• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Include Subject Distance Metadata

Engaged ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I was not able to find any previous posts.  Since the Fall of 2013 Lightroom no longer captures the subject distance into the Lightroom metadata.  I remember hearing that subject distance was not considered to be accurate data and that's why it was dropped.  I reviewed a bunch of my older images and subject distance seems reasonably accurate to me.  I'd like to know who and why the decision was made to drop this data.  And what it would take to once again start capturing it upon import.  If the camera records data, it should be captured by Lightroom during import.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 8 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Jeff confirms that when he reimports the two sample photos into his LR 12 catalog, neither displays Subject Distance in the Metadata panel, while previously one showed it and the other didn't. He's pretty sure that photos taken with the same camera (D200) on 10/7/13 or earlier had Subject Distance and photos taken after didn't.  

I've tested LR 4.0 (released on 3/5/12) and LR 5.7.1 (12/13/14) and neither reads Subject Distance from those photos.  So most likely one or more LR releases between 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Forgot to mention: Jeff sent me two sample photos from his Nikon D200, one that displayed Subject Distance in his LR's Metadata panel and one that didn't. Neither contained EXIF:SubjectDistance, and neither displayed Subject Distance in my LR 12.1.

It could be that some earlier versions of LR tried to import MakerNotes:FocusDistance into the catalog's Subject Distance, while later versions gave that up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

I have looked into this a bit.

Recently, Adobe made the Subject Distance and Focus Distance metadata available in the Custom metatdata panel, but just enabling it doesn't display the information for all images in the catalog. For my Nikon D50/D80/D90/D750, some of the images in my catalog have values in Subject Distance, while others have values in Focus Distance. Most have nothing in either field. The raw files have values in the Maker:FocusDistance field, but Exif:SubjectDistanceRange is alway

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

"I think my custom metadata panel uses "com.adobe.subjectDistance".  Is that the same as Exif:SubjectDistance."

Yes.

"Is there any way I can access that data to display in my metadata panel?"

No, the Metadata panel won't display any of the proprietary fields in MakerNotes.  You'll have to use Any Filter (good for filtering and searching many photos at once) or the Metadata Viewer plugin to display all the metadata fields in one photo at a time.  Both plugins use the authoritative Exiftool utilit

Votes

Translate

Translate

"Okay here's a test using an older picture with a definite distance of 3.16 meters."

That's very curious. The photo appears not to have the field EXIF:SubjectDistance and yet LR is displaying a value for it.

Could you please upload that photo and new sample photo that doesn't display Subject Distance to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here (or send it to me in a private message)?  I'd like to determine precisely what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

"It looks like EXIF:SubjectDistance doesn't return a value."

The Metadata panel displays what's in EXIF:SubjectDistance, so if that's not present, LR won't display anything. I'm not sure why older photos from the D200 would have that field but newer ones not -- perhaps a firmware update at some point?  

"I'm not sure of the accuracy of MakerNotes:FocusDistance.  I don't think the bird in the picture was 7.94 meters (26 feet) away from me.  It was more like 15 feet away."

I think the focus distan

Votes

Translate

Translate

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

That indicates the camera has recorded in MakerNotes:FocusDistance (a non-standard, Nikon-proprietary field) 3.76 m in one photo and 7.94 m in the other:

johnrellis_0-1672523385719.png

Change MakerNotes:FocusDistance to EXIF:SubjectDistance and post a screenshot of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

"When I said that my pictures before 2013 had subject distance and the pictures after that didn't I was
referring to the same Nikon D200. I don't think my D200 is causing the problem. I use a custom metadata panel that I set up in Lightroom. It includes subject distance. My D200 pictures taken before 2013 have subject distance displayed in Lightroom."

I only have four sample D200 photos (one from 2007?), and none of them contain EXIF:SubjectDistance.

You can see if the later photos contain the fi

Votes

Translate

Translate
31 Comments
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also wish the camera, lens, and Lightroom all preserved object distance, but sadly they don't.

When you export photos using the same version 3.6 of Lightroom:
NIKON D80 35mm f/1.8, with object distance.
NIKON D750 24-120mm f/4, no object distance.

When you use the same photo taken with a D80:
Exported from Lightroom version 3.6, with object distance.
Lightroom version 13 export, no object distance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Can you upload a sample Nikon D80 that contains EXIF:SubjectDistance?  I only have two sample D80 .nefs, and neither contains EXIF:SubjectDistance. (Upload it to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.)

In my test catalog containing 268 camera models from 22 makes, only 14 models from 5 makes record EXIF:SubjectDistance:

johnrellis_0-1708883490151.png

And none of the sample raws from the 29 Nikon models contain EXIF:SubjectDistance (including the D80):

johnrellis_1-1708883762910.png

My LR 13.2 correctly exports EXIF:SubjectDistance for all of the images that do contain it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

I reconfirmed that in the original image taken by D80, there is no Subject Distance field, only the SubjectDistanceRange field, and the value is Unknown.

Metadata Info file of NEF by D80:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MM5aUsLzOfGkOjtcoA51zBr5m8namMye/view?usp=sharing

Metadata Info file of JPG by D80:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cpG3KHXAMlvnPafFdr-k-Plauc9G2_DY/view?usp=sharing

However, after the same photo is exported through Lightroom 3.6, there is a Subject Distance field with a roughly accurate value, but at the same time the SubjectDistanceRange field is still retained, and the value is still Unknown.

Metadata Info file of JPG exported by Lightroom 3.6
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Qz1TC0HscrM84Z1IRatXCRNtSWDjFlH/view?usp=sharing

Are they the same as your test results? Do I still need to upload sample images?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I reconfirmed that in the original image taken by D80, there is no Subject Distance field ... However, after the same photo is exported through Lightroom 3.6, there is a Subject Distance field with a roughly accurate value"

I think that is a bug or misdesign in LR 3.6 fixed in later versions. In general, LR preserves existing EXIF camera info fields and doesn't change them. I believe it was around LR 3 or 4 that Adobe decided not to make EXIF:SubjectDistance available in the Metadata panel, so perhaps they changed the 3.6 behavior at the same time.

I'm guessing that LR 3.6 filled in EXIF:SubjectDistance in the exported JPEG using the Nikon proprietary field MakerNotes:FocusDistance. Most of the sample .nefs in my test catalog record MakerNotes:FocusDistance. I could verify this if you share the .nef and exported .jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your reply, I understand.
And I also checked it, and the actual situation is the same as what you said.

"I'm guessing that LR 3.6 filled in EXIF:SubjectDistance in the exported JPEG using the Nikon proprietary field MakerNotes:FocusDistance. Most of the sample .nefs in my test catalog record MakerNotes:FocusDistance. I could verify this if you share the .nef and exported .jpg."

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think that's the way it should be, but there are places where Lightroom does change the field names.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/when-exporting-photos-using-lightroom-a...

When using Lightroom to export photos, the shutter_count of the photo Exif will be converted into image_number, so many software cannot recognize the shutter count. (Nikon camera D80 & D750)

Version of the app: Lr 3.6 - 13.2
Platform and OS version: Windows

"I think that is a bug or misdesign in LR 3.6 fixed in later versions. In general, LR preserves existing EXIF camera info fields and doesn't change them."

Votes

Translate

Translate