• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Sort by more fields, sort by multiple fields

LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Metadata fields provide an opportunity to liberate us from the difficulties of using the file system (filenames and directories) for sorting and searching. The Lightroom sort options should take advantage of this. I would particularly like to sort on the Title and Caption fields, and to use multiple sort criteria, as in Sort by Title and then by Capture Time.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Agreed.  It's trivial to add more sorting options.

As a less-convenient workaround while waiting for Adobe to implement this long-requested ability, you can use the Any Filter plugin's Sort command.

Votes

Translate

Translate
56 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround for this lack of functionality, the List View plugin will let you sort lists of photos by multiple fields: http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2016 May 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorting
Having just switched to LR from iMatch (from PC to Mac) I was shocked and horrified to find LR cannot even do elementary sorting on (extended) IPTC fields. My shoots are of things that are presented in a particular order which may be significant (or not). These shoots can run into hundreds and sometimes even more than a thousand images; they are also spread out over time. I encode my objects using location conventions that are readily understood by others working in the same field (art history) and in order to tag this data and interpret it properly I need to be able to look at it in order. I would have thought this is pretty elementary but I have just learned that LR can only sort on fields that are of no interest to me at all (and somewhat superfluous in that files can be given names based on date and time). Ideally I would be able to sort on:
LocationCreated/Country
LocationCreated/City
LocationCreated/Sublocation
LocationShown/Sublocation (for location code)
Additionally, it would be very useful to be able to combine such sorts with one or more (hierarchical) keywords. In my case those that identify the object by type, because the same location can have different types of objects.

Since all of this info is already part of the database I find it incomprehensible that it cannot be put to good use. PLEASE implement decent sorting routines soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to add an additional sort feature to sort on megapixel size

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that it would be good if LR let you sort on additional criteria.  

If your ultimate goal is to identify pics that are too small or too large, you can use smart collections with the Megapixels criterion, e.g.

Megapixels < 3.0

A couple of other plugins provide a little more flexibility in filtering by megapixels, but if you want to produce a collection that is correctly sorted by megapixels (cropped or uncropped), see the Data Explorer plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR current allows sorting of images by a single criterion, such as ordering by 'capture time' or 'filename' or 'rating'.

What happens if multiple photos have the same sort value, eg., rating? How are photos of the same sort value then 'sub-sorted'?

Typically this is handled by allowing multiple levels of sorting (eg., as Microsoft Excel does).

This would be even more valuable if LR supported sorting by any metadata field, eg., by title or GPS latitude or keyword-value (keyword-value pairs were supported, which I'll post separately as an idea).

Note that this could be implemented even in the current single-sorting-level paradigm by allowing sorting on values (-, 0, +) provided by user-defined scripts that would have read access to metadata. (The idea of supporting user-defined sort scripts was posted separately earlier.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to sort in Library by a metadata field that isn't offered in the Sort menu. Rather than asking for my favourite-of-the-day field to be added to the Sort, why not add the ability to sort by any metadata field, similar to the way LR allows filtering by any metadata field?

And/or, what about allowing sorting by a user-defined (via script?) function?

And/or by a user-provided query string.

(Extensibility makes products great/greater.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sort by functionality in ligthroom is very limited and when exporting web libraries the order of the web library is dictated by the sort order in lightroom, hence managing large libraries that need to be regularly exported for web is very cumbersome...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot multiple exposure, and in LR, I will choose 3,4,5,6 exposures to combine to make one image. I'd really like to be able to sort my stacks by number of images in each stack

I'm sure I'm not the only person who does this, and it would really be a very useful time saving sort option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we get the ability to sort photos by dimentions in Lightroom CC. I'm using photos for a video presentation and need photos large enough to allow zooming in to show features. This is avaiable in Photoshop Bridge, but Lightroom is far more efficient at this. In the past, I believe that you've wanted to induce folks to buy photoshop, but now anyone with Lightroom CC also has photoshop anyway so no reason to cripple lightroom CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to sort my images by TITLE. Can this be done in Lightroom 4.4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature Request: Please add the ability to sort by Copy Name. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR4 :I 'd like to sort out pictures by the gps tag or by location, directly in the library module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luc, nothing will be done with Lightroom 4 which has long finished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luc posted his reply 4 years ago, but it was just merged with this topic. Unfortunately, the Get Satisfaction software doesn't show the original date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a bug!!! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2016 Jul 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorting grid images by their titles or captions would go a long way to allowing flexible arrangement of images for varied destinations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2016 Jul 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the List View and Data Explorer plugins -- they're a little less convenient but can get the job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding to the chorus here: sorting by File Size. 
I switched over from Aperture, and was really disappointed to discover I can no longer do this basic search. 

If the data is available, it should be usable as a search/sort/smart criteria.

Lightroom is ultimately a database of photos with the ability to edit...so making that fully functional in the database side is crucial. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with this.
When I create HDRs out of pictures in a collection they are now added at the bottom of the collection instead of being sorted in within the other pictures. (The created date is even written in the new created file)

No big deal to implement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to have been wanted for a long time. When will we be able to do a simple sort by title???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah, can you perhaps explain to the engineers how that would benefit your workflow? As you can imagine, there's a lot of prioritization that goes on, and really compelling workflow reasons do help give a request extra weight. You might also like to try to plug-ins mentioned above, as they can already sort by title for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick Google shows that this has been a request on many forums since at least 2010. I'm not asking for new code - the sort algorithms are already there, just add an extra option to the menu.
In my case, I have a collection of images and I need to print a contact sheet in alphabetical order by title. Obviously, I have the title in the title field, so need to be able to sort on that. At present, I have to do this manually. I shouldn't have to pay a third-party for a plugin to add what should be standard functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This ould make my wedding workflow SO much faster: I add keywords like "1-Prep, 2-Ceremony" etc... then view them in the order I want the categories to be in, then rename.  With multiple cameras and shooters, we shoot details throughout the day, but I don't want my clients and guests to be viewing portraits of the couple, then random table details.  I need them all in categories to present.  YES, I can make label texts, but it would be so much faster with a keyword I can add, then rename and number, then remove if need be.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really frustrated by the low range of options available for reorder photos in catalog and collections. Please add the possibility to reorder by Title and/or by Copy Name in order to create automatic custom orders without renaming the file or dragging up and down photos. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I sort a mountain of images into say 1:1, 3:2, 4:5 and custom aspect ratios in Lightroom ? (Can only find a filter by orientation and cropped dimensions).

Is there a plugin that would even tack this information onto the filename ?

~ John

Votes

Translate

Translate