• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Error in catalog index" when importing photos

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I attempt to import photos into Lightroom CC, the import does not succeed and returns the error message "Error in catalog index". The import preview is able to "see" each photo and can open it, so I don't believe the problem is with the files themselves. This result is the same when I try to import the files directly from SD card, when I first copy the files to my local hard drive, and when I copy them to an external drive. I have attached screenshots showing the preview of the import, and the error message that I receive. Looking for suggestions on how to troubleshoot the catalog index issue, or how to escalate this to a proper support request.

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 11.42.58 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-09-02 at 11.43.21 AM.png

Message was edited by: Mod (Discussion successfully moved from Lightroom Classic CC — The desktop-focused app to Lightroom CC — The cloud-based photo service) This discussion needs to be in the Cloud Centric Forum. DO NOT MOVE IT BACK TO the Desktop forum.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no answer but the same is happening to me today.

Please update if you were able to resolve, and I'll do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

Oddly enough I just closed Lightroom, restarted my computer and it is now working.

I bet you tried that already but just wanted to share! Problem solved for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had not but it did indeed work! 😂 thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact same issue when attempting to add photos to Lightroom CC.  The preview window displays the photos, but then importing consistently returns this "Error in catalog index" for all photos.  Restarting did not change anything.

I have previously edited my photos using ACR via Bridge (and I have added ratings in Bridge), so I understand there's a difference in that the photos currently have XMP sidecar files, but I also believe Lightroom has a mechanism for syncing the edits contained therein to the catalog, once files are imported.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.  I have a ton of photos I'd like to sync to the Lightroom environment and seem to be a hitting a complete roadblock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem. Restarting does not help. waiting for a resolution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this issue tonight. After updating to latest version, it was fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if this has been resolved. I'm having the same issue - can't import any new photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2019 Feb 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a Lightroom CC issue; not Classic. And is happening to me too, rats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue as well. I've uploaded photos from my iPhone App to the cloud, and they are synched with the desktop app, but I cannot import photos from a camera (SD Card or JPEGs on Desktop) into the Lightroom CC. This is strange, as if it were a catalogue issue you'd assume it would impact synching from the cloud as well.

Sorry that I cannot yet contribute a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too, just tonight. I rebooted/restarted everything and no solution. I can import the NEF (Nikon RAW) files into Apple Photos, so it's a Lightroom issue. After poking around these forums, I deleted every Lightroom photo, from within LR. (I really only use LR for editing RAW files and then importing any keepers into Apple Photos, so no real loss.) Then I was able to import the NEF files again from my XQD card in my Sony XQD reader attached to my iMac. But this is a scary and time consuming bother. Has anyone figured out how to prevent/fix this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

restarting helped for me. i doubt this will work for all since some below said this didn't do much but for the few that restarting may help--try it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue on Lightroom CC 2.2. I've generated a diagnostic log and full report if any Adobe engineer is interested although I'm not sharing them here because I have no way to tell if they contain private information. I've created those reports before attempting any mitigation (like restarting).

After restarting Lightroom (not macOS) no error message appeared after a new photo import attempt (6 photos) but Lightroom acted as if nothing happened for a few minutes (maybe while it was trying to upload the files) and the files suddenly appeared in Recently Added and All Photos. After the import, they weren't showing up in either and there was no entry in Recently Added for the import that would indicate the files were being processed. This isn't very reassuring.

It should be noted that this is a Lightroom CC install on a secondary machine while a first machine is still syncing hundreds of thousands of photos up. It might help narrow down the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone figure this out?  A reboot didn't help in my case, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question as restarting hasn‘t solved the problem.

I‘ve even done the latest Lightroom CC update & I still get the error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering why this says assumed answered... There is no solution. The same thing is happening to me tonight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened to me.  Really frustrating.  Adobe ... can't you answer this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happened to me as well. I'm also wondering why it says "assumed answered." Especially as there seem to be quite a few people here who have not been able to resolve the issue. In fact, this may be the most vague category I've ever seen in a support forum. Congratulations, Adobe, for your cutting-edge deflection tactics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THE SAME PROBLEM... no answer ... Adobe Support, Hello? 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue!  Is ANYONE from Adobe monitoring this?! I would think my monthly subscription would inclue a solution.  This is worthless program if I cannot import photos!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have partitioned my files to be uploaded so that they are roughly in 32GB folders. I tried to load 5 such folders successively. On the fifth folder I got the error. I had gone from about 94k photos to about 107k photos (lots of duplicates). The error leads me to believe that LR simply couldn't expand its own index any further without a restart. A restart cured my problem. 

Analagously, LR was trying to eat five cheesburgers without swallowing. A restart is a swallow and a drink of water. If that doesn't work, maybe it already choked to death. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Tried unistalling lightroom cc then reinstalling. Tried logging out of adobe then logging back in. Problem still there. Must be problem with the latest update. Adobe needs to fix this now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, and it started right after I updated LR to version 3.2.1.  I need to GET THIS RESOLVED!  Hey Adobe, are you working on this?  This affects my business!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also having the same issue - version 3.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines