• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1126 Replies 1126
New Here ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far not too many issues, I am persoanlly not noticing a time lag as comapred with PS genrative fill. I would likely be using this feauture primarily for removing rather than replacing though it would perhaps be beneficial to have a subtract or add feauture as in photoshop which directs the attention of the AI more precidely. I can see an advanced feature allowing for specific replacement of objects through text prompts to be very useful here. Some glitches I've come into thus far, replacing lines (wires/telephone lines, not replacing all the wires, leaving bits of wire in the frame) replacing uniterrupted patterns (ie. fence post/barrier, replacing most of the fence post but then adding what it thinks a fence post might have like a construction sign or industrial looking object) and occassionally removing people (replacing person with an AI genrated person rather than removing the person altogether) For many of these glitches I was able to simply go over the area with the spot tool to refine the desired replacement with fairly good success but other images it feels more difficult to get the replacement to work correctly. Including images below as example where the AI genrative fill wants to replace rather than remove object and this particular example doesn't feel easy to resolve. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the original was cropped, then the resulting image will contain odd items. Therefore, Generative Remove must be carried out before cropping. The same applies to denosie and local AI edits.

Assuming that it's not cropped, and looking at your results, I suspect that you've been a tad precise with your selection/mask. Attached is what I achieved with a fairly rough selection/mask.

bike.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also appears to apply to images with profile corrections that have pushed image content off the viewport.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This latest update seems to have critically injured the original, non-generative Heal and Clone tools.  They are at least 4x slower to respond, and worse, they cannot be finely adjusted once used.  Any relocating of the sample/target areas can only be made in large distances (I'm estimating 15px or more).  Trying to align these areas along any kind of edge in an image is now impossible!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing this. Are you Mac or Windows? How are you moving them (e.g. mouse, pen, keyboard)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows and trying to drag sample/target areas of the heal and clone tools with a trackball mouse zoomed in 100x-300x.  Prior to this update, things could be relocated to the pixel level, but now (no matter how long I click and hold) they only move in jumps of ~15px.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard some mention of resolution issues in early betas of PS. Perhaps
the same issue is manifesting here. I'm trying to remove something small
and the program freezes.

--
Rick
sent from Google mail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I used it its made its job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my goodness, I am LOVING AI in LR. It is saving me time from going between LRC and PS. THANK YOU ADOBE!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GGenetative remove on lightroom classic puts something else where I want to remove

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overall it's a great Job. An improvement area I can see is related to the noise / texture of the replaced area that does not match to the neigboring and let guess the replaced area especially in concert photography where lighting is not the best. I can provide samples if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

super. bravo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Just started using it, still exploring, it helps, but a bit slow and not as "spot healing from  Photoshop " , But we testing 🙂 and its new feature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A expansão Generativa já esta bem aceita no PS, trabalho muito com fundo infinito e muitas das vezes preciso aumentar o tamanho do mesmo, falta a função para aumentar o tamanho da fotografia no LR!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Il faudrait ajouter une option nous permettant de vous envoyer des rapports avant/après pour vous signalez quand ça ne fonctionne pas du tout par exemple ici
Original

:230524-2213-2048px.jpg

230524-2212-2048px.jpg

Ce n'est pas exploitable aujourd'hui.

Firefly in LrC

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally, in my LRC, Generative Remove has been very good with solid objects.  But the attached instance of removing a wire against an art nouveau building had much difficulty with the building decoration.  It did not seem to be able to handle a reflection of the shape of the window arch detail or similar.  I included before and after screen shots for comparison.   I imagine is this not trivial but there should be a generalizable rule that could be observed to at least get the shapes to be correct if not the detail.  Also, at 200%, it is very obvious that the replaced content is soft and melty vs. the hard edges that appear all around it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Un bel outil que je viens de tester et vraiment réactif. Il me tarde déjà de pouvoir l'utiliser et gagner du temps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good first step but needs improved feathering/transition between the filled area and the rest of the image, and better at matching noise. See attached imagesScreenshot 2024-05-23 at 19.16.05.pngScreenshot 2024-05-23 at 19.16.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced  same behavior in concert photography, and also reported it 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be very useful to be able to mark another area of the photo to indicate the type of object to be generated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i use the new feature, it dosen´t work. The progess bar comes to the end, but nothing happen or the progess bar stuck at 3/4 of the way.

The object will not be removed. As in the picture, you can wait for minutes, but nothing will happen.

I use windows, maybe its a thing on windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that´s the same problem I also have. I hope it can be fixed. It works on Photoship though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried the Generative remove on a couple of images with vastley differing results. One was a cow in a foggy field and the result was excellent. The cow was replaced by a perfect looking fill of grass, fog and sky. In the second I tried to remove my black cat from the grey floor. First variation replaced most of the space with a light cat, second with a black dog and the third was a grey roll of felt I think. Not sure why a remove function seems to replace on occasions, especially with just a different animal. Promising though based on my first image results. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention, this was using Lightroom Classic 13.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poderia ser possível fazer ajustes na IA gerada, como por exemplo adicionar ruído.

Algumas fotos com ISO alto a parte gerada com IA fica muito "cremosa", deixando a foto irreal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines