• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support cataloging PSB files

Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2011 Aug 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom should catalog psb files, just as it does psd files. I have many psb files that are not over the 65,000 pixels per side or 512 megapixel limits, but are larger than the 4GB limit on psd files, and it would be nice to see them in Lightroom.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020
Updates to Lightroom Classic, were released yesterday and contain initial support for PSB files.   Please install the appropriate update. You can read more about the updates here.

Note: Lightroom pixel-dimension maximums (65,000 Pixels long edge or 512 MP - whichever comes first) continue to be a limitation but the team is looking into expanding this range in a future enhancement for the PSB file support. 

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback.
We are working on making these improvements for future releases of Adobe Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 267 Replies 267
267 Comments
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original request was 8 years ago to ask Adobe to support their own format in Lightroom. Like many other photographers I run into the size limit often when using a high megapixel camera and doing focus stacking, exposure blending in Photoshop.

ON1 has no problems working with PSB files and I am having to consider switching products.

I wish Adobe would make it a priority, add this request to the just do it list and release support for PSB with the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The truth is, we threaten we are going to switch, but not enough people actually do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed I had replied to this thread but not voted as my original post had been merged with this thread. Wonder if there are others who haven't voted too?

If this thread had more votes maybe Adobe would increase the priority of implementing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More votes always help to get Adobe's attention (of course, votes are just one factor among many in Adobe's decision-making). But note that this request, with 155 votes, is already very popular, the 13th most popular unimplemented feature request. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. In the search box for this forum, search for "lightroom".

2. In the search results page, click on Advanced Search.

3. In the search box, delete "lightroom" and set these exact settings:

4. Click Search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried posting this thread to other Lightroom forums and tweeting the link as well. We should all trying get this thread in front of as many people as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if only Russian trolls used PSB this issue would be the #1 issue and be fixed by now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 years?!? Come on Adobe, support your files already..... please 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it helps, as a stopgap, I have been using a "link' method to edit the PSB file in LR by creating a single-layer TIFF with linked PSB. Any changes to PSB get passed to the TIFF. There's a youtube video on the process. 
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 09, 2019 Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for having started this thread. -  But isn't it instead of "should" much more a complaint "Why does Lightroom Classic (I never work with the other one) not catalog PSB files?" - Incompatible within their own environment... It's completely incomprehensible to me. - Honi soit qui mal y pense...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 years......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 22, 2019 Jun 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, same like the preview for the Radial and Zoom blur filter. Once found somewhere a complaint on this dated 2004. That's really quick offering solutions on customer enhancement requests and a perfect demonstration of Adobe's amazing customer awareness (may contains sarcasm). I apply that filter in Affinity Photo. Way more convenient. In Photoshop you must still guess the center and do the try and error game utillising a smart object. Just compare, 1. is Ps CC 2019, 2. is Affinity Photo 1.7.x (but it was already there in all prior version):

Ps CC 2019, tool in cool A.D. 1997 or so style

Affinity Photo's tool. 40 bucks, no subscription. As long you don't click Apply, you can move the centre anywhere without any latency. It's one of the very rare destructive filters of AP, so, make a layer copy first. However: because mostly there is a detail you do not want to have blurred in the centre, you normally mask it on a separate layer anyway:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 22, 2019 Jun 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, first posting did only show up empty text, because the forum software does not accept emojis and rejects all content... Now text and example images are in...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 Months and still no movement on this? Maybe we can get it back in Bridge '20...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I use PSB files within LR CC? Currently I convert them to TIFF and import this to LR. It is strange to me that Adobe doesn't support its own image file format in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a way. Hit up youtube for the walkthrough. You can open the PSB in PS, then do some sort of export as reference to a PSD single-layer then import that to LR and all changes you make to the PSB in PS will be propagated to that PSD. 
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2019 Jun 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe!!!! - It is ridiculous and insulting to photographers that Lightroom Classic does not support your own "psb" file format!!! Shame on you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes indeed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need PSB support or a different solution for LR...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is getting embarrassing for a company like adobe... it has been ages and modern cameras hit the limit so easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but while it seems like an easy fix, I think it would take some considerable re-coding to expand the variables to allow PSB. That's the roadblock. Maybe something like LR9 will have it? For now, there is a workaround if you absolutely need LR editing of a PSB using "Linked Smart Objects"
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and yet Adobe seem to have the resources to create a whole other version of LR no one really asked for!!! I think that the Photoshop format is seriously outdated anyhow. Right now the slowest part of my workflow is saving Photoshop files in either PSD or TIFF files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the complex recoding argument falls down after 8 years, which is now the age of this request. PSB is after all Adobe's own file format and , as Christopher says, modern cameras hit the limit easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4GB? Easily? I do hit it but with 20-image pani stitches. Not “easy”. But I’m onboard with psb in LR
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amit - speed it up by unchecking psd compression. It’s 10x faster without.... if you have the disk space.
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate