• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support cataloging PSB files

Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2011 Aug 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom should catalog psb files, just as it does psd files. I have many psb files that are not over the 65,000 pixels per side or 512 megapixel limits, but are larger than the 4GB limit on psd files, and it would be nice to see them in Lightroom.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020
Updates to Lightroom Classic, were released yesterday and contain initial support for PSB files.   Please install the appropriate update. You can read more about the updates here.

Note: Lightroom pixel-dimension maximums (65,000 Pixels long edge or 512 MP - whichever comes first) continue to be a limitation but the team is looking into expanding this range in a future enhancement for the PSB file support. 

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback.
We are working on making these improvements for future releases of Adobe Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 267 Replies 267
267 Comments
Engaged ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NICE writeup man! I'd like to advocate going well beyond those dimensions. I have hundreds of 1000-4000 MP files which I sell as acrylic prints 96"+ wide online as a business. I just semi-completed a recent shot that is 26GB.

As a professional using this professional software, I'd really like Adobe to weigh in here.
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there are more users like you in recent years. I think increasing the pixel limits, however, could be significantly harder engineering than allowing for PSBs, since the performance of the Camera Raw engine is directly proportional to the number of pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, and that's frustrating since I keep investing $5000 in hardware ever few years. I'm sitting here with a massive computer that laughs at LR/PS requests. I know it's malicious, but it feels like these apps are 10% efficient....  It's been a while, but I do remember seeing GPU demosaicing research using CUDA. Related, I can pull in 40 NEF files from my D850 to PS and it takes an hour to output a result. PTGUI takes <5 minutes using my GPU.
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Transparency Grid" is not the answer to my initial post.

See the attached photo for the missing options in 2019 which are affecting my "surround" color when previewing the images.

It used to be independent of the interface shade options.

Now, in 2019, it is wholly dependent on the interface shading, so that one cannot choose a light interface, and still get a dark gray or a black surround during preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge CC (v9) does not allow you to view images on pure black or white background (RGB 0, 0, 0 or 255, 255, 255). I work for a large retailer's ecom department and our site, like most websites, are still using white backgrounds. Being able to see our images on white before they go live is the quickest, easiest way to evaluate the consistency of background values in our ecom images. Even if a website is using a different background color, it is highly advantageous to be able to customize the Image Backdrop (as it was called in Bridge v8). I was hoping the interface customization options would expand, not decrease, in the Bridge v9 release. Adobe, please make Bridge more like Photoshop, and allow the user to change the image backdrop so creative professionals can tailor your tools to support our wide variety of creative assignments.

BAD:

BETTER:

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree completely. I have needed to revert back to Bridge v8 for custom background selection for all my prepress work for this very reason that interface customization options have decreased, not expanded. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please insert this function back. i need to verify a lot white background photos on a white thumbnail background

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You realize that you can't actually see whether a background is pure 255?
Open a file with a white background in Photoshop. Add a Levels adjustment layer and drag the black slider all the way to the left. Duplicate. Now look at 100%.
Anything not pure white will be obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

? Yeah you can. If the background is actually 255 white, then the subject in the image (model, product, etc.) will just be floating on the image backdrop area of Bridge. The fact that you cannot set the image backdrop to be 255 white in Bridge v9.x is the problem. No one wants to open all their images in PS to verify that the subject is on a ground of 255 white. I mean, my studio only runs 3 on-model bays 3-4 days a week and I still have to review ~1500 selects before I pass to retouching. I can't imagine having to open that many files in PS just to look at them on a white image backdrop to make sure the white in each individual file is good. That's why I still have all the computers in my studio running Bridge v8.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do product photography for a living and you can't rely on looking at the image against a Bridge window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

everyone has his methods, thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not arguing that we need a better UI. Just the given reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing your feedback.
We are working on making these improvements for future releases of Adobe Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah adobe why would you take out the most important function of your software. rule number one of software development NEVER TAKE ANYTHING OUT ONLY ADD THINGS!

editing concert photos REQUIRES you to have a black background not only the full screen preview but also the interface itself to be black. my interface has been set on black for 15 years. and now i get a new computer and new version of bridge and you take that BASIC FUNCTIONALITY out?. why would you take out the number one functional element of your software? arent you photographers (rolls eyes really really hard so much it hurts).

put it back in NOW. like TODAY 2-25-2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm I'm a working professional photographer and can't stand a black interface. :shrug:

They did botch the UI change but I'm not sure that a black background is the number one feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the new bridge 2019 you can no longer change the background color behind thumbnails, I work with many images that have white or very light grey backgrounds. Having a white background behind them is crucial to discern if their color fill layer is missing. Please bring this option back! Changing the color theme is not meeting my needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a daily user of Adobe Bridge as an image editor and retoucher, one thing we look for is ensuring our images on white are fully on white (ie. no particles or lines around the border of an image). Older versions of bridge allowed the changing of background colour while in filmstrip view and this allowed us to change the background from black to grey to full white. Please reimplement this feature into the newer versions of Bridge CC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely the 2GB limit is an older hardware limit? I was working with a large PSD in PS and I pasted in a small item to overlay and it doubled the size of the PSD. What's going on there? PSD is not keeping track of layer data and then using instructions to recombine? I can save it all in PSB but >> then I can't work it in the raw converter nor Lightroom which has vastly superior image adjustment options. I want to know when PS and LR will be useful again for me. My company builds and prints very large panoramic prints. 

[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Let me work on PSD that are > 2GB"

The PSD file format inherently limits the maximum file size to 2 GB, because it uses 32-bit integers to represent offsets within the file (2^31 ~ 2.15 GB). The only way to increase that limit is to use larger integers in the file format, which is precisely the PSB file format.  Thus, to handle Photoshop files larger than 4 GB, LR needs to be able to read PSBs, which is a very modest amount of engineering.

For files of size between 2 GB and 4 GB, saving in TIFF format works well, and LR can read and edit those TIFFs. But obivously, it would be better if you could just use PSB format in all Adobe programs and not worry about file sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I pasted in a small item to overlay and it doubled the size of the PSD. What's going on there? PSD is not keeping track of layer data and then using instructions to recombine?"

This is best posted as a separate topic in the Photoshop category. When multiple feature requests are combined in one topic, Adobe and other users tend to miss them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to add another take to this, I've been scanning hi-res images and three or four images into this the maximum for tif becomes 2.4? Not even near 4 gb. So I wind up here with asking for Adobe products to support Adobe file formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Adobe create a new version of the psb format that contains a preview so that LR does not have to build it on the fly, allowing them to overcome the issues with displaying them in LR catalogues even if they still needed to be edited in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PSB format is identical to the PSD format, except that it allows for larger file sizes. Both formats already contain such a preview, the so-called "compatibility layer", which is a composite of all the visible layers. LR uses the compatibility layer to build the catalog previews of PSDs.  The engineering effort to do the same for PSBs is minimal -- see here for more details: 
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_support_cataloging_psb_files?topic-...

Votes

Translate

Translate