• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: EXIF metadata missing when downloading images from the web UI

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2016 Jan 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When downloading photos from LR Photos (formerly Adobe Revel) the photo info (metadata) is missing from the downloaded file. How do I keep this information with the image file during the download process?

Idea No status
TOPICS
Web

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
14 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you downloading the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't test this, but if you're in LR on the desktop, try going to Metadata menu > Read Metadata from Files and see if that pulls it in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm downloading my images directly from the site and using Adobe BR to view and inspect the metadata that came with it . . . .  bgs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not up to date with what's being offered to ex-Revel subscribers - do I assume you've been switched to the CC Photography Plan?  If so, Lightroom on the desktop should download the unedited original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The capture metadata is there in the original image file in LR (desktop). And it's there when I upload it to LR Photos. I can see it in the photo info section. My problem occurs when I download it from LR Photos and try to read it using Adobe BR. I want to be able to access it through BR. It becomes cumbersome going back to LR (desktop) to view the metadata when I'm working on it from BR. When using the former Adobe Revel, the downloaded image was viewable in BR and the metadata was there as well. This also becomes more of an issue when I'm downloading image files from my students. I do not have access to their LR (desktop) files. Hence, my problem . . bgs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That is correct. I have been switched to Adobe CC Photography Plan, but LR Photos, which is a part of that plan, does not download the metadata associated with that image, although it's plainly visible in photo info section of the viewing pane. . . .  bgs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob is using the terminology that Adobe uses under Manage Account at Adobe.com if you're logged in.  "LR Photos" (under Assets) links to lightroom.adobe.com, where LR Desktop and LR Mobile sync their photos.  (This has also been called at times LR Web.)

To reproduce the problem: 

1. Go to lightroom.adobe.com.

2. Click on a photo in a collection that's been synced to lightroom.adobe.com.

3. Open the Photo Info panel on the right and observe that it has EXIF metadata.

4. Click the download button:

4. Examine the downloaded photo with Exiftool and observe that it doesn't have any EXIF metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Precisely. . . Thanx John for duplicating and clarifying the problem. Now, if we can just figure out how to get that metadata to stay with the file, I'll be a happy camper. Thanx again . . .  bgs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John!

Bob, only a limited amount of metadata is currently stored in the cloud database, and the downloaded file is largely stripped.  I would expect that to change in a future update.

In the meantime, you mentioned you already have the photos in LR on your desktop - these are straightforward photos on your hard drive, so you can browse to them using Bridge and see the full metadata, without ever having to download files from the web UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria, Thanx for the update. . .  that works fine for me, since my image files are resident on my harddrive, but not so well for my students. I have about 30 photography students that submit assignments via the LR Photo download process. I'd like to be able to see their metadata to ascertain that the assignment was captured correctly. Do you have any idea when that update, allowing metadata to be stored and downloaded with the file will take place. The old AdobeRevel system allowed this. Again, thanx for your insight . . .  bgs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, nothing definite has been said, sorry.  I'll switch your thread to an 'idea' (feature request) to make sure it's seen by the right people, and if you're happy for me to do so, I'll rename it to apply to all Lightroom Web assets, as it applies to all files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do. The sooner, the better . . . .  and again, I appreciate all of your help . . .  bgs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria, It's me again. Was this problem ever resolved. I've been working around the issue and was hoping that it would be resolved by now. Please advise. Thanx . .  bgs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Unfortunately it wasn't. This is really a pity as it renders the Lightroom Web interface basically useless for using it with other people who you would like to allow to download your photos (like customers, e.g.). I could live with all metadata but copyright information being stripped from the downloaded files. The funny thing is that at least some copyright information as well as several other metadata are stored with the images on the server as you can see from the photo info panel. It seems, the data is only stripped from the files on download. I would really like to use the Web interface with other people; however it seems that Adobe hasn't done anything in this respect for like two years. That's why I still use Dropbox and similar ways of distributing photos to other people although I like the presentation in the LR interface much better.

Votes

Translate

Translate