided this thread for customers to provide feedback. In most cases text is sufficient, but in others a screenshot showing how/where Generative Remove failed would be helpful.  Can you provide a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just started useing today and works good, but removing a home in the tree line on a marsh land photo on nikon nef file 'not edited' the results are very good 'BUT' appling "denoise" on this file the resaulting DNG has seem to attempt to reconstruct the home in a somewhat haphazard way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography  addressed this type of problem arlier in thread as folLows:

"This is the preferred order: Denoise - Heal(Including Gen Remove)- Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it really the case that in the current heal and clone stamp modes, you can't reposition the reference points of a healing spot anymore?

Right now, I can still reposition the area I want to heal but not its reference area. It's a bit of a bummer since I can't clone stamp essentially because I can't choose what I want to clone. I can only rely on the refresh button wherein I'll hope and pray Lightroom hits my desired reference area but I can't set it manually as I can't drag the reference area at all.

Or perhaps am I missing a new shortcut key that I need to press in order to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update on this. So I did an "Edit in Photoshop" in one of the RAW photo in my catalog. Surprisingly, in the PSD from that, I was able to reposition the reference area as usual, but it still won't work on my RAW photo when I returned to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another update:
It looks like the repositioning of the reference area of the heal/clone stamp doesn't work when my files are still in CR3 format, but it somehow works when they're in some other format, like PSD or DNG. I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The welcome removal tool is incredible. I think that the selection of objects or subjects is still not as refined as in PS, that is, it should be more precise at the edges. And just like in PS, passing the pointer over the object will automatically highlight the selection. It would also be important if we could add additional selections. Another important aspect would be a background fill tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

en algunos casos en vez de hacer que desparezca el objeto, detecta qué objeto es y en vez de quitarlo pone otro distinto y no hay manera de que lo haga desaparecer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to esnure that the entire area/object to be removed, which includes shadows and projections is masked.  See attached screenshot.

chimney.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Retrait d'un lampadaire sur fond de ciel et à proximité de la tête d'une personne.

La sélection est en deux parties, réalisée en utilisant la fonctionnalité "ajouter".

Seule la première partie est traitée. Aucun résultat sur la deuxième (quelque soit l'une des trois propositions)

Le lampadaire disparaît (seulement sur l'une des trois itérations) mais l'IA maintient sa forme en prenant la tonalité la plus claire du ciel.

La partie sur la tête de la personne n'est pas respectée. Voici le résultat.

Capture d’écran 2024-05-23 à 09.01.33.png

Les deux autres propositions maintiennent le lampadaire à sa place en modifiant sa forme, un exemple ci-dessous.

Capture d’écran 2024-05-23 à 09.04.06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is fun https://youtu.be/ZaTdVtSQJK4?si=h2YzUZwKm3OasyD-&t=637

2024-05-23_10-31.png

http://zavadskis.photo
Lightroom 13.3 AI features new Remove Tools Generative AI and Object Aware tools. Generative Remove is an Early Access tool, meaning it's still a work in progress, so Adobe wants your feedback. On Desktop, there's a Provide Feedback button in the Remove panel, and on Mobile, tap the circular I ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My other concern re its development so far is it softens the selected area a little too much. This can work sometimes if the area is within a less focused area of the frame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good start, but we can see the edges of the modification like a sort of shadow. Photoshop remains more efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. ty vm 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us give brief  and prompt on the remove, because i tried to remove a wire from a wedding shot, and instead of removing them, it changed the look of it. And before AI it was grey, after the process it became red. 😄 (all 3 variations, tried multiple times). So it just made it worse. But happy that LRC got this feature. Keep up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be really nice if Gen AI could include a text box to guide it and a reference image for further guidance.

ALSO: Please can you develop a system for Gen AI to replace backgrounds but not with a generated background... with a provided image. The advantage with portraits/objects would be 'edge detail'.  Even in photoshop I have real issues with this still and I'd love to see big improvements here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the feature generally quite useful. However, in Lightroom, I usually prefer to remove elements rather than replace them. Although it often works well, there are also instances where unwanted elements are added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When elements are added, it's an indication that the area/element that you intended to remove has not been sufficiently selected/masked. This would include any shadows or projections. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be amazing if we could keep editing other photos while AI is "working" in the background. This goes for PS as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generative Remove ist eine Funktion in Lightroom, auf die ich schon lange gewartet habe. Es wundert mich nur ein wenig, dass die Entfernen-Funktion manchmal Personen, die ich auf einem Bild entfernen wollte, durch andere ersetzt . Ich hatte erwartet, dass die Personen durch den Hintergrund ersetzt werden. Das funktioniert manchmal aber nicht.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I wrote in an eralier reply. When elements are added, it's an indication that the area/element that you intended to remove has not been sufficiently selected/masked. This would include any shadows or projections. Using your example image, which included the red circle to help identifiy the subjects you wanted removed, I produced attached result.

people removal.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx for your support. I always use the selection quite sparingly because a.) I want to keep as much of the original as possible and b.) I assume that the calculation time is less if the field to be replaced is smaller. But it seems to work better if you are a bit more generous with the selection 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unable to use the GR to get rid of power lines. Did I miss something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LR is faster and smarter than in PS. I don,t know why, but works to way better. Which is odd, because LR runs it's tools slower  (kind of heavier). Maybe because this tool is only for remove and not to generate anything. Anyway, congrats for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines