• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to "print"photos with filenames as captions to PDF?

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there suggestions, links, etc on how to do something like this?

I have Creative Cloud, but so far have only used Photoshop, so forgive me if this is too newbie.

Someone suggested Lightroom might be a way to do this. However, if there is a Windows 10 or other simpler way to do it I would be glad to hear of that.

My Creative Cloud has 3 version of Lightroom. If Lightroom is the tool which should I try?

Lightroom CC

Lightroom Classic CC

Lightroom CC (2015)

I have a set of photos of seniors in a facility.  The file names are the names and room numbers. e.g.,

PUBLIC, John Q. (Bubba) 123A.jpg

DOE, Joan 456C.jpg

SMITH, William S. (Bill) 341B.jpg

WASHINGTON, George (G.W.) 321D.jpg

The goal is to print a set of the photos 1 time to verify that the picture, name, and room are correct.

I would like to print 12 (or so) photos  to a 8.5 * 11 page with the filename as the caption. (could live the whole path as caption if need be.)

There is not a printer with color ink on my computer, so I want to "print" to CutePDF so a document can be printed on a friend's computer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

This is quite simple to do in Lightroom Classic using the slideshow module. Choose text overlay. Lightroom will pull the filenames from the metadata fields. Then simply export a batch to PDF.

Overlays.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create contact sheets using scripts or the Bridge preview functions.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Lightroom CC​

[Moved again to Lightroom Classic - mod]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you.

Are there links etc, that would help me get started with this task?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest way is to use LR's Print feature.

There is a template called 4x5 contact sheet which puts the filename under the thumbnail. In the Photo Info box, choose Edit and then you can add other fields (that's the Text Template Editor in this screenshot).

One little trick is to use Ctrl J on Windows, Cmd J on Mac to insert a line break.

SNAG-0000.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick thanks for the 'ctrl+j' trick! I'd been looking for a way to do this for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I' thought I'd try this out thanks John, but I cant get the line break to work.

Captioning.png

Cmd J does not force a line break, which I presume you do inside the Text template Editor window.

I've tried entering text as in your previous attachment also but no joy either.

I'm using LR 9.2.1 on High Sierra .  .  .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tony, The [Ctrl+J] was a new learning suggestion to me, and a test just now works for me in Windows & Lr-Classic 9.2.1-

I use the Print module, In Page Setup I selected 'Print to PDF' (The Slideshow module is not needed)

(I believe that Mac OS has PDF as an option in a Printer dialog. Windows-10 has a "Microsoft Print to PDF" option. I used a PrimoPDF as the 'Printer')

ScreenShot020.jpgScreenShot021.jpgScreenShot022.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks WC for that extra clarification on Preset editing.

I was using the Print Moduule to test that shortcut, but just to confirm a negative result again on my Mac.

I really like how the examples above could force those line breaks under thumbnails ! But not for me 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you defining the Preset for [Photo Info] in the Print module 'Page' panel?- [Edit]

ScreenShot023.jpg

My workflow is- [Edit] from the Photo Info Preset Drop-down menu-

Add the first line info-

ScreenShot024.jpg

then [Ctrl+J] puts my (text) cursor on the next line-

ScreenShot025.jpg

Then add the additional info- and 'Save' the preset.

ScreenShot026.jpg

If still impossible for you it must be a Windows/Mac difference.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is quite simple to do in Lightroom Classic using the slideshow module. Choose text overlay. Lightroom will pull the filenames from the metadata fields. Then simply export a batch to PDF.

Overlays.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines