• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to set cache location in Desktop to something besides C drive

Enthusiast ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short version: I want the ability to move smart previews and the cache location to another disk.

Long version: I have limited space on my C drive. I want the ability to save SmartPreviews and also the cache to another disk. I have a additional capacity on a scratch SSD and also HDD for which I would prefer to use for the caching functions. This would allow me to give Lr a lot more space, which would be useful when searching/viewing my 600GB picture database.

This issue will likely hit multiple people over time, as anecdotally more people are upgrading computers instead of replacing with the current elevated costs of computer equipment (and computer prices do NOT seem to be coming down). Note: this is caused by the rather painful process to replace a Windows C drive.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
3 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to Lightroom, or are you referring to Lightroom Classic? What exact version are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim, I'm pretty sure there's already an existing feature request going back to the launch of Lightroom in 2017. The only workaround for now would appear to be via setting up a Symlink for the local library, and if IIRC there was a user post here no more than a few days ago outlining the procedure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@JP Hess 

Lightroom Desktop, not Classic. I am using 5.4 which was released within the last couple weeks.

@Jim Wilde

Aware of the workaround. Which re-raised the issue in my mind actually. So, I specifically created this as an idea, so it can get votes. Hopefully enough people express an interest in the idea by voting for it, that Adobe recognizes how basic it is. I would even accept this implemented in stages. Have a property file or registry entry to change, then eventually add the ability to change the GUI. I would even accept that Lr has to "rebuild" the cache and must restart.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate