Exit

Problem with Exporting -- Files Renamed

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic, release 12.0.1 / Windows 10

Issue: Problem with Exporting

I am trying to export 237 Nikon .NEF images as .jpg's with the "File Naming" as "Custom Name - Original File Number"

The custom name is "2022 Cruise". The example shown in the export dialog is (for example): 2022 Cruise-0092.jpg. (This is correct)

But when I perform the export, the images are shown in a sequential numbering order -- without the Original File Number anywhere.

The weird thing is when I watch the exported images filling the folder one by one, they first appear correctly with the original file number. But after about 60 images, all the image files are instantly renamed with sequential numbering!  For example, 2022 Cruise-0092.jpg" will become "2022 Cruise-0001.jpg". Note: ALL the images are renamed this way -- and they are not in the actual export order.

I've tried saving to different HD's, different folders. I've used the right click to export and the File-export. Problem remains.

One clue. If I export less than 60, the file names are okay. But adding more to that folder causes ALL the image files to be re-named to sequential numbers.

I can reproduce this problem. I've done it many times.

Lightroom Classic version: 12.0.1 [ 202210260744-9e008017 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.19044
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 24
Processor speed: 3.6GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
CPU Utilisation: 0.0%
Built-in memory: 65479.9 MB
Dedicated GPU memory used by Lightroom: 4035.5MB / 10078.0MB (40%)
Real memory available to Lightroom: 65479.9 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 7622.3 MB (11.6%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 12934.8 MB

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

I don't think there's any unwanted renaming -- I think you're getting confused by the original file numbering.

You're exporting 237 photos, all taken in sequence.  The original photos have camera sequence numbers starting at 9860 through 9999. At that point, the camera reset the numbering to 0001, and the sequence proceeds through 00097.  

The File Explorer window is showing files s

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried the same export with 400 raws on Mac and Windows LR 12.0.1 and didn't see that weird behavior. Initial troubleshooting:

1.  In the bottom-right corner of the Export window, does it say Export or Batch Export. If it says Batch Export, then you've got multiple presets selected in the left column.  Uncheck them all until it says just Export.

2. If that doesn't help: Very rarely, LR has been known to corrupt export settings.  Make a new export preset with your settings, and export with that new preset.  Does the problem go away?

3. If that doesn't help: In the Export window, right-click on that preset in the left column and do Show In Explorer.  That will open File Explorer with the preset's .lrtemplate file selected. Make a copy of that file, rename it to have the ".txt" extension, and attach that file to your reply here.  That will let us see the precise export settings and test them in other configurations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, you have found the problem -- but there is something wrong. I had not been using a saved export preset. I was just using/changing the default export values, but . . .  When I saved my settings as a preset and selected it, I got a warning that there were now "Multiple Presets."  But there is only one preset checked. (See image attached).

I saved the preset as a .txt, as you directed. I can see that there is a line that appears to be causing the problem: 

tokensArchivedToString2 = "{{custom_token}}-{{naming_sequenceNumber_1Digit}}",

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When I saved my settings as a preset and selected it, I got a warning that there were now "Multiple Presets."  But there is only one preset checked. (See image attached)."

That's the expected behavior -- you're just getting confused by a badly designed user interface for exporting with multiple presets.  You indeed have just one preset selected.

But to use a single Export preset, don't check it -- just click on the preset's name so it's highlighted:

johnrellis_0-1668054270008.png

Then you won't encountered the confusing warning message from the badly designed multiple-preset export.

So I think this isn't the cause of your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I can see that there is a line that appears to be causing the problem: 

tokensArchivedToString2 = "{{custom_token}}-{{naming_sequenceNumber_1Digit}}","

I'm not sure what the line does, but I don't think it's causing the problem. I was able to export 400 raws with your preset without any problems.

I also deleted that line, restarted LR (so it reread the preset), and that also worked fine.

So I don't think this is the cause of your issue either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a hail-mary troubleshooting step that often solves weird behavior. Try resetting LR's preferences:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did reset the preferences. The problem was not fixed. I recorded a video to show what happens with the exported files. Very strange. They start out ok but then the entire output gets renamed!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FXGDCZThk1hmR7te7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you watch the video, ignore what I said about the first 6 image files (with the long numbers). They are actually the only .jpg's in this LR collection. The rest of the images are .NEF's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

I don't think there's any unwanted renaming -- I think you're getting confused by the original file numbering.

You're exporting 237 photos, all taken in sequence.  The original photos have camera sequence numbers starting at 9860 through 9999. At that point, the camera reset the numbering to 0001, and the sequence proceeds through 00097.  

The File Explorer window is showing files sorted by the Name column, and it's displays about 77 files.

LR tends to export photos in roughly the same order as in your selection.   As the export starts, you see 9860, 9861, 9862, etc. appear.  Once 9937 appears at the bottom of the window, the window doesn't change for a while -- the photos 9938 - 9999 are getting exported, but they don't show in the window, since it only displays 77 files.

Then about a minute after 9937 appears at the bottom of the window, 0008 gets exported, and it appears at the top of the list, since the File Explorer window is sorting by Name.  (LR is exporting these raws at about 1 per second). Then soon after, you see all the photos 0001, 0002, etc. appear at the top as they are exported.   

Note that the first file, 9860, never gets "renamed" -- it (and all the files with larger numbers) just gets pushed down further and further in the File Explorer window as the the photos starting with 00 get exported and appear in the list.

I've simplified a little -- the numbers don't increase exactly by 1, since you've eliminated many of them. But the same explanation holds.  You can see this in these screenshots from 0:55, 1:36, 1:43, and 1:50 -- the files starting with 9860, 9865, 9868, etc. are getting renamed, they're just getting pushed down in the sorted list:

johnrellis_0-1668143262764.pngjohnrellis_1-1668143280521.pngjohnrellis_2-1668143297054.pngjohnrellis_3-1668143307347.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are briliant. What you described is absolutely correct. I am very impressed with your analytical ability. I am also grateful for the work and thought you put into this issue. So, LR was right and I was wrong.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines