• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Allow Direct Importing images into iPad with ios 13

Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom Mobile (4.3.2) on an iPadPro-2018. I want to import images from an SD card into LR.
Here's my import process:
-Attach card reader to UBS-C port, insert SD card
-Open Files.app and browser to the SD Card
-Select the photos you want to import into LR
-Select "Share" in the lower left corner of the Files.app

At this point, I should be able to select Lightroom. However, the LR option ONLY appears if the number of files is 10 or fewer. More than 10 files and the Lightroom icon does not appear. With this process, no more than 10 images can be imported into LR at a time.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Has anyone found a workaround? And yes, I have reported this to Apple.

Thanks for your feedback.

Peter

Idea Released
TOPICS
Android

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
51 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2019 Sep 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this issue but exacerbated by ten fold. Only able to import 1 RAW Carr file at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple announced that its new iPadOS will let apps like Lightroom import photos directly. Hoping a new Lightroom version with this capability will be released with final iOS 13 release, in a few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Just hoping that’ll apply to this use scenario because it seems both likely and unlikely all at the same time. (USB-C to SD import of RAW)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested with iOS 13 and 13.1 betas, the issue still exists.
LumaFusion has no issue importing more than 10 files at a time, so I guess it's a Lightroom related problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed the official iPadOS 13.1. When importing files I still can’t see my external drive in Lightroom, but I can see it in the Apple files app. Clearly Adobe hasn’t built in support yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally, Lightroom CC on iPad (and iPhone if possible?) would be able to import photos directly from an attached SD card or USB hard drive, exactly like it does on the desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m a “the glass is half full” kinda guy.
I am hoping Adobe will pushing out an iPadOS update soon allowing full access to an attached drive...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe needs to take this issue and implement access to attached drives in the Files app rather than relying on Apple to Share the drive and files to Lightroom. Apple finally allowing full access to external drives after all these years is revolutionary—take advantage of it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this feature request is important to you make sure you are hitting the [Me Too] button at the top right. This number is tracked in our internal systems and has bearing on if and when a feature is implemented,  Continue to put your comments in however. 

Thanks.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk,
Apple officially announced that iOS 13 allows apps « like Lightroom » to import pictures directly.
I tend to think that Adobe was involved and that a next update will make this a reality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is a huge Company but they very slow upgrade their product.
They just like to show how benefit they have each quarter.
 I hope Capture one will launch their product on iPad Os and adobe will have a competitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I‘m a bit surprised that Adobe would need a reminder of this feature being important to people.

Seeing that specifically „apps like Lightroom“ were pointed out during the first presentations of iPadOS 13 (regarding the ability to, for example, import directly from a connected SD-Card), the silence from Adobe and lack of updates is worrisome.
I think everybody agrees that the current way of importing from SD-Card to Lightroom on an iPad (going through the Photos app first) is crap, and people were very much looking forward to a much improved workflow now that Apple has delivered the necessary foundation for such a feature.
Adobe, we‘re waiting for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Adobe, we‘re waiting for you.

A little gentle googling suggests Adobe may be waiting on an API from Apple that's still listed on their "later this year" release dates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I installed iPad OS 13 on my iPad Pro (2018) I've been able to access my Lacie Copilot drive via the USB-C connection. In Lightroom on my iPad I can now import photos via the Files option. So for me at least the problem is solved. Lightroom wasn't updated so I deduce that connection to  external drives was a iOS issue and not something Adobe had control over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well so far my googling didn't include the term "API", maybe due to that I didn't stumble across that result.
Found it now though, thank you for pointing it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+ 1  Importing more than 10 files at a time is not possible from SD Card so I guess it's a Lightroom related problem 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone that don’t want to lose five minutes with Googling : it’s the « Image Capture API » that Adobe may be waiting for. More information on https://www.apple.com/in/ipados/featu...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though I’m not sure this is a requirement for importing pictures from an SD card : « External drive support » is already there, that allows to
« Access files on a USB drive, SD card or hard drive »

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom tethering to ipad pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple is upgrading to iPadOS for all us iPad users that adds some pretty important new functions.

I can now use a usb-c dongle in my iPad and connect a external harddrive to that and a SD card. I can then copy files from the card to the drive. 

But in LR I lack the options to import files. In short we need a way to import files with the new files tools. Would be perfect to be able to edit all the raw files on my external drive. 
I am feeling hopefull that Adobe will the see the very GREAT opportunity and added usability that this will add to LR mobile.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm truly surprised that we have to vote on this as a feature request, when it was specifically called out in the Apple event and "sneaked" as a feature of iPadOS! If memory serves, they even showed a brief glimpse of Lightroom importing this way. I've added my vote (#32, that is a sadly low number). But this should be a premiere feature of Lightroom on iPad! Adobe engineers should be all over this one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing similar frustration on the direct import of raw files into Lightroom on ipad pro/ipados 13.2.  Using the file.app browse-select-share approach, Lightroom appeared in the list of share options when 9 files were selected.  They were then successfully imported.  Share to Lightroom did not appear when many files (168) were selected.   This is not a Apple/ipados 13.2 problem because this problem does not occur for other apps, LumaFusion for example.  Abobe is very much behind the curve on this issue and not looking deeply into their own issues.  The main reason I went Lightroom Mobile and ipad route was to have this mobile functionality of importing SD cards from DSLRs without going through camera-roll and icloud which created duplicate storage and file cleanup workflow headaches.  With many competitors biting at Adobe's heals and starting to take share, I cannot understand how a competent product manager could risk letting such a fundamental workflow capability be unresolved, especially when the marketing department and market communications teams made this element one of the key brand promises of switching to this platform.  I have worked in technology development 40 years - i would bet the problem is not the engineers' ability to figure this out.  It is a rather simple problem (by evidence of other competitors figuring it out).  This is a simple priority decision that needs to be made by marketing/product management.  Apple have delivered on their side of the deal, now its time for Abode to fall into line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that anyone still believes this problem is unknown or unfixable by Apple or Adobe. Please review my original posting from 3 months ago. During my testing of IOS 13, I discovered the same issues that David Penner described today. As I stated, the problems were reported to Apple and Adobe.

Unfortunately, I am in the same position as David - I bought the Apple tablet to edit my images in a more efficient manner. Now I find myself wondering if that Windows laptop was such a bad thing.

Clearly, this all falls back to the issue of Adobe being non-responsive to its users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had an update on my iPad and no surprise no mention of direct import!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone post a comment on this subject on the Adobe blog, and an Adobe representative answer that they "would love to be able to offer direct import!".
It seems that iOS isn’t fully ready yet.
Cf. https://theblog.adobe.com/max-2019-ph...

Votes

Translate

Translate