• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Revert Slideshow Module to previous method of generating previews

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This concerns the slideshow module in Lightroom Classic. Previously, when new folders were added to my catalogue, and I wished to view them as a slideshow, for the first time there was a delay while the slideshow previews were prepared, but for any subsequent viewings, the delay was minimal.

Following the latest version of LrC a few days ago, every time I wish to view a folder, there is a lengthy preparation time. The only way to avoid this is to use fn F to view a manual slideshow using the arrow key to move forward. I want to let the show progress automatically with a standard display time.

Your Help Team have told me that this is now standard in the latest version of LrC. This really is not acceptable in a supposedly professional application, and a very backward move. I use LrC daily, and need to view my photos frequently. I cannot wait 2 minutes or more before each folder starts to play. Please address this issue as soon as possible.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
38 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim, Does the time to prepare the slideshow also include the time to generate the previews? Can you ensure the standard previews are created for the images in the Slideshow before trying to play the slideshow? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the time is taken up in preparing previews. The slideshow does not start until the previews complete, maybe two minutes or more depending on the folder size. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Tim for checking.

Generating the standard previews will ensure the slideshow applies any edits or presets to the images, so they look as expected in the slideshow preview as well. If you had already generated the previews, it should not take much time when generating the slideshow. Could you please check if that is the case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Slideshow, if I press the preview button, it prepares the previews. But then if I press play, it prepares the previews again before it actually plays. Before the recent update, once the previews had been generated the first time, there was no delay with subsequent  viewings. The person who replied to my chat enquiry said that this was standard on the latest version of LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - that is the new behaviour. Though, if nothing has changed in the images, and previews are already available, the preview task should be completed quickly.

I have raised your issue with the development team, and we are trying to see how this can be addressed.

Thanks for reporting, and appreciate your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please get it changed back - it is very frustrating - I use it to give talks but cannot do so now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's absolutely not true - preparing 200 images takes several minutes even on a modern machine (6-core, 32GB, eGPU).  It looks like it's rendering them from scratch every time, and after the progress bar makes it to the full count, then we get a spinning beachball for another minute or so before the show starts.  This is a deal-breaking bug. I've downgraded Lightroom to two versions ago when it worked as expected, which then eliminates all the bug fixes for performance on the 16" MBP.   Fixing it should be simple - revert to the codebase that didn't have the bug! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just to be clear - I've generated standard and 1-1 previews in the library module, and in the slide show module, and there's is absolutely no difference in performance before or after doing so.  9.2.1 was the last version that worked.  Please just swap  out that code for the new code and give us a module that's functional again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repeating as suggested by @Todd_Shaner what I wrote in a separate thread:

Recognized this problem first with LRC version 9.3 on Window 10 and hopefully did update to 9.4, but there's still the same problem. Every time I press "Play" or "Preview" in the slide show module, LR is preparing all the pictures one by one and slow as usual as it is since LR 5.

It's like it doesn't cache the previews anymore. Cache is activated and may use up to 10 GB of space.

As it turns out, this is just happening with files in TIFF format (at least on version 9.4). Slide shows from raw files in RAF oder CR2 format are cached and processing happens just once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm it is also happening with JPEG files, but not with CR2 files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new version of Lightroom Classic downloaded today, but no progress on the slideshow issue! When will this be addressed and corrected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any word if the release today fixes it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And answering my own question - no, it doesn't.  And apparently there's no way to keep old versions of lightroom like there is for photoshop - boo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can install back to version 8.2.1 via the Creative Cloud App. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, but I can't have both installed side by side as I can with Photoshop.  I either have the old version with no fixes and features, and a usable slideshow module, or the new one with no usable slideshow.

The slideshow module in the new version is essentially useless.  You can't even do anything else while it's processing, as if the window doesn't have focus, the show starts/stops immediately and then you have to start the whole process over (which takes minutes).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Due to cross-version catalog compatibility between major versions, this is not possible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair point, but you could have two catalogs.

In any case, any idea a) why they broke the module, and b) when it'll be fixed?  We've been waiting several versions and months for a fix. 

I'm concerned that only 10 will be supported on Big Sur, at which point it's either upgrade and lose the slideshows, or don't upgrade and not be able to upgrade the OS.  But even the old version does work, that's still not a long-term fix, and asking/expecting customers to pay monthly and be unable to upgrade due to a major regression, isn't exactly kosher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*erwin_burgstaller Happens with JPG's too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just downloaded v10, and as feared nothing has changed on the slideshow issue. It still prepares previews every time, with the long resulting delay. Why are the previews not saved as before, so there is no delay after the first preparation? Why is no priority being given to fixing this basic problem? Adobe keeps issuing updates with obscure new features but won't fix a basic issue. Administrator, please convey my concerns to the people who have responsibility for Lightroom features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, Adobe doesn't seem to care about this issue.  I have the same problem on this end, and it's extremely annoying.  After being an Adobe customer since version 1 of Photoshop I am now looking for alternatives.  Adobe is a broken company that does NOT listen to it's customers.  Very sad for what was once a might powerhouse in the graphics arts industry.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I import  450 jpeg files (10-20 MB) and then create slideshow it takes about 3-4 minutes until the slideshow starts. If I then export these fotos as DNGs (10-20 MB) the creation of the same slideshow takes 2 seconds. In the former version of Lightroom Classic I had no problems with the creation of a slideshow (regardless the format jpeg, raw, DNG). I think a bug has entered the new version of Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is terribly annoying.  My files are mostly DNGs.  I have a very fast machine and it takes about a minute to prepare a 35 slide slide-show, even if I just played the show immediately before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've replicated your results and have a suspicion on the reason but I've forwarded to the Developers for comment. Please stand by. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your support

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding yet another cry for a fix for this bug.  As others have said, it's incredibly annoying and really hurts the usefulness of the Slideshow module.  A terrible regression in the product that should have been fixed with high priority.  Very disappointed to see it has been given no attention by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate