• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(iOS) : Save on original file

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom on a daily basis on my iPhone 14 pro, and its a truly beautiful piece of software, very useful for any photographer.

But, i'm currently lacking a huge feature that would probably ease my workflow a lot: what about addding a save on original file (just like do some other photo app) so that we keep the "original" version, and allow at any time to rollback, change our settings or whatever?

Instead, at the moment, i've to save as another file (generaly a JPG file), creating doubles and thus poluting my ios photos library.

TOPICS
iOS: iPhone

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about virtual copies? I'm not sure of your workflow - you edit your images in LR, then save them back to the camera roll and you want it to overwrite the original image in your camera roll? I think that would be an ios thing. Why do you need to save them back to your ios library? You can share them directly from LR - send them or create an album to share. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Melissa, thank you for your answer !

yes, basically iOS allow to "overwrite" the image you edit, creating some kind of virtual copy of your image.

it keep the original version in the file itself (I presume). Just like it does when you use photo app to edit your photo. 

fornexample Darkroom or Raw power apps allow this. It makes much more sense since you never keep 2 files (let's say the original and the exported one)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "Save" option in any Lightroom app, for the simple reason that Lightroom is a "non-destructive" editor. That basically means that the original image remains unchanged, and any edits you make are simply parameter changes which are recorded in the catalog and used to update the preview of the image that you see. At any time you can revert to the original, and now even better you have the "Versions" feature which allows you to create and name multiple versions of the image as you progress through the editing. All these "versions" are simply catalog entries which can be selected to be used as the current view of the image, so you can easily switch between multiple views of the same edited original photo. 

There is simply no need to continue to export multiple iterations of the same file, unless you need to have an exported image available outside Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Jim. 

I fully get your pint and the overall philosophy of LR but that said, on mobile it could make sense to avoid library duplication (photos app and Lightroom).

instead of "save" it could be added in export option. Again the good news is that you can at any time get back to the original version of your image.

at the moment, I don't want to loose my raw source file (in photo app) and thus I'm creating a lot of duplicates.

i would really love to have an option to better integrate to the virtual copy of apple photo app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines