• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: A way to create a custom crop overlay.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for a way to create a custom crop overlay.  The few that Lightroom offer don't work when trying to do consistant head sizing in the program.  

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012
This is a great feature request. We're definitely aware of it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
72 Comments
Engaged ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many types of compositional overlays that aren't included in Lightroom's Crop Tool. I would love to see at least twice as many as there currently are (more diagonals, golden ratios, root 4 rectangle, enclosures, etc...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, seriously, how hard would it be to give Camera Raw (Bridge) the same cropping choices as are in Lightroom and Photoshop (i.e., Fibonacci, Triangle, Diagonal, etc.)? This disparity in features is inexcusable and embarrassing. Surely the teams communicate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if anyone suggested this but what I want is the ability to place individual crops for the different ratios as possibly a layer overlay on the image so that I can suggest different crops based on what a customer might order for a print. Then I would like to be able to produce a JPG using Image Processor and have a selection for which crop overlay it uses to produce the JPG.

I want the crop overlays to remain persistent in the PSD and/or XMP file (I use rarely just use Camera Raw, all my edited images end up as PSDs) so that if someone comes back later to suggest they want a different crop, I simply rerun Image Processor with the crop they requested and Image Processor looks up the correct crop overlay and crops the image.

By doing this, it would never be necessary to actually crop the original image, just suggest where the crop would be. This would guarantee consistent results from the same original image should you have to go back and regenerate a crop later after adding more edits to the PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Lightroom but I had always assumed that Camera Raw would be used by Lightroom and Bridge/Photoshop. It would be nice if they were combined so that what you get in one, you get in the other because they are the same. I don't see the need for two different versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the images below. In the Lightroom Classic crop tool, click on Custom, enter the Custom Crop Ratio you want then, back in the Crop Tool, the new Custom Crop Ratio will show up in the list for you to choose.

Sorry about these images, I had to use my iPhone since my snip tool would turn off the list where the custom selection is.

APC_0221.jpgAPC_0222.jpgKA5Q DXCC Honor Roll Plaque-1.jpg

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for a crop overlay, not custom aspect ratio.  I crop all my portaits at 5x7.  A custom overlay would adjust with your image as you crop in, the same way the grid or rule of thirds overlays do.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tanya5E41  I can't quite picture what you are asking for. How would it know where to position it's self? If that is what you are asking for.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the OP wants to have a specific overlay shwon when cropping.  The grid lines shown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From a similar posting, but for 1:1, modify for your desired 5:7

So, in the screenshot below, I have selected the crop tool, I have not specified a crop ratio. And my default overlay shows up (Thirds)

GoldingD_0-1632246702044.png

Now, I can change the overlay, in the below, to Aspect Ratio

GoldingD_2-1632246702955.png

select just tour desired ratio

GoldingD_4-1632246703039.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I am looking for has nothing to do with the aspect ratio.  I want a better option to use as a cropping overlay.  Thirds, Grid, Diagnal, Center, Triangle, Golden Ratio, Golden Spiral, and Aspect Ratio are the only current options.  I am trying to just send in a suggestion to Adobe to add a better option for those who would like to create their own custom overlay.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!! I need this too for headsizing!  It would be nice to create a custom overlay in Photoshop, and then upload into Lightroom.  Or for lightroom to be able to have custom lines created at specific distances, and/or ovals.  How is this not an option?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering this too!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct.  If you've shot hundreds of school portraits and want to make all their heads the same size using the crop tool, lightroom currently does not have an easy overlay that allows for this.  An oval that could surround the face, or better yet, A.I. that detects their eyes and then applies a crop based on that so all faces come out same size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The nearest function possible in Lightroom-Classic is a 'Layout Image' overlay, but it is not real useful as it disappears when you choose the Crop Tool.

Rob_Cullen_0-1647990635136.png

It is useful when Camera Tethering as you can position the camera view to place and size a 'face' view.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I am a portrait photographer and I often take corporate photos, in this case, I have a large number of photos to crop while keeping a uniform appearance. I would like to have a custom template grid allowing me to crop easily a whole batch of photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One technique you can use which can be very specific to your need, is a Loupe Overlay image.

Make a largely transparent image in PS, of the needed aspect ratio, that includes whatever guideline graphics you want. Then save this out in PNG and load that up within LrC as an overlay. This centres to fill your image. Unfortunately it only updates its scaling when you release the mouse after updating the crop, so this works as a trial-and-error process - as opposed to the standard crop overlay which updates live as you change the crop. And you will need to then toggle this Loupe Overlay off, otherwise the guidleines will show up in the output!

For normal crop overlay: besides the standard overlays, you can also choose a grid which is zoomable (for example, you might standardise on a grid scaled to 7 squares wide on the image). Perhaps you can guide your photo composition in that way. But I don't know of any way to use your own custom design of "live" crop overlay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this technique before, but it's not practical, I would just like to benefit from an overlay with a head/eye area to be able to crop in an homogeneous way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C'mon Adobe.  Please give us this option.  A custom overlay for those of us doing volume photography is a must.  Give us the option to adjust transparency of that overlay and it will be a huge timesaver for certain workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using an app called 'Red Lines Tools' (from the Mac Appstore). It's not working well in Crop-Mode, as the image size varies from image to image with no way to set it consistent. But it's working in full-screen view. So with a lot of going back and forth it's only just usable.
But Lightroom should do better! Please, please provide options to set custom crop overlays! It will be a lot of help for us portrait photographers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC has a loupe overlay so you can display your own custom image over the top your images. 

This is a similar request.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-a-way-to-create-a-custom-crop-overlay/idi-p...

However, in 12.3 on macOS whilst you can display the overlay as soon as you enable Crop overlay tool the custom image disappears.

The workflow here is trying to crop a sequence of images consistently. So you setup an overlay so you can align things correctly - for example you want a product in the same position between shots. If you are making your own overlay you might also define a bounding box in which you want the object to appear.

Ideally the reference overlay you make is targetting the final cropped image. So having the Loupe Overlay sensibly visible when you are doing the crop is important. By sensibly, I mean that the overlay appears relative to the crop rectangle, not the original image. I want to make sure that certain elements in my final crop are aligned perfectly. There are times when you need more accuracy than a coarse grid and if you do have the grid enabled, counting boxes over several images slows you down.

Right now it is cumbersome having to switch between tools to check whether you have actually pin pointed the crop properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tanya - I'm looking for the same thing for the exact same reason. Upsetting to see that two years later it still hasn't been added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a very good idea, which must be super hard to implement or what are the excuses, why this is not a thing yet? Lightroom and Photoshop, both has different way crop overlay settings. Instagram's peak period is probably over, but if this is implemented in next 5 years, we may still use it. Just imagine this: you are cropping 5:4 and see also 1:1 overlay. Yes, this is possible in LrC, but not possible in Ps. Custom overlays? In this decade? Nah. Btw, idea from May 18, 2011. Shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate