• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support cataloging PSB files

Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2011 Aug 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom should catalog psb files, just as it does psd files. I have many psb files that are not over the 65,000 pixels per side or 512 megapixel limits, but are larger than the 4GB limit on psd files, and it would be nice to see them in Lightroom.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020
Updates to Lightroom Classic, were released yesterday and contain initial support for PSB files.   Please install the appropriate update. You can read more about the updates here.

Note: Lightroom pixel-dimension maximums (65,000 Pixels long edge or 512 MP - whichever comes first) continue to be a limitation but the team is looking into expanding this range in a future enhancement for the PSB file support. 

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback.
We are working on making these improvements for future releases of Adobe Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 267 Replies 267
267 Comments
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add my support for Lightroom at least CATALOGING PSB files... Even if you are not able to work on them in the develop module... I would at least like to know that they file is sitting there in my collection.. I forgot that a file I had been working on was a PSB and even though I created a psd for it to show up in Lightroom I had forgotten that it was a PSB and thought I had inadvertently flattened it at some point (while changing color space for delivery - the default - stupid - but that is ANOTHER topic) so spent the last hour tracking down a layered file that I already was in possession of!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. See my post a few messages above about a plugin-based workaround. Not as good as having it builtin, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the anyfile Lightroom plugin and the psb thumbnail plugin make a great combination, and have made cataloging psb files much easier for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently the psb thumbnail plugin is MAC only....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a Windows-equivalent plugin:

http://www.ardfry.com/psd-codec/

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2015 Mar 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the soon to be released 50 Megapixel Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R, Adobe will have wake up as file sizes get much bigger. There will be a more compelling argument to include PSB in Lightroom (even if its just for cataloging). I really hope they add this with Lightroom 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC\6 was released with zero support for PSB.Its just odd that Bridge can view PSD but Adobe cant implement this in LR even at just a viewing level without the development module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't care if I cannot edit the file. I just want to see it in LR for cataloging purposes.
I haven't touched bridge since i am into LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2015 Jun 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2015 is here, yet no sign or care from Adobe to support PSB in Lightroom. I guess their polls indicated that users wanted Dehaze instead of PSB support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom doesn't support .psb files. This is really stupid as it is an adobe file format. Please fix this ASAP. It is really easy to get over the 2GB limit with a simple panorama and some adjustment layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can go up to 4Gb if you save the files as TIF, which Lr will recognise

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That isn't the point. I also have photos that have gone WAY over 4GB. There is no reason lightroom shouldn't have some way to catalog psb files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's called shifting the goalposts. I addressed your specific issue with 2Gb limits - use TIF rather than PSD - but on the wider issue I have always advocated that Lr should catalogue all file types.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does tff support saving with the layers? Do I lose any information that would otherwise be preserved with a psb file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, TIFF supports layers and you lose nothing expect perhaps some compatibility working in say InDesign which should be fixed to support TIFF like other Adobe app's.
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if you put it that way, yes, Dehaze is vastly more important for me and I suspect many Adobe customers than support for PSB in the database. Not to put the cart before the horse but rendering the raw is the most critical functionality, PSB is only pertinent if and when you've rendered that raw and produced a huge rendered file with presumably layers or Smart Objects.
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't care if I can edit it or not in LR,.. I just want to see it! that's all.
Why invent a file-format without supporting it.

yes I know I am starting to sound like a broken record. to me this is very important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature request: This note is to encourage Adobe to expand the size limitations of panoramas in Lightroom CC. I understand that this limit is a maximum long dimension of 65,000 pixels or a maximum pixel count of 512 megapixels. Such a limit makes it impossible to obtain wide angle panoramas with long focal length lenses to obtain extremely high resolution. For example, a 100 mm lens on a 24mm x 36mm sensor turned to vertical orientation (24mm wide) requires approximately (ideally) 26 frames to make a 360 degree panorama. If a 50 megapixel camera is used (e.g. Canon 5DS), this image will be approximately 150,000 pixels wide or almost three times the present limit. It will also have approximately 1300 megapixels, again roughly three times the present limit. This means that a Canon 5DS cannot be used to make even a 180 degree panorama using a 100mm lens in the vertical orientation. Another use for panorama is very high resolution art reproduction using panorama to merge a mosaic of separate images of one artwork. The size limit constrains what can be done to a significant degree. Panorama creation in Lightroom CC is fantastic because it is easy and results in a RAW image. But the present size limit is a real constraint! My recommendation would be to quadruple the linear dimension and make the pixel limit ~10 times as great. One additional point: When too many pictures to merge are selected, Lightroom should return a statement "Panorama is too large - limit is a maximum long dimension of 65,000 pixels or a maximum pixel count of 512 megapixels" instead of some thing like "Panorama failed - try a different projection". This would save many people a lot of time. It took me several hours of experimentation and finally a Google query to figure out what the problem/limitation was. Thank you for your attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please Adobe, support psb files in LR. I'd even accept limited functionality (no develop module, say) as a temporary solution just so I can have the huge master layered files in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if only we could see the file and open it into photoshop from LR, that would be a HUGE benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am shocked if it is true that Lightroom won't catalog psb files. I dragged a number of them onto a catalog, and the message was "No photos found". If true, this is inexcusable. Perhaps I am confused?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you are not confused... we are just confused why Adobe has not addressed this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merging to another topic.

Please reference the new conversation here: Size Limitations in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, even that limited functionality would be enormously helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a shame they doesn't support their own format..!

With the bigger sized photos in MegaPixels (as the Sony a7R II that I use), all my non-destructive files are weighting more than 4 GB. They put infront of the line that non-destructive function bu aren't able to provide compatibility in between their own softwares -_-

I'm then stuck with these files only managed in the Finder and can lose track of them..

Am thinking about going with another solution really..

Votes

Translate

Translate