P: Allow for keyboard shortcut customization

240 Votes
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Customizable keyboard shortcuts in Lightroom would be great. I just find it so confusing that crop and brush tools and things like that have such odd keyboard shortcuts in Lightroom. I understand that changing that all now would be awful for many existing users, but being able to override them like I can in Photoshop would be helpful. Doesn't anyone else out there find they use to wrong keyboard shortcuts in the wrong program?

Idea Planned
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Updating Status

Status Planned

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 228 Replies 228
228 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I would really like to be able to set custom shortcuts in Lightroom Classic.

Short version : It's awesome, for example, it allows you to cull AND retouch pictures using only a gaming controller, which is much more ergonomic and faster than using a keyborad and mouse. You can set exposure +0.3EV with just the push of a button, even in Library module, etc.

Long version : 

Back in 2015, this was easy with a plugin called VSCO Keys. The plugin died when Lightroom got updated and support for this plugin was abandonned, rendering it unusable.

A lot of people have been wanting to get custom shortcuts since then (and to be honest, since way before since the plugin was an extra purchase). I don't want to rant anymore, I'll just say my personal opinion is that for such an incredible software used by so many people (Lightroom is the industry standard) it absolutely should have been built in, a long long time ago. This is critical guys, come on...

What it allows you to do is : basically anything you want. For example, you can set exposure +0.3EV with just the push of a button, even in Library module, etc. (currently the + or - slider feature only works in Develop module and you have to manually select whatever slider you want making it super slow). I feel it would be a somewhat easy implement for the developpers but would give so much to the users.  I think the primary reason this has not been done is to not hurt the sales of aftermarket solutions (either software or, and mainly, hardware) but I don't care. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Thibaut253735311vgj 

To link a button to a develop action, a specific one, well that's not yet possible in Lightroom and it's not something custom shortcuts will allow us to do.

You can easily achieve  "Exposure  +0.3" using a develop preset.

The Preset can be easily accessed via the Quick Develop or in Develop Module.

If you want instead to increase all selected photos by +0.3 you can do it in quick Develop or using Auto Sync, or Sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Thibaut253735311vgj I'm actually building a Mac application that will allow a user to adjust the develop sliders with their keyboard. It's currently being used internally in our photo editing business but I plan on releasing it to the public here soon. If you'd like more information, please feel free to complete this form: https://airtable.com/shrifJQwgqNpjIQR4

Votes

Translate

Translate