• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Give some Control over stacking

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stacking is such a helpful and useful feature. For example, when I create a panorama or an HDR bracket, I can stack the photos together, select the stacks, and then let LR figure out the bracketing. SUPER USEFUL for basic bracket shots or panos.

However, I have to unstack or expand the photos to do things with the stcked photos. Some examples: 

I have to expand the stacks to mark the used brackets as rejected. 

There is no "relativity of stack status" between collections. In other words since stacks are collection specific, I can't grab an entire stack and move it between collections, or add the entire stack to a collection unless I expand the stack. Even if I do, its not stacked when it arrives. 

SUGGESTIONS:

1. make a command key to allow stack manipulaton - basically a "select all in stack" option key for the selection process. 
  2.  make a "reject all but top of stack" command somewhere. A variant on this could be a "flag top of stack and reject the rest" command.
  3. Make a "stack GIF maker" where a stack could be considered frames of a short animation, and allow exporting that way. As a bonus, have an option to import movies this way.
  4. Brainstorm other ways to use Stacks. Conceptually, stacks are great - The photographer is only dealing with the top of the stack and thus ignoring all the underlying photos. Why and when is this a good idea? Is there a way to more automatically deal with the stack contents in different ways? 

Personally I am manually trashing about 5k photos a year by finding old stacks in collections, unstacking them, highlighting unflagged photos since the stacks don't inherit flags down the stack, then doing THE PURGE.  This is clearly wasting my time in library maintenance.  Can you help lessen this?

Thanks

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
4 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on all the posts here about stacks over many years, I think it's safe to say that many people find the current stacking design much less than optimal. But I think it is unlikely Adobe will ever make any changes, no matter how simple. A couple of suggestions for making the current LR a little easier to use:

- "basically a "select all in stack" option key for the selection process."

If you shift-click on the stack-count badge in the upper-left corner of the top thumbnail, that will simultaneously expand the stack and select all the photos in the stack.

- The Syncomatic plugin can copy metadata and attributes (like Reject) from the top of the stack to photos inside the stack and vice versa. It can do many stacks at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While that and other plugins are grand, Many of those features should be built into LrC.  We all have our favorite missing feature but mine is to make stacking information available in Filters and Smart Collecitons (and visible in the Metadata Panel).  What I want are the following fields

Stack Position (a numeric value).  0 = not in stack.  1 through n position in stack

One problem though is that images in collections can be stacked differently than those same images when using a folder as a source.  I'd be happy if this were just implemented for folder stacks but if the smart folkds at Adobe could devise a way to to provide this field for collections as well and in the filder or smart collection a way to specify if you are referring to the folder stack position vs a particular colleciton smart colleciton  (e.g. StackPos-Folder vs StackPos-<collection name>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure where the idea of shift clicking the stack number comes from, but it definitely does not work in any version of LR I've ever used on a Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I'm not sure where the idea of shift clicking the stack number comes from, but it definitely does not work in any version of LR I've ever used on a Mac."

The Shift Click Stack Count shortcut has been present since at least Nov 2010 (LR 3):

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/handling-of-pano-hdr-pieces-photos.10299/post-74253  

There are many references to it since then in this forum and the Lightroom Queen forum. 

I don't know why it doesn't work for you, but yours is the first report I've seen that it doesn't work. See these screen recordings showing it in action in LR 13.3.1 on Mac OS 14.5 and Windows 11:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vb703gy08ba0q2l/shift-click-stack-count-mac.2024-06-14.mp4?dl=0 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnbx7wub2cf4wgm/shift-click-stack-count-win.2024-06-14.mp4?dl=0 

Votes

Translate

Translate