• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Have option to view/search Image Aspect Ratio (i.e. 1.5)

Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Library View/Loupe View should have option to view Image Aspect Ratio (i.e. 1.5).  Often when selecting images for use in publications created in Indesign and also for planning for print and framing, it is useful and in many cases critical to know the edited images aspect ratio.  This is a simple calculation with information aready captured and retained in Lightroom, namely Pixel Height/Pixel Width.   To be able to immediately view and identify Edited images of select aspect ratios and even better to search and sort by image aspect ratio should be an easy and very useful to Lightroom users focused on Printing and or creation of publications, which I imagine most everybody.  Please add this feature ASAP!  Thx!

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
12 Comments
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is 'aspect ratio' in lightroom 'orientation' in bridge?  And why cant I sort my images in Lightroom by numerical aspect ratios such as 4:3, 3:2, 1:1 etc?  For that matter, why can't I sort by CROPPED aspect ratio such as 4 x 5, 8 x 10, 5 x 7 etc?  Wouldn't this be incredibly useful for photographers?  Or am I missing something here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can sort photos by numeric cropped aspect ratio in Library by doing View > Sort > Aspect Ratio. 

It is indeed confusing that smart collections and the Library Filter bar use "aspect ratio" instead of "orientation".  As you've discovered, there is no way to use filters or smart collections to search numeric aspect ratio.

However, the plugins Data Explorer and Any Filter do let you search numeric aspect ratio (both original and cropped).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  Yeah I've been looking at that option within View > Sort > Aspect Ratio and struggling to find a way of selecting only my 4:3 images, for instance.  So that's not possible to do currently in Lightroom alone? 

I'll check out those plugins you recommend, cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been looking at that option within View > Sort > Aspect Ratio and struggling to find a way of selecting only my 4:3 images, for instance.  So that's not possible to do currently in Lightroom alone?

The best you can do is sort by numeric aspect ratio, scroll from the top, and then manually inspect the aspect ratios until you find the first and last ones that are 4:3.  Pretty inconvenient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean "aspect ratio" as a header in the Filter bar, IMO that would be better named simply "aspect" - or, perhaps "orientation".

BTW there's no technical difference between the aspect ratio that a crop has, and that of the original. We might click the "8 x 10" button in particular, but that gives the image no enduring property relatable to either "8", or "10". It is impossible AFAIK to tell after the fact, whether the "4 x 5" button might have been in fact clicked (same shape is produced, no significance for sizing).

The image doesn't remember its own aspect ratio in named terms. It just EXISTS with a (current) shape proportion.

Pictures can be sorted from the squarest rectangle shape, to the skinniest rectangle shape. Without reference to "8x10" or any other conventional SIZE. But I cannot just now think of any practical use case which this assists given that it ignores orientation. If one wanted to track which cropped images were set up for intended printing at 8" x 10" specific scaling, say, one might keyword that; and this keywording could include portrait / landscape. That would be filterable / could act as Smart Collection rule.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah a little inconvenient right enough. However Data Explorer worked a treat (thanks for that) and also find it strange that Bridge can look at the same folder and group aspect ratio's together for selection individually using filters so obviously the information is in there.  Come on Adobe!  )

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add your me-too vote and details of why you want this to the feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Add Custom Aspect Ratios to Smart Collections for ease to help organize photos | Photosho... (Adobe product developers don't participate in this forum.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The aspect ratios set by cropping in Lightroom should be available as a filter property / smart collection property.

So if the image is not cropped inside of  Lightroom, you get "Original", and in any other case the value you have set it to, including custom values. This should be easy to implement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fully agree it should be built-in to LR. While waiting for Adobe to implement it, you could use the Any Filter plugin:

johnrellis_0-1670283762893.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use @johnrellis 's Any Filter plugin to do this and a LOT more

https://johnrellis.com/lightroom/anyfilter.htm

Votes

Translate