• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Classic>Edit in PS: Long Delay+Erroneous Error Message opening Ps Beta 2024 25.0

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recently updated Photoshop Beta to 2024 v25.0 on my Windows 11 machine.

Now when I try to open photos from LR 12.4 using the "edit in...", it hangs up for a time and then comes up saying "The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2024 could not be launched."

When I hit "Ok" it then opens the file in Photoshop 2024. 

This happens with every file, even if Photoshop 2024 is already up and running at the time. 

This does not happen with 2023 v24.7.

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Greetings all,

Lightroom Classic 12.5 released this evening.  If used in conjunction with PS Beta 25.0 or later, this erroneous error message plus long open wait time should be mitigated. Please install LrC 12.5 and make certain that your Beta is up to date.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

This thread will be

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1160 Replies 1160
1,160 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already tried reinstalling Photoshop. I'll try reinstalling both. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Default edit in PS and Windows 10

Get Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So definetly a bug in PS Beta. As soon as I install the Beta branch the problems reoccur. With only the standard release installed everything is working fine.

Opening images as layers, panoramic function, everything works.

What I did notice: since the newest update I was able to select PS 2023 or PS 2024 for an external editor.

Like written before: uninstall everything via CreativeCloud. Keep your current settings. Then reinstall PS first, then LR.

Will be keeping my hands of the PS Beta branch as long as this bug is not fixed. Unfortunately this renders the software unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Windows 11. I have tried both the default Edit as... and I have tried it as a separate function. Both give the same behavior.

I also get this behavior with the latest PS 2023 update (v.24,7). If I walk that back to 24.6 I do not have the issue.

I did try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest versions but that was a no go.

I have walked PS to 24,6 and Beta to 24.7 and am no longer having the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using Windows with latest updates.

Here's what's going on: 

I already followed a thread and uninstalled both Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. Then, I reinstalled them first Photoshop and then LrC. The issue remained the same.

This is the issue:

When I try to open a set of pics to edit as layers in Photoshop from LrC, Photoshop opens but stays in the first screen. Then I get a message in LrC that says "The files could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2024 could not be alunched." Here's a couple of pics.

LrC message.jpgPhotoshop first screen.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same problem here. Also odd that Lightroom preferences shows a photoshop called Photoshop 2024 in the external editing tab.

V1972_0-1690472207755.png

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today photoshop won't open photos from lightroom, if I open as smart object, works but can't save it and return to lightroom¿?¿?  any advise... thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem on my Windows11 machine - I hope that a solution is found soon as I've used the beta software almost exclusively recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel,

After I read your comment, I switched the external editor to Photoshop 2023 and it worked perfectly. It seems the problem is with Photoshop 20204, I guess.😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the shipping version of Photoshop or have you downloaded the PS Beta?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seid dem heutigen Update (25.0m 2254) können Fotos nicht mehr direkt aus Lightroom geöffnet werden.

Fehlermeldung "Photoshop 2024 konnte nicht gestartet werden" (obwohl es läuft). Windows 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as of yesterday if i open my image from Lightroom it takes me to the original photoshop instead of Beta, and when i open Beta and insert image to work on it automatically shows original photoshop even though i work open beta first. 

Any ideaS? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens with Mac OS 13.4.1 (c) .  In LrC, PS Beta is set to be the default Photoshop editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated Ps Beta this morning, using the slash key to show the mask isn't working.  Also everytime I try to open an image in photoshop directly from lightroom, I get an error message that says photoshop can't be opened (I have regular and photoshop beta installed and am selecting the beta version) and lightroom then makes a copy of the file that it didn't send to photoshop.  The third time I try it works.  Weird. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to load layer from lightroom into photoshop but PS Beta will not allow it to happen. this was after the latest beta update today (7/27/23) any ideas? or should i roll back the update to the last?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom classic, when I right click a RAW image and select "edit in Photoshop 2023" the image does not open in Photoshop. I've tried restarting a few times, and making sure my Mac OS is all updated, which it is. No updates are available in creative cloud. 

I've tried importing fresh RAW files into lightroom, also didn't solve the issue. Lightroom knows where they photos live, I can right click ' Show in Finder' and it takes me right to the image location.

I've been using this feature for years and years, and it all of a sudden stopped working today. Worked fine yesterday... I did the Photoshop Beta update this morning, perhaps related.

Doing some research this appears to be a fairly common issue, but couldn't really find much of a solid solution. Any advice on how to get this to work again?  

My work-around is to select "edit in 'open in photoshop as smart object' which appears to still be working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back to PS versions for 24.6 and Beta for 24.7 and now it's working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a Lightroom Bug - Moving to Photoshop beta. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk- I am not using photoshop Beta. I'm using the regular version of Photoshop. I uninstalled Beta this morning to rule that out as the cause, after I had done the update. I had both programs installed because I was playing around with Beta, but my default program is still set to the normal version of photoshop.  Not I only have the normal version installed and I'm still having the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, What version of PS are you using?
Because I use it on Windows and today we had an update to Beta and this happened to me when editing photos from LR to PS and when I tried to save, it wouldn't go to the correct place.
However I went back to PS for 24.6 and Beta for 24.7 and now it's working fine both PS Beta and LR when saving edited photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also having the issue with Photoshop 2023 v24.7 (not the beta version), which was why it seemed like a LR bug. 

I have walked both beta and regular back to the last versions (24.7 beta and 24.6 regular) and they are working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Danny - I'm on 24.7.0 for photoshop. I ran the beta update this morning, but I haven't been using the Beta program. I uninstalled Beta this morning to try and rule it out as the issue. Now I just have Lightroom 12.4 and Photoshop 24.7.0 installed and still having the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try to go back to PS 24.6, thank you for the replies. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've followed the advice given elsewhere - uninstalled LRC and PSbeta keeping preferences for both - restarted machine. Then reinstalled Photoshop Beta first - follwed by LRC  and there has been a slight improvement.

If I try to edit from LRC using the Copy of original image then the file will open in PS beta as normal.

However, if you try to Edit in PSbeta with LRC adjustments applied then the computer hangs and eventually opens the file after a few minutes.

I hope this helps.... I'm sure that Adobe will be on this one and an update solution will hopefully not be far away.

Votes

Translate

Translate