• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Search for multiple words in filenames

Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have an issue with Lightroom (installed from the adobe cloud).  Search is broken for me all the time when searching for words in file names. I can't get it to come back with any results for anything.  It says "Oh no! A blackhole"

Idea Planned
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Updating Status

Status Planned

Votes

Translate

Translate
17 Comments
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! I can only search for one Picture, whenever I search for multiple pictures (I separated the file names with ; and tried also ,) and always Black hole appeared!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some examples (screenshots would work too) of the information you are entering into the search field would be helpful.  It is hard to determine what is going on from the scant information. 

Also remember Lightroom searches function in an "AND" capacity. If you enter two file name fragments, it will search for items containing both. There is no "OR" functionality. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to search for several file names. (as found in LR classic)

(My file names start with D3S)

If I type 4820,5136 4820 5136, etc. it does not work.

** If I type D3S_4820, 5136, it works! And brings up 2 photos.

If I type D3S_4820, 5136, then try to add any other file names... it does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Current behavior is as-designed. Converting this thread into a feature request. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating Status

Status Planned

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, I had have to select DSC8171.arw and DSC8175.arw so I entered 8171 and 8175 in the search field in Lr but I was not able to use "contains" search option in LrC
I know Lr is more simplified version of LrC but it is a very inconvenient feature for users like me who need to quickly select by the file number.

Thank you from Seoul, South Korea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can search by individual file number, but I don't think you can search for multiple file numbers in the same search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, after client selected 50 photos, I went back to light room and do a bulk search. Showing me error. 

Why lightroom! Why can I search all the file name at once, Insted of searching one by one for 50 photos!

Anyone got an idea how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, after client selected 50 photos, I went back to light room and do a bulk search. Showing me error. 

Why lightroom! Why can I search all the file name at once, Insted of searching one by one for 50 photos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteSo, after client selected 50 photos, I went back to light room and do a bulk search. Showing me error. 

You could try to use the Collaborative Proofing feature in LrWeb. It's a Technology Preview which needs to be enabled, and you can use it to share an album with the client, and to have them make a number of selections. Once they have made their selections, you can then have an album of those selections automatically created. That will appear in the Lightroom desktop app, so you then have an album which contains just the selected images, so no need to try finding them in a search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into an issue where when I do a batch search I can only get results if I search two photos. That is the max. When I search for 3 or more, I receive the Oh no! A black hole error. This is extremely frustrating when I have a client send me a list of proofed items and I want to just select those photos in lightroom.

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 11.03.24 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-08 at 11.03.30 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try including the full filename, including the extension.  I believe that should work.  Will file as a bug since behavior here is inconsistent.

-Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be working for me now. It is unfortunate that I will have to add that file extension each time, but it's doable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I search for several photos in a search, for example I am looking for 3 photos out of 817 photos with the names IMG_0009, IMG_0014, IMG_0033? In Lightroom Classic I can just write 0009 0014 0033 with the "contains" option then all photos that have that number will appear but in Lightroom CC I have trouble using that feature. Is there no way to do it in lightroom CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes nothing wrong with that. that's exactly what I need. instantly search for 3 or more files in 1 search. As I said I can do it in Lightroom Classic, the question is can I do it in Lightroom CC? How?

it is easy if just search for one file at a time but I need more than that.

This is needed by many wedding photographers or others to sort the files that have been selected using the search/filter feature. Is there anyone else experiencing the same problem as me?
can anyone help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please we need search/filter multiple photos by file number of by file name.

How do I search for several photos in a search, for example I am looking for 3 photos out of 817 photos with the names IMG_0009, IMG_0014, IMG_0033?

In Lightroom Classic I can just write 0009 0014 0033 with the "contains" option then all photos that have that number will appear but in Lightroom 7 I have trouble using that feature. Is there no way to do it in lightroom 7?

if it can't or doesn't exist. Please make changes or additions to this feature as Lightroom Classic can do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I realize this is only partially related to the specific "OR" logic request, but Lightroom's somewhat strange and inconsistent behavior when it comes to handling search terms for even single file names themselves (noted by @peter-b) is also really relevant here. Sometimes more specificity will produce more results when searching for file name. See https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-ecosystem-cloud-based-discussions/issue-searching-by-file-n... for some examples. I don't see as a bug in these forums hopefully it was just filed internally!

Votes

Translate

Translate