Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Allow for keyboard shortcut customization

May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Customizable keyboard shortcuts in Lightroom would be great. I just find it so confusing that crop and brush tools and things like that have such odd keyboard shortcuts in Lightroom. I understand that changing that all now would be awful for many existing users, but being able to override them like I can in Photoshop would be helpful. Doesn't anyone else out there find they use to wrong keyboard shortcuts in the wrong program?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Updating status

Status No status

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 277 Replies 277
277 Comments
Participant ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me LrSuperKeys  is my go to plugin. It does not offer customisation for all shortcuts, but mainly for the develop module.

The reason I choose this one is, that it implemented the Speed Edit Key functionality known from Capture One into Lightroom, which is a real timesaver when editing images. It also allows applying presets via shortcuts and has a handy quick menu.

Having the Speed Edit Keys in Lightroom is a game changer. I wish, Adobe would add something similar, since they are planning something for almost 1.5 years now.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography 12 years on; what has happened please?

Whenever I am tagging images, I keep finding that my cursor isn't in the right box and my screeen goes on a demented journey round different modules because astoundingly Lightroom uses single-key shortcuts for all sorts of things.  So non-user-friendly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating status

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status No status

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up on this one a while ago...  It looks like we're doomed to forever hit Ctrl/0 to change to "Fit" like it works in Photoshop, and we'll continue to have the histogram come and go in Lightroom...  The lack of ability to customize shortcuts after so many years is unfortunate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2023 Nov 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 - Shortcuts in Literoom Classic should be manual. Shortcuts for all tools should be manual.
2- Masking has people field option, it is necessary to give disable and enable option 
3- It is necessary to give all mask deleted option in masking tool so that the editor side good  ,Which is currently in the effects panel which is not needed there

Screenshot_4.png
4- It would be great if Lightroom had skin retouching or portrait tool option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bhargav338567848emw 

Going through your points one by one.

1. To customize your KBSC you can use @John R Ellis Any Shortcut plug-in: https://johnrellis.com/lightroom/anyshortcut.htm

2. For the time being you can assign a KBSC to "Select People" or any other Tool tha doesn't have a KBSC

On Mac oS is easy to do using System Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts... > App Shortcuts

On Windows you can use the relative KBSC string or assign a KBSC to the command via AutoHotKey free application.

Unfortunately Adobe refused/denied the request to fix and add the missing strings for the Ai tools (Select People, Select Background, Select Sky and Objects) so it is not possible to assign a KBSC using @John R Ellis Any Shortcut plug-in.

3. "All Masks" can be deleted Right Clicking on any Mask edit pin.

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 08.44.42.png

For some reason we can Reset Healing or Red Eye using right click (when the panel is open) without actually having to actually navigate to any of Red Eye or Healing.

You can download the following Script, assign a KBSC to it so you can delte Masking at any time form develop.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/83vyfx4ro57c8qcf5zbvi/h?rlkey=t62b6oiumpfr6hjv0tdfxhn2a&dl=0

4- You can use People > Facial Skin and Body Skin for that and use any setting you want.

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 08.56.59.png

You can apply Point Color locally using those Ai masks for precise skin retouch OR use any settings you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's extremely, disappointing. Why have they downgraded it? 

I'm sick of thinking I'm in the field to allocate a keyword, typing a keyword that includes D and finding I'm in the develop model. Other built-in shortcuts are equally annoying. Single-key shortcuts are so non-standard. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the plug-in let me remove, or assign no action to, the built-in single key shortcuts?

The phrasing suggests not. "A greyed-out command shortcut cannot be edited since it is hardwired into Lightroom." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JimButNotHim

You can assign any KBSC or remove them but not those in gray.

Those ones are embedded in the code and unmodifiable not even by MacOs.

E.g I removed the "New Brush Mask (Brush) KSB completely.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 10.43.35.png

Edit

Actually there are some KBSC that inexplicably can't be assigned but @John R Ellis is tracking them, consult the plug-in info section "Known limitations and Issues"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, but doesn't cover the a big Lightroom PITA - ctrl/0 toggles the histogram in both the library and develop module.  I can't recall the number of times I've wanted to "fit" the current image in the available space and hit ctrl/0 as in Photoshop and other tools.  Why Lightroom decided not to follow the already existing Adobe custom I have no idea, but so far I've been unable to find anything that would enable me to correct this #$%^&* decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DavePinMinn 

With Any Shortcut you can assign Toggle Zoom to Ctrl + 0

Or very simply use the existing and more easily reachable kbsc "Z" to always toggle from the current zoom to Fit (assuming you've chosen "Fit" an not "Fill")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I'm not understanding what's needed 'cause this request has been out there for a VERY long time, and I've never been able to do it.  So, exactly HOW do I assign ctrl/0 to have the image "fit", regardless of the current magnification, in Lightroom?  In Windows 11.  Think in terms of "Lightroom for Dummies"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DavePinMinn 

LrC doesn't allow to "Toggle to Fit"

The behavior doesn't exist.

Even via the API the best we can do is "Toggle to 100%" or do "Toggle Zoom" or do zoom step increments/decrements.

If there is a way to specifically set a precise Zoom to which to toggle to via the SDK then I missed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I have installed the plugin, and gone through every category (and subcategory because it only shows the first 100 matching shortcuts). What a lot of work that must have been to create! 

I still cannot get rid of the fact that whilst in the library pressing F goes full screen, L changes to the next light mode, T hides or shows the task bar, Z goes to Loupe view (which is by default the shortcut E), and if in Loupe, G goes to Grid view.

None of those are shown in any of the sections within the edit screens, because I've changed them to blanks.

Single key shortcuts are an abomination. Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JimButNotHim: "I'm sick of thinking I'm in the field to allocate a keyword, typing a keyword that includes D and finding I'm in the develop model. Other built-in shortcuts are equally annoying."

Do you find that if you explicitly click in the Keywording box and type "d", you're taken to Develop, or type "f" and taken to Full Screen Preview? A few others (all on Mac, not Windows like you) have reported similar symptoms:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/entering-text-in-metadata-launches-keyb...

The symptoms they describe are clearly a bug. If your symptoms are similar, as a next troubleshooting step, resetting LR's preferences:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help.

Follow up with your results (positive or negative) on that other thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So long as I'm in the keyword input field, letters are just letters and not shortcuts. Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, back to flogging the dead horse..............  I'm on Windows, so I need to edit the translation file.

I'm looking at the translation file that's in resources/en.

I'm using the translation file in resources/es as a source to try to find the current key 'cause the english file doesn't have anything.

I'd like to do 2 things.

I'd like to STOP having the "z" key do "ToggleZoomView"  and have it do EITHER "NextPhoto" (preferrable) OR SetPick/Flagged.  When I press the z I want to go to the next image, just like it does when I press "x" to reject an image.  I don't care if the image is flagged or not, I just want hitting z to go to the next image.

If I CAN'T have ctrl+0 do a "fit" on the image, can I at LEAST have it do a ToggleZoomView?  SOMETHING other than toggling the #$%^&* histogram on and off.

This is what's in the Spanish translation file

"$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/View/ToggleZoomView/Key=z"

"$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/Photo/SetPick/Flagged/Key=p"

Can somebody explain why I CAN'T do

"$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/View/ToggleZoomView/Key=Crtl+0"
"$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/Photo/SetPick/Flagged/Key=z"

Are all these things locked somehow, or what IS going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is really annoying when you type some keyboard combination and suddenly LR activates some weird function like tagging people or now in my case I see all my photos in black and white. Closing LR and reinitiating does NOT fix the problem

This has to be one of the things I hate the most of LR. I hope someday they give is the feature to DISABLE this "feature" that for me is a big nuisance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just goes to show you can't make everybody happy. Most users depend on keyboard shortcuts for speed and efficiency, and the usual request is for more shortcuts.

That said however, one improvement that should satisfy everybody, is customizable shortcuts like we have in Photoshop. Then you could disable as many as you want.

In the meantime, you can print out this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/using/keyboard-shortcuts.html 

or here

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/free-downloads/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the Photoshop solution would be at least something. A button with disable ALL shortcuts in the preferences would be a clean solution that would solve the issue in a simple way.

I use some key shortcuts in PS but as I enter metadata in LR when I write quickly sometimes some unexpected function happens because of this. That's the reason I would disable all shortcuts. In PS I do not write words so when I touch the keyboard it is really because I want to use a shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree adobe should make as people said in Photoshop but also like primere it's amazing how you can chose and edit your shortcuts. Can't can't how many times I by mistake pressed or held down CTRL P Or worse X. But no way to switch my flaging keys to something else or even shutting off all together. If you do something to much you can't even CTRL Z it and if you don't have a backup before of your catalog it's all lost. It's about time adobe fixes this. Make and allow us to choose what shortcuts do what and even shut off ones we choose. 

Student photographer, Videographer, and developer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I certainly find it frustrating not to be able to do a couple trivial shortcuts that would speed up my processing or prevent me from regularly slapping myself in the forehead, but considering how many years some of this has been requested, and the total lack of response, I think we're beating a dead horse... 

I'd be happy[ier] if Lightroom just followed the same flow as Photoshop and made Ctrl/0 do a fit image instead of toggling the histogram - which in all the years of USING Lightroom I've NEVER needed to do.  That one I probably hit automatically at LEAST a half dozen times a day.

Another thing that would make culling faster would be to be able to put the UNflag that's currently on the "U", forcing me to take my hand off the mouse every time I need it when culling, on the "C" so it's RIGHT NEXT to the Reject on the "X".  I don't recall what the "C" does by default 'cause I don't think I've ever used that either... 

I've tried to get those in the translation file, but have never been successful.

It WOULD be nice to have a little more flexibility and control over the Lightroom editing environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 14, 2024 Aug 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 13 years since this post.. what has the LR team been doing??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the answer speaks for itself...  Yet another requested feature that's been sitting for a decade that reminds me every time I use Lightroom what a PITA it is to work with pick flags when you're culling...  OR when you want to change magnification and you're used to the Photoshop shortcut...  I don't think simple features like configurability for productivity get much traction against glitz and hype...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 17, 2024 Aug 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey All, if you're using macOS, I think our application, Power Keys, would be a good fit for you. It allows you to make changes to develop sliders with keyboard shortcuts, personalize your keyboard shortcuts, and apply develop presets with keyboard shortcuts. There is a cost, but we have hundreds of happy subscribers who use Power Keys to edit faster. It's perfect for high-volume photographers such as wedding and portrait photographers. You can check it out here: www.getpowerkeys.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate