This will fail

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Android , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
33 Comments
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will depend on other settings....check the Lightroom settings>Cloud Storage & Sync tab to make sure that "Only Download Smart Previews" is NOT enabled. If it IS enabled, then "Store Locally" will only download Smart Previews for the images in that album.

But even if you only have Smart Previews, the export should still work without a network connection provided that, in the export settings for the export type you are using, the "Dimension" field is set to less than 2560px....so either use "Small (2048 px)" or "Custom" and choose 2560px or lower. If it's set to "Largest Available Dimensions" and you only have a Smart Preview stored locally, then yes the export will fail when the network is unavailable (assuming the cropped diemnsions of the image exceed 2560px on the long edge).

If you tap on the cloud icon next to the Share icon, the app will tell you what you have stored locally, i.e. either Original or Smart Preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Those ARE smart previews as coming from Classic, not cloudy. I've set it the setting to "largest available" in order not to have to worry about dimension and JPEG quality at 100%. So this shouldn't be an issue.

I've tried with 2048px and it also fails, it's definitely a bug! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I assumed you were working with original files in the cloud. So testing again using smart previews synced from Classic, I agree that there appears to be a bug with the "Largest Available Dimensions" setting, as that should simply export at the 2560px long edge of the Smart Preview....but it doesn't, as it reports the file is not synced. However if I use the Custom option, and increase the long edge above 2560 px (I was using 4000 px in my tests), then exporting with the network offline does in fact work, i.e. the export is up-sized accordingly. "Small" also works when I'm offline, so I'm not sure why that doesn't work for you (suggest you verify that you definiely have the smart preview stored locally).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can see it in the video: stored locally checked and the blue check on the album indicating it's sotred locally. I can also edit the file normally, meaning the file is there. It's really a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree when using "Largest Available Dimensions", but cannot see any problem when exporting a locally stored smart preview when using either the "Small" or "Custom" options. I've tried different images and different export types (e.g. Save As, Export to Camera Roll, Export as...), different devices (iPhone and iPad) and they all work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fails even with small:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried everything I can think of to reproduce that problem with the "Small" export, but whatever I try works as expected. Which may just make it more difficult for Adobe to figure it out....it'll depend on their ability to recreate it on their own devices. The fact that we are seeing different results may even be related to the type of iPad and the iOS version...I was using an iPad Mini running iOS 12.4.3, and an iPhone 8+ running iOS 13.3.

The only thing you didn't show on that video is checking the status of the selected image prior to trying the export (I agree that the blue badge on the album should guarantee that the smart preview is stored locally, but it does no harm to check the individual file).

And I assume you tried different images and different export methods, e.g. Export to Camera Roll, with the same result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All seems ok.
And anyway, if I download locally, I don't need to check everything before I enter a plane. Having thos kind of bugs is what makes LR a pain to use on a daily basis. It never works as expected...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve tried wit another album, another camera and lens, dimensions small and max available and I could never export an image, so issue is reproductible.
padOS: 13.3.1
LR: 5.1.0 93E03A

I’d like to see an official response (Rikk?) and see this post flagged as acknowledged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here is an semi-official response, Antoine. My results agree with Jim's. 
  • Raw files (Canon 5D Mark IV) synced from Lightroom Classic as Smart Previews.
  • iPad album set to store locally and synced. 
  • Wifi is disabled
I am able to share/export as Small (2048px) and as Custom where Long Side is ≤ 2560. 

I also am not able to reproduce what you are seeing. 

Did I miss any steps here?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what about "max available" ? Have you seen the screen recordings ? Am I missing something, doing something wrong or should I test something else ?

Here is a summary of my tests on iPad:
* Small (2048) --> fails
* Max available --> fails
* Custom 1024 --> works
* Custom 1025 --> fails
* Custom 2048 --> fails
* Custom 2560 --> fails

It looks like its fails above 1024 in custom and always in max available at small. (the original image is 7952 x 5304, by the way)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity I downloaded a sample raw from the A7R III, which is possibly your model of camera? Anyway, the resolution is the same 7952 x 5304. Running the same offline tests the export/share operation seemed a little longer compared to the files I was using (which in theory shouldn't matter as the smart previews all have the same long edge dimension), and it was sufficiently slower for me to see an error message briefly appear: "Unable to export (or share) while offline". If exporting to Camera Roll or Files, that message is almost immediately replaced by the blue "1 photo successfully exported" message, and if using "Share To..." the message is replaced by the share destinations dialog. But in all cases, the export/share does indeed work despite the error message.

Checking back, that error message is probably always produced, it's just not so noticeable as the operation using my own image files is quicker for some reason, meaning the error message is gone in an instant....but I should have noticed it sooner than I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I'm using an A7R III, but as you mentioned, as those are smart previews, it shouldn't have an impact.
So I tried to give it some time, and indeed, the blue message disappears, but the "failed to load the image" remains.

Of course, when online (Wifi enabled), everythings works as expected. Therefore, I assume there must be some kind of sync issue between Classic, cloud and mobile. Sync has been very unreliable...

By the way (but I don't think it's related), I've noticed on LR web the file size is limited to 2048 and not 2560. Not that it makes a huge difference, but still strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking a bit more about your earlier post, I wonder if the clue might be the fact that exporting at 1024 works, but nothing larger does. I'm only speculating, but it may be that your local Lightroom app does not, in fact, have the smart previews downloaded (even though it indicates that it has).....so in that case all that would be available on the iPad would be the "local preview" which is used for general browsing. I don't know for sure the size of those local previews, though I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that they are 1024 px on the long edge. So that export would work, but anything larger wouldn't.

Again, it's just speculation....but in your situation I'd certainly be trying to turn off the "store album locally" option for that album, then clearing the cache for the same album (and maybe also using the global Clear Cache option from the Local Storage tab in Settings), then trying again. If none of that worked, I'd delete the app completely (first making sure that there were no locally imported images which hadn't synced up to the cloud) and then re-install it. I've had to do that delete/re-install a couple of times in the past to clear up unexpected and difficult to fix issues....

Yes, the LR Web app only downloads at 2048 px when only smart previews are available in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with your analysis.

1. Unchacking "store locally", clear cache and re-check store locally: I had already done it and didn't help
  2. Same but with clearing cache on app level
  3. Clear app : same --> fails

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's disappointing, I had hoped the re-install would have resolved the issue. Do you have another iDevice available that you could try, e.g. a smartphone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do and it’s very interesting!
There is (another) sync bug!!

On web, everything is there:

On iPad too:

But on iPhones, album is empty!

Note that everything is synced correctly!

So this looks like yet another sync issue ?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the All Photos totals agree between the iPad and iPhone? If so, try creating a new album and adding those 8 photos to it to see if that change syncs. If the All Photos totals do not agree, then I'd guess Adobe will need to look at your account to see if they can find a cause for the syncing anomaly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Syncing has always been buggy between Classic and cloud. The number of sync images does not match: LR, iPad and web has exactly the same amount of images (excepted for a couple of videos, because they are not synced) but iPhone has MORE images, despite being the device where the images in that album are missing.

This is madness and I’m extremely careful to sort my images very carefully: the only raws reaching my iPad are in a well separated folder and once synced in Classic, removed (from the cloud) before synced back as smart previews. I always check my storage quota to make sure I haven’t left any raws in the cloud AS THERE IS STILL NO FILTER FOR THIS (yes, I’m mad about this omissions bug!).

I’ll delete the iPhone app and sync it again to see what happens...
But apart from being one more example of buggy sync, this still doesn’t explain the export bug.

Thanks Jim, by the way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reinstalling LR on my phone, they show the same amount of images. Back to square one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry....does that mean "the same number of images that was showing before deleting and reinstalling the iPhone app", or does it mean "the same number of images as Lr Web and Lr Desktop and the iPad". I assume you mean the first, in which case I'm out of ideas and I think you'll need to wait for Rikk to get back to you. It does sound as though something isn't right syncing-wise with your account.

Regarding the filter for originals in the cloud, the Sync Status option on the Lr Desktop's Filter Bar will give you some of that information, i.e. it will allow you to filter on the "Synced and Backed Up" category, which really means "originals which have been uploaded (and backed up) and which now count against your cloud storage allocation". It won't, however, give you the total megabyte count.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, same number through all the apps, so reinstalling Lr on the phone helped. My bad, my reply wasn’t clear at all.
But still, I can’t explain why both devices claimed to be “synced” wile they were not. Also, the previously wrongly empty collection is now synced correctly.

Are you talking about “cloudy” desktop? If yes, that’d be, at least to my knowledge, the only option to check this, but seeing how buggy sync already is, their is no way I’m going to throw another app into the equation. One a don’t care about and won’t use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, if the iPhone is now correct, how about trying to download the smart previews for that album and then trying the offline export again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On iPhone :
Max available : still fails
Small (2048): works
Custom 2651 (!) : works
Custom 5000 : works