• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace

The recommended order for applying edits is:

1. Denoise 
  2. Heal (includes Generative AI Remove)
  3. Crop (includes traditional Cropping, Lens Correction, Transform, or any operation changing the geometry of the image)
  4. Edit
  5. AI Selective edits

If you deviate from that, you may see the removed object remain as a ghost image. If this occurs, you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1345 Replies 1345
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As many are finding, this 'remove' tool seems more like a 'replace' tool. I have used it a number of times now and every single time the object I want to remove just gets replaced with a similar object: a person with another person, and stray arm with another arm, a traffic cone with another traffic cone. Not what I expected and required. The odd thing is that a number of YouTube reviews I have seen are not experiencing this at all. I can't see any options to alter this from replace to remove. Early days I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've copied below from the post providing guidance, which can be found at the top of this thread. Hopefully, it helps you  better understand how best to use Generartive AI.

Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the LRC feedback facility does not work for me??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maverickj26730078_0-1717066509307.png

Can't work 2024/5/30

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generative Remove in Lightroom is far inferior to GR in Photoshop. Also, in both programs, trying to remove cars on the street or driveway from real estate drone photos yields very poor results. It usually replces the vehicle with another fake vehicle instead of removing it (the "Remove" prompt does nothing). I talking 1 lone car an an otherwise empty street.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the car has a shadow, relections or projections not selected/masked, then replace will be the result.

I've copied below from the post providing guidance, which can be found at the top of this thread. Hopefully, it helps you  better understand how best to use Generartive AI.

• Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola! funciona pero dejó de funcionar correctamente el quitador de manchas a partir de esta nueva versión. No me deja selección origen.  Me interpone las manchas (aún eligiendo superposición automática o cualquiera)

Captura de pantalla 2024-05-30 a la(s) 08.40.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I belive the issue you're having with the original 'Heal / Clone' tool may be related to the bug discussed at the following link.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-remove-tool-clone-and-heal-is-missing-source...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really great to see that this tool can work on HDR-enabled images. Photoshop doesn't seem to handle content-aware fill or generative AI with 32-bit images.

Three things I'd love to see Adobe look into, and/or get help with, based on my experience thus far. They're all related to the same general issues around background matching + edge handling, and my biggest experience is when dealing with blurrier objects. Often, on flat backgrounds (smudge/reflection against sky).

1) The tool seems to almost always leave a noticeable line or hard transition between the gen AI area and the surroundings. This is the worst (and visible even zoomed pretty far out) against sky or any flat background, but it's often there even on a more complex background as well. I tend to see this whether the goal is more of an object replacement or a removal.

2) Flat backgrounds often don't get very well matched in terms of pattern, color, and/or texture to their surroundings. This is even the case when the background for the object within the gen AI area is the same as the background outside of the area. Again, e.g. sky or similar. This exacerbates and is related to the edge handling/line issue in #1. 

3) Like others have noted, I often get "replace" rather than "remove" even if an entire object + shadow seem to me to be selected. This is particularly a problem when the "object" isn't recognizable as an object, persay. For example, a reflection in a window or a blurry finger at the edge of a photograph. The Gen AI result is often something "new" that's a little smeary rather than actual removal. I can cycle through/refresh to eventually find one that's more true "removal," but I have to get lucky to find something that also minimizes #1 and #2 as much as possible.

Per recommendations, I do use the "standard" removal tools (content-aware remove/heal) as much as I can. And sometimes I'll use them to touch up what Gen AI has produced. However, they struggle with larger areas and more complex objects. It's exciting that Gen AI does better, but it'd be great to be able to handle the above scenarios better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Generative KI takes Lightroom Classic up to a absolute new level! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say that this LR-tool is really "at an very early stage" and there is a lomg way to go until it will work. I tried so many times just to delete items – a person, traffic signs, Sheets of paper on walls, bins etc  –  on plain or structured backgtounds and in 80 percent I failed. Suprisingly the results in PS are much better than in LR – for ever reason. So I‘ll do the most of the retouch furthermore in PS.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far this does not work on my system. When I select the AI generate buttton, it locks up all the tools and I have to restart lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buongiorno! Spesso non rimuove gli oggetti. Li sostituisce con altri! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed version 13.3 but int the panel I can't see the new functionality in the remove panel.

Screenshot 2024-05-30 alle 22.01.38.png

any suggesstion ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, selected the wrong option, it works fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try choosing much more than the object so the AI has a better chance to work. It's still a work in progress, and you can always go to Photoshop and do it there as for now, it works much better there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choose an area much bigger than the subject and see if this improves your
results.

--
Sent from Gmail in PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does a much better job of Generative AI. LC did not completely remove an object that was surrounded by water. Insterted green shrubs that were not even in the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has rendered the old remove tool useless. I can't remove anything even when I don't have generative AI checked. When checked, It wants to subsitute something-another person's face, something completely irrelevant. Worse than the old plain old clone tool. Really not only not useful, counterproductive. Not ready for prime time as a tool. Truly a disappointment. I think that Adobe should have tested this more before releasing it. It certainly doesn't do what the example showed in the new features of LR. Maybe I'm not getting the best way to use this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First attempt would qualify as a clear fail.   Only removed the buds from a branch, but left the branch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantasticos resultados para ser una primera implementación, cada vez está mucho más completa la herramienta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to remove the wires in and outlines of the netting but the generative AI doesn't seem to recognize it when I outline it.  

RonFunderburk_0-1717127385437.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very bad. It's supposed to be a generative REMOVE tool and on rare occasions it does that, but most of the time it tries to replace it with something else. Photoshop seems to work well. Why not in Lightroom Classic? Also by coming out with this too soon, you've wasted a lot of people's time trying to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great start and very useful. Just one comment... I used the remove tool, which worked very well but when I used the DeNoise tool on the same image it resampled and changed the area I had worked on with the remove tool.

On another note, can we have the option to edit the DeNoise tag on the file and not have DeNoise put in the keywords please

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, since it relies on the actual pixel data, enhance is going to require recalculation/regeneration.

Off topic/to your other note: I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the denoise tag on the file., but you can turn off the keywording under Preferences > File Handling.

The denoise information is actually added to the metadata of the file... LrC doesn't seem to allow you to surface that in the main metadata viewer, unfortunately. It's only in the history step and via the filename it generates, as far as I can tell, and I can't get a smart collection to work on it.

However, I know that the Metadata Viewer plugin that is powered by exiftool can surface the info for you, and there may be other exiftool-powered viewers that are a little more helpful in the interface. The AnyFilter plugin will let you search/filter based on DeNoise/Enhance/any of that hidden metadata, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines