• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Contextual Task Bars Now in Photoshop (Beta)

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We’re excited to announce that new contextual task bars are now available in Photoshop Public Beta. We know that finding the right tool, at the right time, can sometimes slow down a great workflow. Our new contextually aware task bars aim to help by providing common tools, actions and next steps right on the canvas where you’re working. We are currently launching five bars for importing new documents, making selections and using the Type Tool. Learn more below: 

Open Image or File

• This bar will appear when you open an image or file in Photoshop (i.e. not a new, empty document)

NoelleShamroukh_0-1679959585915.png

New Document Workflow

• This bar will appear if you open a new, blank document from the Photoshop home screen

NoelleShamroukh_6-1679010740627.png

• If you choose to select “import image”, your image will be placed in the document as a Smart Object and the Free Transform bar will appear to help finalize placement

NoelleShamroukh_1-1679007583143.png

Type Tool Workflow

• This bar will appear when you select the Type tool from the tool bar and draw a text box on the canvas

NoelleShamroukh_2-1679007583147.png

Selections Workflow

• Once a selection is made, a selection edit bar will appear with options to refine the selection or create a mask

NoelleShamroukh_4-1679007583152.png

Tips and Other Menu Functionality

NoelleShamroukh_5-1679007583155.png

• Pin bar position
    • You can pin and un-pin any bar from the “more menu”. Pinning will hold your bar (and all subsequent bars) where it was placed on the canvas until un-pinned from the “more menu” performed
  • Reset bar position
    • The context bar moves with you as you work on the canvas, keeping relevant tools at your finger tips. If you would like to reset the position, you can do so from the “more menu”
  • Hide bar
    • You can always hide the bar if you’d like to remove it completely, or temporarily, from the canvas. If you’d like to re-open the bar at any point, go to Window > Contextual Task Bar

We need your feedback!

Please let us know what you think and how we could improve the new Contextual Task Bar.

TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 241 Replies 241
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am jealous. lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/using-pin-bar-position-for-contextual...

After the Pin bar position to fixed Contextual Task Bar position and close Photoshop and reopened,the Contextual Task Bar will return to its original default position instead of the pinned position.

it would be nice if it stayed in the position that user pinned even closed or reopen photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The task bar moving all over the place is not ideal for my workflow. It is a hindrance every time I'm not typing. If it could be docked to the side that would be very helpful (not sure if this is possible right now). Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About the best you can do for now is move the Contextual Task Bar to where you want it, then click on the 3 liitle dots and Pin bar position.

This only lasts until you restart Photoshop.

pbp.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish it could be at the top of the screen with the other options. This window that is appearing all over my images is driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can allow user to place the position of  floating bar?

it's distrubing when using Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gaisen you can position the contextual task bar by dragging here, note is will revert to the original position when you re-open Photoshop

2023-07-18 14_20_37-Untitled-1 @ 50% (RGB_8) _.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Gaisen the team is aware that the pin position also does not hold when reopening Photoshop. There is a thread started here https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-beta-discussions/contextual-task-bars-now-in-photoshop-beta...

that has upvotes on allowing the Contextual Task Bar to dock or permanently "pin" in a location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dalarayener_0-1685204090891.png

this small selection bar is very often in the way of what i try to do, it's a great idea but i wish it stayed where i put it! next time i use the marquee or any selection tool it reappears in its original location, which is in the middle of my selection area! if part of the desired selection area overlaps with the toolbar, the selection tool gets blocked and i have to stop and move the toolbar before i can continue.

love the new beta version!! generative fill will definitely be a game changer!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue with any tool, brushes etc. not just selection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the three dots and disable it (hide).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that the majority of users would prefer to have it default to being pinned to the top and if you wanted to move it on top of your picture you could, rather than having to pin it each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Voted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys!

I downloaded the new photoshop beta, with the intelligent fill function. Seems great, but the placement of the menu is rather annoying - i need to look at a composition usually and not only to a selected area. With each selection, Photoshop produces a menu right below the selection, and I wish Adobe to change it into a menu that i can place somewhere else or, like the selection tool already was, make a top menu where i can do these things.

Is it me? or is this a point for improvement?

thanx for your thoughts...

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 20.42.30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Select subject / Remove background" bar can result obstructive even thou it can be manually fixed in any other place, but that must be done every time because it don't stay there when de program is restarted.
Maybe it could better be fixed by default at the top in the Home bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click on the three little dots you can move the Contextual Task Bar and Pin bar position, however, it will only hold that position till you restart photoshop, so hopefully Adobe will fix that in an update.

pbp.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5F8F_0-1686666057072.png

an additional control panel often appears on top of the text and forces you to constantly manually move it to another place.
It would be great if it was possible to customize and save its default position in a convenient place for the user. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ярослав5F8F have you tried clicking the dots (options) and pinning the Contextual Task Bar location? You can also hide it via the Windows panel (bottom of mennu).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kevin stohlmeyer ! Thanks for the answer! Yes, of course, but it only works until you restart Photoshop. Next time, Photoshop will again put this bar on top of the text. As if the "reset bar" item works after the application is restarted. I would like to keep the position forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The placement is *extremely anoying. I know you're really excited about it, but it's in the way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think the new contextual task bar should remember its settings between Photoshop sessions. För example if I pinned it to a specific position it should remember those settings when I start a new PS session. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Generative Fill bar tends to appear over work I am doing, forcing me to repeatedly move it out of the way. I'd recommend an option to integrate it full-time into the task bar at the top of the page so that it's always visible but in a set, easy-to-access location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put your cursor on the white vertical line and drag the task box to where
you'd like it. I put mine on the upper right in the top toolbar. Click
on the three dots and select "pin bar position "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LindaCinMaine That only pins it for that session. The frustration most everyone in this thread is expressing is that you have to pin it every time you open Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines