Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom (cloud-based) library backup

Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an IT guy, it's normal for me to have a backup of my full set of data ...
I'm very satified with the LR cloud based offer. But there is no integrated solution to keep a full backup of my data (my RAW or JPEG with the associated XMP proviing me the opportunity to restore my data and use it in other location/software/... This is my backup and my exit plan ...

The only solution (i know) provided by ADOBE in that case is Lightroom Downloader (https://lightroom.adobe.com/lightroom-downloader).

Sadly, this solution work well on my Windows computer but not on my Mac (last Macbook Air M1) (a complete crash on MacOS happen 5 to 10 minutes after it start the process to backup.

What is the common solution used by the community for this requirement ?

Thanks to all !

Note: If Adobe support want the crash report from my Mac, I can provide it 🙂

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, I discover that at a certain point in time, the CPU load of the application is growing very (very) fast and that the Lightroom downloader process saturate the computer before totally block and crash it.

I have around 400GB to download to do my backup ... it crash each 2 to 3% ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I spend a lot of time with the Adobe support to solve my issue.
They do a lot of test by changing access rights on folders. Finally the answer was that it is not possible to use Lightroom Downloader with a NAS as destination; A USB drive or local should be used.

I do some testing and analysis on my side and discover that this software is not already available nativelly for Apple Silicon CPU and then run with Rosetta.

It looks that Rosetta crash my MAC due to the important network traffic of Lightroom Downloader.

Conclusion : I do a backup on a USB drive and then launch a rsync script to my NAS ... not the easiest solution but working ... 

Requests to Adobe: 

- Please release a Apple Silicon native package for Lightroom Downloader

- Please provide a real backup solution for Lightroom cloud solution:

- The XMP files (provided trough Lighroom Downloader)  don't include a lot of information like keywords

- Impossible to export information regarding Albums

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you have discovered, the Downloader really isn't particularly useful as an exit strategy, as there is too much stuff not currently included in the download. I've told Adobe that many times, hopefully they'll take that onboard and do something about it.

A better exit strategy would be to export as original (which would include most settings as well). To address the lack of album information, which isn't included in XMP, you could consider exporting album by album (i.e. putting the album name in the export folder). Or you could add an album-specific keyword to all the images, before exporting, thus retaining the ability to re-organise the images in whatever image manager you migrate to (assuming it supports albums/collections of course).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I want both an import and export of the cloud options. This is especially critical as more and more companies are getting targeted by Ransomeware.

I had this request in the feedback forums before they closed them.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Timothy.Spear  The posts from the feedback.photoshop.com will be migrated here on 8.31.2021 so your request is not lost.  This thread will be merged with that thread. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Timothy,

Even without thinking about Ransomware, If I buy a service as I do by subscribing to Adobe Lightroom plan, I would like to be able to get our of this service at any time and to go out with all the work I do on this platform, meaning that I would like to have an export with all the edit, keywords, album and so on I do ... 

Additionnally, having an "exit plan" of cloud services start to be a normal insurance for any companies in case of major issue on the service or in specific internationnal issue.

I really hope Adobe will provide soon a better tooling around Lightroom Cloud.

By now, I'm really thinking about going back to LrC ... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim, if you have a link handy, I will get the info migrated. I don't seem to be able to find this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant from the other forum, Tim!  Do you have any of those links from feedback.photoshop.com? A quick search didn't find anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I now go to feedback.photoshop.com I get redirected to the community.adobe.com site.

My link above did go to my original post when I made it. Now it no longer works.

If you still have access to the old system, I had a number of feedback items which I hoped would be moved over. Does not look like any made it.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not everything was migrated. Bugs(Problems) and Features (Ideas) took priority and even then there was selection criteria for what migrated.  Discussions, Announcements and Praise were not migrated. 

If you have any old email notifications with posts links to feedback contained within them, you can forward them to me and I will review them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Rikk Flohr: Photography 

I just added an idea post to track this issue and also another issue which could use the same solution.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-ecosystem-cloud-based-ideas/backup-and-import-of-full-cloud...

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short version, companies are now getting hit all the time with ransomware. As I deal in cyber security for a good portion of my living, I wonder.
As anyone considered how to backup and recover Cloudy in the case Adobe is hit, and they cannot recover?
Has anyone raised this issue with Adobe?

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe would be well served to share the technical details of a LOT of their cloud and update architecture with users, from how (if) data is checked for integrity as it is moved up and down, to how it is checked for integrity at rest (e.g. for bit rot), is it versioned so if Adobe is hit with ransomware or if a user is hit, are there offline older versions from which to restore?  Whether (and how to) user errors can be recovered from versioned backups.  Are they geographically diverse in the case of natural disasters.  There's so much depth to data protection that when we give over our data to a third party to protect, it seems natural to want to know how they will do so.  "Trust us" is an answer, but it is on par with security by obscurity -- which is no security at all really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a (retired) cyber security product manager I concur and endorse both of the previous postings. Moreover, with a monthly subscription business model and the need to applications to periodically "call home" for account status, Adobe is very vulnerable. 

Another attack vector (not originally my idea) is that Adobe is well positioned for a "supply chain attack," in which updates and patches could be injected with malware.  That way, millions of personal use and business use systems could be infected.  The reputational damage could be huge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines