• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Unable to access catalog (Catalog stored in Applications Folder)

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The Lightroom catalog cannot be used because the parent folder “/Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic” does not allow files to be created within it.

Please either fix the folder permissions before continuing or choose a different catalog."

• I've tried updating "full disk access", restarted etc and nothing helped...
  • Tried changing catalog location
  • Can open lightroom by creating new catlog but hit with the same problem when I try open old catalog from there
  • Went back to an old version of Lightroom, didn't change.

Any help or advice or things to try would be greatly appreciated... Screenshots below

Screenshot-2023-02-16-at-14.40.14.jpgScreenshot-2023-02-16-at-15.15.29.jpgScreenshot-2023-02-16-at-14.40.04.jpgScreenshot-2023-02-16-at-14.39.49.jpg

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Did you  move your catalog (.lrcat files) to your applications folder? If yes all of the associated catalog files must be in the same location in order to open your catalog. Move your .lrcat files back into the Lightroom folder in  your pictures folder and try opening the catalog again. By default Lightroom is installed in the Pictures folder. It's okay to move it if you really want to but you must move the .lrcat-data, .lr-previews file and other catalog associated files with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

You can't store your catalog files in the Applications folder. Use your Pictures folder or someplace on a local external hard drive. My catalog is on a USB hard drive and performance is fine under Ventura.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you  move your catalog (.lrcat files) to your applications folder? If yes all of the associated catalog files must be in the same location in order to open your catalog. Move your .lrcat files back into the Lightroom folder in  your pictures folder and try opening the catalog again. By default Lightroom is installed in the Pictures folder. It's okay to move it if you really want to but you must move the .lrcat-data, .lr-previews file and other catalog associated files with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't store your catalog files in the Applications folder. Use your Pictures folder or someplace on a local external hard drive. My catalog is on a USB hard drive and performance is fine under Ventura.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now get the message "The lightroom catalog cannot be used because the parent folder "/Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic" does not allow files to be created within it".  I have given Adobe Lightroom Classic "full disk access" in settings.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the last post in this thread https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-not-able-to-access-catalog-si...  

Does this match with what you're doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's it.  When I moved the catalog to another folder and pointed to it, it now works fine.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was your catalog in the Applications folder? If yes, why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they were in the Applications folder.  I don't know why they were there.  I just recently installed LRC on a new Mac.  I moved the catalog from a windows PC.  I didn't think I put the catalog in the Applications folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again as mentioned earlier - all of your Lightroom Classic files need to be in the same folder... move them into the Pictures/Lightroom Directory. You should also see a Lightroom Settings subfolder. If you post a screen shot of your pictures directory we can confirm that you have the files you need. You can confirm this as well because once you have the files back together where they belong you will be able to open your catalog. The permissions in this instance are not the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved all of the Lightroom Catalog related files to the Pictures/Lightroom directory and everything appears to be working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great and thank you for updating your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines