• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tethering Nikon under Ventura - quick dirty fix

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since I updated my Mac to Ventura, tethering my Nikon-Z-cameras doesn't work any more.

Since there are three companies involved fixing this problem (Apple, Adobe and Nikon) it might take a while, until it finally is. Here is my work-around that works without buying new software:

Install Tether-NX from Nikon for free and tether into a folder, that you automatically import with Lightroom.

I know, this is not the elegant solution, we are looking for, but it may be the easiest fix until there are new Updates.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

With Lightroom Classic Version 12.2 tethering Nikon Camera seems to work again. On my system the Z6, Z7 an Z6II were recognized. Lightroom crashed after unplugging the cameras. It's not easy to not leave a sarcastic comment on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for posting this work around – while not ideal – it is reasonable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly I can't get the NX software to do anything other than vaguely recognise my D850 and D810, it knows what the camera is but can't actually control the camera   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently Nikon is holding out for you to utilize their tether application, 

Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 Software Full Version for Nikon DSLR Cameras.

Just my thoughts.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest Nikon aren't pushing the boat out, this is their reply from my support enquiry.

"Sadly, we cannot advise on any solution or troubleshooting, with Lightroom, as they are a 3rd part software, therefore it is their responsibility to ensure compatibility with our products and the subsequent products, they provide compatibility for."

I'd consider CC Pro2 if I could see it was tested and works with Ventura, frankly Nikon's web-sales presence for this product is both vague and outdated with no real mention of what OS it will actually work on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CC Pro 2 does actually work! Lightroom can watch a folder too so there is a half-baked solution, unfortunately the process is a bit cranky and nowhere near as usefull as Lightroom tethering was.

I guess my takeaway is that the D850 will tether in Ventura, it's a shame it won't into Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatively one could use the Wireless Utility to transfer pictures via wifi to a  computer and automatically import them in Lightroom. However LR has trouble copiing them correctly and gives me an error, that it can't do adjustments to the copied RAW-Files - for whatever that's about...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This wireless solution actually does NOT work properly, because LR starts importing (and copiing) the Files before they are fully transfered, which causes corrupted Files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

iam really shocked that there is no update since October 22 for this. 

iam working with my old macbook now, but always need to rebuilt my workstation before every shooting.

i think thats a very disgraced performance for Adobe, but yes still sucking my money every month for this. Shame on you! 

Would be interesting how many customers Adobe lost in this time, many switched to Capture One. 

thanks 

mArcel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcel,
not helpful but money-saving: send a complaint to Adobe (via chat) and tell them that you don't see why you should pay for a not-working software. They accepted my request when I asked them. So I am not paying at the moment (and don't want to until this problem is fixed).
Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got offered two weeks! That equates to about the time that I lose every time I do a shoot at the moment and am unable to tether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi (Again),

Sadly Tether-NX doesnt work with my Nikons (D850 and D810) but Camera Control Pro2 does. I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation why Nikon's often cranky software will tether with Ventura (Capture One does too) but Adobe's won't, but hey?

However Lightroom will auto-import from a watched folder (File>Auto Import...). So the watched folder created for the Nikon import can then be located by Lightroom (File>Auto Import>Auto Import Settings...) As such the Nikon software, I assume similar will work with Tether-NX, will download to a created folder that Lightroom will monitor and then import from automatically.

Now, the beauty of Lightroom, when it was working for us, was that the develop settings could be set to 'same as previous,' This was a huge boon for someone like me shooting a portrait session where I could apply a ballpark preview for the client to see; the recent AI upgrades were particularly useful. As such, each image appearing on screen was close to how it might end up.

For now a shoot specific set of develop settings can be saved in the Presets at the start of a shoot and applied automatically via the Auto Import Settings. It's hardly an eloquent solution but it may help some people out.

For me I would have to buy the Nikon Software that I don't really need but, having become reliant on Lightroom tethering through the years the ongoing lack of it is leading me to start every commission with a sense of loss. 

Small gains.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested this today with my 850 and z7II certain that I could overcome the challenge on my M1 laptop and Ventura 13.1. The result is that I will test again tomorrow with Ventura 13.2. Sigh.

cmgap_1-1674872690373.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds interesting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Joy. The watch folder is the best workaround. Nikon's NX tether wouldn't recognize connect my D850 at all - it did work with the Z7II. Any other testing will replicate what has already been done. Hopefull this thread will be updated when tethering works again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Lightroom Classic Version 12.2 tethering Nikon Camera seems to work again. On my system the Z6, Z7 an Z6II were recognized. Lightroom crashed after unplugging the cameras. It's not easy to not leave a sarcastic comment on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked a few days...now i dont know why, no more dedection of the d850.

usb conection test with 3 different cables. all fine. 

osx 13.2.1

Lightroom classic 12.2

iam getting depressed with that, i lost so many hours now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm also running OSX 13.2.1. Now, there is a LR-Update to 12.2.1- Maybe that helps. My Z7 is still recognized, and tethering doesn't "even" require a restart in rosetta-mode anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines