Exit

P: Generated images violate user guidelines

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bunny.png

image (1).png

So as you can see, it's a PG-13 relatively inoffensive image of a woman in a bunny outfit. The top worked fine, and I was able to complete the top ear, which is cool. When I tried to extend the bottom with generative fill, though, I got this warning. They're just a pair of legs wearing stockings, and I wanted to extend it.

It feels like a false flag - though I could be wrong? I find myself thinking it would do the same for women in swimsuits.

Figured I'd share here.

Bug Started Locked
TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Dear Community,

On November 7th, 2023, the Firefly for Photoshop service was updated and improved for this issue. You should encounter fewer guideline errors when working on or near skin-tone areas that do not violate the community guidelines.

While the improvement is a big step in the right direction, we are continuing to explore new ways to minimize false-positives. Please continue to give us feedback on this new forum thread and also report false violation errors in the application.
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1376 Replies 1376
1,375 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jiveaces 

kazoo is also slang for *ss in the usa, used as, to "take it up the kazoo" ( meaning to suffer something undesired).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue kind of confirms what I've always theorized. I went over to Firefly and typed "a cow playing a kazoo." Granted, the results were odd in that the instrument themselves looked nothing like a kazoo, but Firefly did in fact make an attempt to create the prompt and I received no violation warning. What I believe is happening with Generative Fill is that the bot creates a result that the bot itself determines is a violation of standards. In other words, it is censoring itself, not you, even though the warning is written in such a way that it blames YOU, and not itself, for attempting to circumvent the standards. But since we aren't able to see those results, I note again that this is only a theory. In short, it's a bug, not censorship, at least in this particular instance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

philbauch_0-1688683577939.png

Just as a suggestion, this would provide a much better user experience and help fixing bugs a lot faster. Not that unimportant while in beta...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this is a bug in the system.

I am testing out the gerative fill, attempting to create a background using 'Meare, Somerset'. It is telling me the background was removed as it violates the user guidelines.

I live in Meare, Somerset and don't see how requesting my village violates any guidelines. To be hinest, this is worrying that my village would be considered a violation of guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something else I would like to add. A lot of people seem convinced that anything involving human skin is the reason they get these violation notices. First, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I have always been able to circumvent this issue by making an additional small selection elsewhere far removed the main selection itself. Secondly, I'm guessing the reason this happens so often is beause the majority of generative fill requests involve human skin, even though the same thing can happen when trying to remove or add other objects in areas that have no resemblance whatsoever to human skin. I also get the impression that people taking advantage of generative fill have no previous experience with other AI applications. It will be a long time, even after Gen Fill is out of beta, that hands and feet will be an issue. This is the case with most AI programs and even those that do it well only do it well 50% of the time and usually still require ediitng in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It flags me for the most ridiculous images!!! Literraly trying to entend a pink wall. So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i'm a food photographer and i found that i cannot generate smoke effects like it used to, this is hillarious since the "The generated image is removed because they violate user guideline" warning keep popping which mean they banned the word. Can these user guidelines get more hillarious?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like making images of old cottages in the countryside and a chimney with smoke  is somthing it won't generate. It's pathetic really

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Graham24508943nobd, what happens if you try “trail of smoke from chimney” as a prompt? I got something to start with.

JEL_0-1688743208215.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never thought of trail of smoke. Will give it a shot 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JoeDugdale, I tried using this prompt, “scene from village of Meare, Somerset in England” and got a few choices. I don't know if this looks like your town, though, lol. Let us know if you get any results trying the same.

JEL_1-1688743850156.pngJEL_2-1688743865773.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

beautiful country cottage with large gardens & trail of chimney smoke was what I typed into prompt.😆😆😆

house smoke.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it did what you asked but you werent specific enough with where the smoke is coming from. AI's can't make assumptions.

One thing I'm starting to notice is creators are going to need a primer for creating accurate text prompts to gain better results from an AI.

This article touches on that with some great resources:
https://creativepro.com/generative-ai-for-designers/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Worked THIS time got some nice white chimney smoke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Graham24508943nobd, that's great, so glad I could help, and thanks for coming back to let us know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting this error. All I am trying to do is extend an image of a live music concert. This did not happen on the previous beta version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@uging30866256ig47 I tried this prompt, “light steam coming from hot food,” as a quick example, and it looks like you might get something workable with a better selection area and some fine-tuning!

JEL_0-1688748965868.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Adam30945406ufs1, to make sure I understand, are you trying to extend the exact same image in the same way with the 24.7.0 Beta release? Or are you talking about a different image? Can you post the image so others can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn’t add any prompt – I just highlighted the empty space where I wanted to extend an image and clicked generate – which led to guidelines error and no image. Weirdly enough though, when I wrote “extend” in the prompt, it was able to generate images without error

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i'm trying the new beta generative fill, i usually take fashion photos, sometimes also bathing suites and bikinis for e-commerce, i tried some photos to "complete" them, for example trying to transform close up to a mid closeup, or change lower part of a mid clouseup to see if i could get a different pose etc. 

but whatever i try, also not giving any word and let the generative fill "decide" what to do (example i have mid close up and i want to have a mid shot leaving a blank space below) , i always have the violating guidelines prompt, obviously no p*rn photos, but also simple bathing suite, bikini, or just a low neckline dress, whatever i try i get the violating guidelines prompt.

is this feature forbidden for people who shoot fashion photos? ok avoiding p***ography, but fashion dresses, bathing suites and bikinis should be the minimum allowed, i am not sure, but i think that if the subject is dressed it is something like PEGI 12, even with a little revealing dress.

Probably many adobe customers also live of artistic nudity but ok probably it will never be PEGI 18 (ESRB adult) "friendly" but at least PEGI 16 (ESRB mature) should be allowed, it seems that guiledines are around pegi 7 not even pegi 12 (ESRB teen wich allows revealing clothes or even partial nudity).

some feedback from developers about this? should we photographers who live of a little more mature than ESRB 10+ (or PEGI 7) content (but not much, as i said it blocks even PEGI 12+ content) abandon the idea to use this new tool?

thanks

p.s. example photo is not shoot by me, it's a public photo of a public famous influencer taken as a result on google, so copyrights are to her, using this photo just as an example for the pose wich reflects what i was saying (the white space is what i asked to complete to AI) about violating guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam, try adding a full stop ( period ) and nothing else in your prompt boxt when extending an image. Works for me  every time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, typing a [.] doesn't work for me at all. I'm finding that cropping to extend the canvas area, then hitting Generate does a pretty good quick job out of the gate.

JEL_0-1688751092590.pngJEL_1-1688751103518.pngJEL_2-1688751111837.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I just uploaded DSC02580.psd.  I am getting the same message when I try to generative fill the section below her feet and shoes.  I want to be able to create the other shoe in the picture, but I keep getting the same error message about violation of guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Beta 24.7.0 Release

I attempted to use generative fill on a picture of a flower of the selection with no prompt, but was rejected due to a false user guidelines violation. I can supply the original image but its too large to attach.

Flower.jpgViolate.jpg

I expect this not to be flagged due to it being a picture of a flower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say that nearly half of the images I have "violate" the terms. I would be reporting images continually. I am frankly getting fed up with it. Expanding the background of an image is mostly all I do, and a bikini or even nude girl in the image should have no barring on "violating terms". It's not Adobe's business of a girl in a bikini or nude is in my image. I dont need nor want big brother dictating art to me. Artistic Freedom is a must and this censorship is going WAY over the line imo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate