• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Allow for keyboard shortcut customization

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Customizable keyboard shortcuts in Lightroom would be great. I just find it so confusing that crop and brush tools and things like that have such odd keyboard shortcuts in Lightroom. I understand that changing that all now would be awful for many existing users, but being able to override them like I can in Photoshop would be helpful. Doesn't anyone else out there find they use to wrong keyboard shortcuts in the wrong program?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Updating status

Status No status

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 272 Replies 272
272 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be really great if the user could define keyboard shortcuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Please make this happen!  And then let us print out a list of all shortcuts with an automatic date stamp! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and let us change these shortcuts according to user and/or language.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact you can change the shortcut today but it will be overwriten when you will update. Go to

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic\Resources\fr (for french for exemple)

and look inside the text file TranslatedStrings_Lr_fr_FR.txt you will find things like

"$$$/AgApplication/Menu/Window/SecondMonitor/ZoomInShortcut=Cmd+Shift+="

You can then change the shortcut at your own risk

Sheepdog trying to help Lightroom and Photoshop beginners

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ouioui - I didn't know that I could do that but if they are shortcuts which can be overwritten so easily, they're no good for my purposes.  Merci! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is just a trick 😉 

Sheepdog trying to help Lightroom and Photoshop beginners

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Keyboard Tamer plugin lets you define shortcuts and quickly restore them after an update to the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nine and a half years and still no option for Windows users to make their own keyboard actions/shortcuts. Please, please PLEASE just do this already. Photoshop is 100x better already having this function. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*James Brooks 

yuuuuuup..... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to set Custom Shortcuts in Lightroom Classic, for example the way VSCO Keys used to do it ?

It was a MASSIVE time saver, to be able to perform actions (like pressing a key to add +0.3 exposure), whether you were in Library or Develop module, etc.

Without this the software is a lot worse, a lot slower and way less fun to use than it was 5 years ago. You could even cull through images with a gaming controller ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try using a Loupedeck controller. It allows full customization and lots of programming capabilities!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply ; yes I know it exists, but I would really prefer to not invest in a device just to do this. It was possible (and maybe still is) with some plugins in the past, and it's probably THE MOST requested feature ever in Lightroom Classic (and has been for what, 10 years now ?)... That absolutely should be integrated in LR. Alternative title could have been : "Come on Adobe, don't you want your customers to be happy" ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an existing authoritative thread for better tracking and response. Please review the official answer (if any) in the second post on the thread for more information. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Modifiable Keyboard shortcuts are a must for any professional editing tool. Please Adobe, this would be a welcome addition to a nice product. Especially since we pay a monthly subscription. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to blame Adobe for not fixing one-key keyboard shortcuts in Lightroom Classic on non-English keyboards, even though this problem has excited since Lightroom version 1 (at least with Finnish keyboard layout).

Seems like Adobe is NEVER going to be fixing this problem, even though it renders some functions non-operational. (sidenote: subscription model and recurring monthly revenue hasn't made Adobe any more aware to take any responsibility in this issue, as this problem has been with as for a over a decade)

This key mapping problem affects multi-key keyboard shortcuts as well, as keys needed for some multi-key keyboard shortcuts either doesn't exist at all or collide with other shortcuts.

For example, in Library Module:

• Deselect Active Photo (one-key keyboard shortcut /) — I don't have that key on my Finnish keyboard (as that character sits behind combination Shift + 7, and that combination is for Set Color Label to Yellow and Advance to Next Photo) so I don't have a keyboard shortcut for deselecting active photo. Can you imagine — I've needed mouse to perform that action with a Command + Mouse Click for over a decade. Over a decade!

• Decrease | Increase Rating (one-key keyboard shortcut [ and ]) — I don't have that key on my Finnish keyboard (as those characters sit behind combination Option + 8 and Option + 9) so hitting Option + 8 and Option + 9 will Decrease and Increase Rating instead of what Option + 8 and Option + 9 should be doing, that is Set Keyword (so I can't use keyboard shortcut for the last two keywords in a Keyword Set).

For example, in Develop Module:

• Before Only (one-key keyboard shortcut \) — I don't have that key on my Finnish keyboard (as that character sits behind combination Option + Shift + 7) so in order to switch between Before and After Views instead of one key with one hand, I need to hit three keys with two hands. So I leave my other hand on the mouse just to quickly glance on the Before View. Very frustrating.

There's other examples where keyboard shortcuts won't work on non-English keyboard layout (at least a Finnish one) but they all would be not an issue, if only Lightroom Classic users would be able to change keyboard shortcuts to different one-key and multi-key keyboard shortcuts — like we can do in Adobe InDesign and Adobe Illustrator, for example.

I have two questions for Adobe team (and I think I deserve an answer after complaining and waiting an answer for over a decade😞

1. Why all other Adobe apps let me chance keyboard shortcuts, but not Lightroom Classic?
  2. Why nothing has been done to non-working keyboard shortcuts in non-English keyboard layouts (at least Finnish keyboard layout)?

As a workaround, I've used excellent Keyboard Maestro to circumvent some of the keyboard shortcut problems, but it can't do anything to some of them (like that basic and often used Deselect Active Photo), and I anyway ask for answers to those two questions above.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change most (but not all) of LR's keyboard shortcuts by editing the TranslatedStrings.txt file:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/custom-keyboard-shortcuts/

Here are the particular lines to change (the ones below are taken from the German file):

Deselect Active Photo

"$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/File/Edit/DeselectActive/Key=Shift+d"

Before Only 

"$$$/AgDevelop/Menu/View/BeforeAfter/Before/Key=Shift+v"

Decrease | Increase Rating

"$$$/LibraryMenus/MenuShortcut/IncreaseRating=."

"$$$/LibraryMenus/MenuShortcut/DecreaseRating=,"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree that LR should do a much better job of providing easily customized keyboard shortcuts.  That's one of the most popular all-time feature requests:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/lightroom-classic-allow-for-keyboard-shortcut...

After observing over eight years that Adobe was unlikely to do so, three years ago I posted a detailed, low-cost proposal for how Adobe could make it much easier for plugin-authors to provide fully customizable shortcuts:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/lightroom-classic-allow-for-keyboard-shortcut... 

The only improvement that's happened in the past 11 years is that Adobe appears to have greatly improvement quality control for keyboard shortcuts in languages other than English (knock on wood). For a long stretch, every release seemed to introduce sloppy bugs in the TranslatedStrings file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe my post is a separate issue to this one @johnrellis @Rikk Flohr: Photography: the issue I'm explaining is an error as those keyboard shortcuts are not working.

This thread is about allowing keyboard shortcuts to be changed by the user (fully supporting that!) — but on Finnish keyboards some of those keyboard shortcuts really just aren't working at all after installing Lightroom Classic (like Deselect Active Photo), as there's no keys for those shortcuts.

I don't understand how Adobe can happily sit on this for over a decade and not do anything. For  average user let alone beginner editing text preference files or buying Keyboard Maestro, just to get their keyboard shortcuts working, is a very strange strategy (and if it is, there should be a documented help guide for non-English users to do that even if that's a sad strategy right there).

EDIT: In upcoming LRC 11.1 there is a bug fix for a keyboard shortcut: "(Windows) Mask Overlay Cycle Color KBSC Fails 4207667 [Shift]+[ O ]" — why is there no bug fix for this major keyboard shortcut bug since the beginning of Lightroom over a decade ago?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@anssik_, the first question in your post was:

"1. Why all other Adobe apps let me change keyboard shortcuts, but not Lightroom Classic?'

which is why I suggested merging with this thread. Your second question:

"2. Why nothing has been done to non-working keyboard shortcuts in non-English keyboard layouts (at least Finnish keyboard layout)?"

If you want LR to directly support Finnish keyboard layouts, without any customization needed by the user, I suggest submitting a separate, focused feature request in the Ideas section:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/123863...

After years of requests, Adobe did add support for Russian and Thai in LR 9.3.  The Russian feature request got 23 votes over 7 years, which made it significantly more popular than most feature requests, but didn't put it in the "very popular" category.  (Votes are only one input into Adobe's prioritization, obviously.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list of people that would like customizable keyboard shortcuts.  I'm not even trying to do anything exotic, just make the ctrl/0 work the same as it does in Photoshop - change the zoom so the image fits the screen.  Instead, I toggle the Histogram on and off a half dozen times a day when trying to zoom back to "Fit"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating Status

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Planned

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you provide more information about the timeline for this feature release? Also, will this allow for develop slider functionality via keyboard shortcuts? @Rikk Flohr: Photography 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As part of this request will you allow to also assign shortcuts to actions that don't have them yet or not?!

That is a must have IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate