• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to sync Lightroom Classic keywords with the Lightroom Ecosystem

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keywords do not sync correctly: When added on the mobile app (iOS), they do not appear in LR classic and not in LR Web (I deleted the new LR CC immediately, this version does not make sense to me).
Same problem into the other direction: Keywords from LR classic do not appear on the mobile app. 
Attention: At this stage the whole keywording within the iOS app should not be used!

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018
"I would like to know if it is deliberate or not. "

Oliver - this is as-designed behavior. 

Lightroom Classic uses hierarchical keywords. 
Lightroom CC (all platforms) uses a combination of AI keywords plus user-entered keywords in a non-hierarchical schema. 

When you migrate a Lightroom Classic CC catalog into Lightroom CC there is a one-time transference of keywords from Classic to CC but those keywords are flattened out of their hierarchy.

A hierarchical schema is not compatible for various workfl...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017
This is a known limitation. Keywords do not sync between Lightroom Classic and the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 394 Replies 394
394 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All threads are read. 

Please see the official response at the top of the thread. If anything were to change that is where any update would appear. That official response also contains the link to the feature request (Add Keyword Hierarchy to Lightroom Ecosystem). This would be an antecedent to this feature request. 

Please continue to vote using the [Vote] button at the top of this (and the other ) page so that relative customer feedback continues to feed to our internal systems informing product management.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk Thank you for replying.
I voted a while ago....
Actually I just don't understand how you can say the 2 products are for different audiences.
If so, why do you propose and put forward a subscription with both ?
The only reason why your cloud subsciption with mobile and desktop lightrooms is interesting (to me?) is exactly because we have a workflow, starting mobile (on the IPAD Pro for me) while on the move for long periods (weeks) downloading images, starting to edit, keywords, ... and continuing back home on the desktop (and the CC desktop version doesn't have what is needed such as print...)...
And later going back and forth between mobile and desktop is a huge productivity gain (keywords, color tags, editing on the ipad or iphone while commuting for instance...)... otherwise what's the point os syncing...
I can't understand how this is not obvious to your Lightroom product management team...
Not being able to fully use my expensive subsciption (missing keyword, persons....) is making me doubt I will continue it and look forward for your competition to propose it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a plug-in for Lightroom Classic that I find invaluable. It syncs smart collections to mirrored normal collections. Using this i make smart collections with important keywords (sometimes limiting to say 3 stars) then I sync those collections to mobile. It’s a bit of setup and of course wouldn’t be feasible for too many keywords but works well for me. For example I made a folder called “3 star vacation”. This is one way to benefit from your LR Classic’s keywords in mobile.

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-good...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted this before, but here it is again

PROPOSED WAY (for Adobe) TO SYNC KEYWORDS BETWEEN CLASSIC AND CLOUDY

Even keeping the constraint that LR Classic uses hierarchical KW's and LR Cloud uses a linear (flat) KW structure, this problem can be solved.  There are, of course, some technical aspects but the main rationale I've heard so far for not doing this is the logical problem of how to map a hierarchical structure to a linear structure.  One solution is to convert LR Cloud to a hierarchical structure but putting that aside, here is one possible solution to that problem:

1)  In LR Classic, Adobe can add check boxes in the create/edit keyword dialog for

·         "Sync this KW with LR Cloud"

·         "Sync Containing KW's with LR Cloud"

·         "Sync Synonyms with LR Cloud (would become regular KW's in LR Cloud)”

2)  . In LR Classic, whenever you mark a Keyword to Sync (as suggested above), it checks to assure that another keyword with the same name but under a different parent – or no parent - is not also marked to Sync.  If it finds one it would deny the request to mark it for sync with a message.  In this way, there would no longer be a case where a single keyword in LR Cloudy could map to more than one keyword in LR Classic.  In our example, if one wanted both occurrences of "red" to sync, the user would need to rename one or both of them (e.g.  Red-Bird and Red-Car).

3)  When Adobe syncs LR/Classic to LR/Cloudy the hierarchical Keywords selected to sync will map to a flat keyword structure (due to rule 2).   In addition, Parent keywords in LR/Classic can also sync into the flat LR/Cloudy structure where using “Sync Containing Keywords” options uses the same logic that is used today with export.  Of course those sunced parent keywords would no longer be parents in LR/.Cloudy but would also be in the flat structure.

4)  If an image in LR Classic loses a keyword or these tick's get changed, the changes on effected images can be placed in the Smart Preview (or XMP data) and can sync to LR Cloud.  This may include adding or removing KW’s in LR Cloud or attaching/detaching keywords from images in LR Cloud

5)  If a user defined KW is added to an image in LR Cloud it could map to either no KW in LR Classic or at most one "ticked" KW in LR Classic.  In the former case, LR Classic would create the new KW at the root level of the Hierarchy with "Sync this KW with LR Cloud" ticked.  In the later case there could be only 1 ticked LR Classic Keyword (or synonym) with that name that would be affected.

I worked for Adobe for several years and have a very high regard for the quality of the engineers there to solve this problem if management would just ask them to do it.

THIS CAN BE DONE if there is a will to do so at Adobe and the more people who "vote" for having KW's sync between the ecosystems, the more it will push Adobe to re-consider this.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see how this relates to this thread?  Are you claiming that by syncing a dumb collection, that has cloud sync turned on, with the contents of a smart collection that somehow that syncs keyword changes to/from the cloud?   Unless the plugin is doing something under the covers wtih smart previews I don't see how that could happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan, perhaps it doesn’t relate. I’m not claiming any like you described.

It’s a work around that I use. In Lightroom Classic I use keywords to find photos quick. In Lightroom Mobile I’m frustrated because I cannot search for photos tagged with keywords from Classic. Keyword based smart albums are now indirectly accessible on my Lightroom Mobile. If I’m on the go and want to show a picture of my dog I just bring up the “Dogs” album that is automatically synced from the keyword “Dogs”.

I thought since other people on this thread are suffering from missing keyword sync they might find value in my work around. In that way I think it related to the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Aha,  Now I understand what you're doing.  You are using a Collection as a surrogate for a keyword so that albums in Cloudy relate to keywords in Classic.  Okay, that makes sense assuming the number of keywords that need such treatment are reasonable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just add to LR people that I do not care about the hierarchical way to organise keyword. If tomorrow I have a pop up asking me if I want to 1. flatten my keyword forever in my classic collection in order to use sync in cc or 2. Keep hierarchical
I would click 1. Immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! Me too 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the hierarchy extensively but agree given the choice of pressing that imagined button I’d be disappointed but I’d agree to it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sad customers do not understand they are totally captive using cloud and or subscription model. Is is so easy to understand. Maybe mire difficult tp admit. It is  obvious Adobe just limits functionality and spread some minor update all month long too justify you have to pay a subscription. There is plethora of lobby, including the Queen and other youtubers devoted to Adobe, that's probably why things are not more easy to understand. So this sync will never be implemented , believe me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree on the captivity part as well as in the spread of minor updates to justify the price.
I find, however, to see much less LR related content on YouTube than before « cloudy ». It’s maybe just a feeling, but if true, I wonder why it would be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right. Im fact there is less and less YouTube content. People are switching. Thats good for us. C1 seems the good alternative. With no cloud, for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please take your off topic discussion elsewhere? This is about realising the benefits of the cloud integration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not forget it is a 2 years old topic. Just a shame.
Do not forget the cloud integration is actually far from perfect. A good paid beta testing missing what people really wants.
So it is not an off topic. 
it is a reality. Sorry mate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet you suggest looking into competition that does no cloud integration whatsoever. You are a hypocrite at best. And don’t use the colloquial term “mate” addressing me! You don’t know me! And your ramblings are off topic, because this thread is about making the cloud integration better while you don’t believe there will be. So be it, keep your negativity to yourself it’s not helping!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?? I do not understand you. At least competitor does not claim to offer cloud, si I’m not hypocrite but realistic. For sure I don’t know you. You don’t know me either 🙂
Sorry this topic is about Sync Keywords between the 2 LR. So about sync : A simple thing Adobe does not offer for segmentation reason. So simple.  I’m sorry for you, it is good sometimes somebody comes and explains some obvious facts. Regards. PS : 
sorry if I use a colloquial term. English is not my mother tongue. Chill...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems incredible that keywords sync is not posible between LR platforms... Hardly to believe that it`s not technically posible when you can even sync develop settings... Why is that?

Keywords sync between LR platforms is a must !

Please, Adobe, fix this !

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, please, please fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do struggle with the attempt to be able to sort, edit, keyword all my pictures on more than one Laptop. I like Lightroom Classic, especially since the speed dramatically increased.

Now I thought, it would be a good option to have the "main" editing and stuff on my laptop and sync with my second laptop and even my smartphone using the mobile versions. Like all the others, I struggled with keywords the most.

I do not understand why keyword syncing is not possible. And if so, why is it not possible to collaborate on two Laptops with Lightroom classic on one catalog?

In my opinion, Adobe's mentality is ten or twenty years behind the state-of-the-art with regards to cloud functions, syncing and customer care.

Can someone recommend a lightroom alternative, which can be used synchronously on two laptops? I could store the catalog on a performant network drive. Ideally, the lightroom catalog should be imported into the new software. Ideally, the new software has no such strong vendor lock-in like Adobe.

So, can someone recommend an alternative?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't keywords replicate properly between classic and mobile? If I change or add keywords after images have been synced the alterations don't replicate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at the answers at the beginning of this thread, Adobe reps explain why it's set up like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that there is an answer from Adobe doesn't change the fact that it is a complete pain for people who want to use both products!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I 100% agree!  Just that there seem to be a lot of people asking "can I do this" or "why doesn't it work" and ignoring the answer that says exactly why.

Hopefully Adobe will see this thread and realize this is something people want, but based on the answers they've given, I would say that there's little chance of this, they seem to have made their minds up about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The closest I've seen is Mylio.  But, in order to get your metadata to sync over, it requires you to save it to the file.  https://support.mylio.com/from-lightroom/

Votes

Translate

Translate