• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

upgrade CG for increasing CPU for a smooth lightroom?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Here is my configuration under windows: 

Intel motherboard with H87 chipset
Intel Core i7 4770 quad core processor
16 GB RAM
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD SATA3 / system
Gigabyte GeForce GTX750 2GB GDDR5
2*4 TB HDD
1*1 SSD avec catalogue LR

My workflow is fine, but sometimes Lightroom is a but slow and it´s not smooth anymore to really enjoy it.

My Gigabyte GeForce GTX750 2GB GDDR5 is rather old, my computer is from 2015. Would it be worth to upgrage the CG to increase a bit the capacity of the computer? 

It seems that the CPU is sometimes around 100% when I used Lightroom, so the CPU might me the bottleneck with my current configuration.

Your advice is more than welcome 🙂

Thanks !

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before we can answer what upgrades might help, we need to know exactly and in detail, what operations in Lightroom Classic are slow. Different types of slowness have different fixes. (And please confirm that you are using Lightroom Classic, you didn't say that you were using Lightroom Classic).

Also, what is CG in your title?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For example for the brushing: it can take few seconds before the new area
brushed appeared as brushed. This can be quite tricky. Also when I applied
basic changes (shadows, whites, etc.) to an elent selected in the picture
with a tool (mask, brush, etc.)

Florent
--
Florent
www.florent-nicolas.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I meant GC for Graphic Card, not CG 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't provide the information I asked for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some remarks in addition to dj's questions:

The i7-4770 is rather old - think of it as slow. The GTX750 with 2GB RAM is also not too beefy.

Depending on the resolution your display uses, it may help to replace the GPU. However, IMHO, you should think about a replacement of the CPU (or the entire system) as well. 

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some remarks in addition to dj's questions:

The i7-4770 is rather old - think of it as slow. The GTX750 with 2GB RAM is also not too beefy.

Depending on the resolution your display uses, it may help to replace the GPU. However, IMHO, you should think about a replacement of the CPU (or the entire system) as well. 

By @F. McLion

Well, @F. McLion you might be right, if only @florentn94074267 would provide information about what parts of LrC are slow. Without that information, it could also be that replacing the GPU or CPU might not help at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I did above: "For example for the brushing: it can take few seconds before the new area
brushed appeared as brushed. This can be quite tricky. Also when I applied
basic changes (shadows, whites, etc.) to an elent selected in the picture
with a tool (mask, brush, etc.)"

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. So CPU = processor, right ?

If I see with the task manager that the CPU is the issue (around 100% when LR destktop is lagging), does it mean that the issue is from the processor only or could it be related to something else?

I could also update the motherboard if it´s time for a good upgrade... and then the RAM. So most of the PC 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size is your monitor? Please answer in pixels (widht and height, not inches). If your monitor is less than 4K, then please turn of the GPU in LrC (Preferences->Performance->Use graphic process should be OFF). If the lag continues, its most likely the CPU. If your monitor is 4K or larger, its either that the GPU is not turned on in LrC or that the GPU is not powerful enough.

Upgrading the motherboard and RAM will not affect his issue, but feel free to do so if you feel other this affects other issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thank you. I did some testing, it seems that the CPU is very limited as well as the RAM. So I will upgrade most of the main components: motherboard, RAM, processor, cooler. 

I had lot of advice informing me that the set up I have is rather old, and that the  new versions of Adobe products are best to be used on up-to-date harware. So the upgrade is definitely needed.

Thank you for the help, much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines