• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1148 Replies 1148
Enthusiast ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this tool!  I find it amazing that it has been implemented non-destructively, as I can envisage many issues to do this.

My understanding is there is a 2K resolution limit, and when you exceed this in a remove selection, the result looks a bit smushed.  This is unacceptable to me, and I would like to see a work-around.  At the least, a warning that this will happen.  Perhaps you could auto-tile the selection, and iterate through the tiles, building the final replacement pixels.  I expect this would take longer, but "slow and good" is better than "faster but smushy".

I would like to be able to have a "do not use" brush that can be used to identify elements not to be incorporated in the replacement.  For example, if the top 70% of a grass stalk is selected, and the user wants to retain the lower 30%, they need a way to tell LR not to extend the "cut-off" stalk.

I think this tool has to respect the history of prior adjustments, and the user should be able to continue to make further adjustment masks and generative deletions without paying attention to warning lights and rebuilding masks - I hope this can be automated.

Again, koodos to the engineers - this is an awesome beta!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No estoy teniendo una buena experiencia con él, parece que quiere crear objetoz en lugar de priorizar desaparecerlosoriginal.PNGprimer borrado.PNGSegundo borrado.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-05-28 232618.png

It doesn't matter what I do - I still have the same problem - it just doesn't work - in photoshop it works without a problem - in lightroom it doesn't - has anyone solved it yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use your resources to fix all the bugs in the exiting application before creating new ones?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bella idea ...applicazione piu stabile 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, a very 'buggy' update. worked on a folder of photos, went to save them and my mornings work had disappeared in an instant! cant find the changes that I'd made. Usually, the work is still there. I hadnt moved away from the folder or anything

Also the new AI is certainly still a 'work in progress'. does not work well in corners or on edges, and yet at other times is brilliant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with having no text input is that the system doesn't know what you are doing.  I was trying to remove a telephone pole and it just kept replacing it with another pole.  There was no way to get it to learn because there is no input for text or even a checkbox for remove.  So it is too simple a tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very nice that the work on processing images is done in Lightroom without the need for Photoshop for simple things such as deleting and cleaning images, but I think it needs improvement in the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In some cases the AI Tool worked quite good. (MacBook Pro M3 Pro)

But in difficult constellations it won't mange a useful output, even after several attempts.

Huge Disappointment came when I tried to use the old versions of those Tools - there is no more chance, grabing the refering circle an drag it to an area that is more usefull.

Right now its more like a gable, if the System might be getting it right after a dozent klicks on Update.

This is not usefull at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My catalogus is not working right at this moment, all the changes I make in my pictures are gone the next time I open my catalogus. What can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the Lightroom Classic subscription to use the generative fill and the first photo I tried to run it on gives me the following error. Obviously, my internet is working fine. 

Screenshot 2024-05-29 003446.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes firewalls block specific network requests from LR.  Some troubleshooting steps:

- Try temporarily disabling all the firewall / anti-malware on your computer.

- Try connecting to another network, preferably one serviced by a different ISP. E.g. a Wifi connection of a neighbor, a coffee shop, work, or your phone's hotspot.

Customers of my LR plugins infrequently run into such blocking, especially in countries like China where the national governments enforce more authoritarian Internet policies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked when I turned off all firewalls but then stopped again when I turned the firewall back on again. I don't think it's safe to just keep my firewalls down all the time. Is there a way I can specifically tell windows to let LRC allow internet access? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@switchblade, "It worked when I turned off all firewalls but then stopped again when I turned the firewall back on again. I don't think it's safe to just keep my firewalls down all the time. Is there a way I can specifically tell windows to let LRC allow internet access?"

If you're using Windows Defender (and not third-party protection) see this article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/risks-of-allowing-apps-through-windows-defender-firewall...

Third-party anti-malware packages typically have equivalent functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was really bugging me as I kept getting the "Generative Remove Failed. Please check your internet connection and try again." error on my MacBook but the PC was absolutely fine.  Internet connection was fine and both machines on the same provider.

The firewall on my MacBook was already turned off, but after turning it on and adding Lightroom Classic to allow incoming connections it then worked ok.  Please see the screen shot below to see what I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jonunwin, thanks, that could help others. What's strange is that the Mac OS firewall is disabled by default and most people aren't experiencing that error. I tried enabling my Mac OS firewall just now and disabled all incoming connections, and Generative AI Remove continued to work normally. Clearly there's something weird going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has healing syncing/copy & paste been removed? I just noticed there is no option for it anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MattCAG 

It hasn't been removed it's been renamed 'Remove' to aign with the new name given to heal/clone, etc. See attached screenshot.

remove sync option.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I totally over looked that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

La suppression de personnages gênants n'a pas fonctionné chaque fois et LR a créé de nouvelles personnes en remplacement... Bizarre. Mais lorsque ça a fonctionné, c'est absolument magique !

Bravo !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, it did not remove, it replaced. I wanted to get rid of half a flower left in the frame after I cropped. I did 3 generations and it replaced it with another flower every time. I wanted it gone and replaced with surrounding stems. I ended up going to Photoshop, using the Remove tool there which worked perfectly, and then back to Lightroom to continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today was my first day to try AI.  Unfortunately, it isn't trying to REMOVE the object that I want removed ( a card in a man's shirt pocket).   It is just changing the object to look different. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

generative AI remove... you can replace faces....!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you handling the transfer to the highres source image if I use GenAI on a smartpreview on a mobile device?

• Will LRC re-render it with the same seed in a higher resolution?
  • Do I have to manually tell it to re-render it?
  • Will a  Gen-AI fill on a Smartpreview result in a lower res fill compared to if I do it on the full file?
  • Will it cost twice when I have to re-render it for the desktop resolution?

To the moderators: Yes it's a repost, the frist one was moved to a general thread where it did not get answered and I don't have any intention following everything in that general thread to see if it is eventually answered. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Wurstkrapfen 

When using pixel-based retouching via a Smart Preview, the healed area is not recomputed upon applying those edits from the Proxy to the Original.  You would need to refresh the spots on the full-size originals manually. 

The impact on your full-res image quality is greater on larger healed areas than on smaller areas. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines