Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No longer able to edit image without importing first

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

App Version: V. 7.4.2 4B1BE3/48

Additional: I have no images or videos, as the behaviour I was used to vanished after I reinstalled Lightroom, so I had no reason to save screenshots etc...

To me this is a bug, how I have been using Lightroom mobile for well not sure how long now (long time), I was able to do the following. (Below) Since reinstalling Lightroom the below functionality no longer works this way and I have to import images first before I can edit. 

I was able to just tap the icon next to the camera icon (or the centre of the screen if no image was saved in Lightroom) and select an image and it would load directly into the editor mode.

If I hit < to back out it would ask me to discard changes if I had made any or it would let me pick a new image to edit.

If I made edits and I wanted to save it to Lightroom I could tap the tick in the top right of the screen and it would be saved into “all photos” Since reinstalling the app this behaviour not long happens, I would like it back as I don’t see the need to have multiple copies of my images when I only need a quick edit and export.

The method I have been using for I don’t know how long now, saves the following 4 steps. Import, edit, delete & delete from bin

I left a review on the IOS AppStore about this and was informed the above isn't the normal behaviour 🤷‍:male_sign: But to me it's been normal as it's how I have always used it 😂 since I installed it a very long time ago. 

Also to note, my bin was never deleted after the time period, so I had 1.7GB worth of images that I had been editing over the years still in my bin 🤷‍:male_sign: They are meant to be clears after 60 day.

(Part of the reason I reinstalled the app)

TOPICS
iOS: iPhone

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I fully understand what you describe, but Lightroom always requires you to import images before you can edit them. That's the nature of the beast, and has been so since day one. 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically I could edit images without importing them. It's been that way since I started using it (before it was rebranded to Lightroom Mobile)

I had it on my phone for years, never needed to remove it till recently. Upon reinstalling I can no longer just edit an image I select without importing it first. 

This is why I labelled this as a bug, as I could have been using a bug for years and not realised it 😬 what I described above has been the norm for me with Lightroom on. IOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached an image, if you have direct access to the devs of the app, I would ask them about why I could edit images without importing first and why when I did, the circled section in the image was replaced by a tick icon. (Until I tapped it, then it would change to the ... dot icon) 

Also why when I made edits, if I tapped the < next to edit: it would ask me to discard the changes or cancel, if I discarded it would reopen the image picker and let me select a new image to edit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a YouTube video of how it worked for me.

She can only select an image (or drags to select multiple) but she must pick the check (tick in top right) for it to be imported to Lightroom. 

Time stamp 1:15 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I'm the guy who replied to your Appstore review. Thank you for posting this in our forum. It gives more people a chance to join in the fun!

I did say that what you described is normal and has been so since the first day. 

Clicking the "Add Photo" button 

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 5.43.08 PM.png

will open a window entitled "Add Photos to All Photos" which invites you to choose a source. One of those choices is "From Camera Roll."

Choosing that opens a window of the most recent images in your iPhone's camera roll. 

Clicking an image opens it in the Edit view of Lightroom. 

At this point you have begun, but not yet committed, to importing an image into Lightroom. You can now make edits.

If you click the back button (<) you will be taken back to the Camera Roll import screen, your edits will be lost, and your image will not be imported into Lightroom.

If you click the checkmark in the upper right you will import the image into Lightroom with the edits intact.

You will now have an edited image in Lightroom and an unedited image in your phone's camera roll.

So I think it's more an issue of semantics.

However, if this is no longer happening, it would be very interesting to see a screen recording of what you see. Our curiosity is piqued and it would be so cool if you would post a recording. Here are the instructions - https://apple.co/3azEld8

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah so what I described is normal? as mine now just imports an image and I have to tap it in Lightroom to edit it. 

attached a video, showing what happens now for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! The video is helpful.

I think you have added an extra step. When you chose an image to edit from the Camera Roll view I noticed you clicked the three-dot menu in the upper right. After that you selected an image and clicked the blue "Add" button in the lower right. 

That is a great way to select multiple images to bring into Lightroom but if you just want one image you can tap on it directly without using the Select mode in the three dot menu. 

Doing that will make it behave the way you were used to before.

I hope that makes sense. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I tapped on that after taping on an image and it done the same behaviour. 

when I tap a single image it selects the image with a (1) down the bottom right of the selection box and the blew (Add) button appears. Before it would just open the edit menus. (Now it doesn't)

I can do another video if you with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Before you do that would you please turn on "Show touches" in Lightroom settings?

Go to Settings > Input > at the bottom of the page toggle on "Show touches"

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok backed up my presets, reinstalled and recorded the process. Exact same behaviour. It doesn't open an image when. I select it in the image picker. 

For some reason I can tap on multiple images to import when all I want to do is select and edit 😬

I don't want to create a new account just to test to see if it's because of my account. 

(file removed)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, it seems my device is stuck in the add multiple times to library. I can tap on multiple images and it selects them 😬

(video included, I never touch the upper right side of the screen when selecting an image)

Now I will need to backup all my presets again & uninstall once more to see if this fixes the issue.

Backing up presets shouldn't be a pro feature, should be done to iCloud.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean now. 

Does powering off your phone and restarting it help? 

I know you have a free account so uninstalling Lightroom means you will lose all the photos imported into the app but it looks like you already know that. 

Also, there is a brand new version 7.5 in the AppStore. Try installing that and see if it works.

If that doesn't help I will share this with some of our developers and see if they have any insight. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done all that, added another video of me reinstalling it from the AppStore (above the last comment) doesn't make a difference.

Am stuck in this mode and I haven't a clue why or know how to get out of it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of the software do you have installed now? 

I think you mentioned it is an iPhone 13 in your Appstore review, is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IOS: 15.6

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

V. 7.5.0 8FCD92/52
ACR: 14.5 (1177) • WF: 4.5 • VF: 1.0.114.1 • CSDK: 7.10.2366

latest version for the AppStore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

V. 7.5.1 74FFDA/55
ACR: 14.5 (1177) • WF: 4.5 • VF: 1.0.114.1 • CSDK: 7.10.2366

Still the same behaviour. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It turns out that we are conducting a test of the import process. It should return to normal soon. In the meantime, you have discovered the way to work around it. Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Little update:

V. 7.5.2 A35FE5/58

still doesn't fix the issue 😔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines