• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Contextual Task Bars Now in Photoshop (Beta)

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We’re excited to announce that new contextual task bars are now available in Photoshop Public Beta. We know that finding the right tool, at the right time, can sometimes slow down a great workflow. Our new contextually aware task bars aim to help by providing common tools, actions and next steps right on the canvas where you’re working. We are currently launching five bars for importing new documents, making selections and using the Type Tool. Learn more below: 

Open Image or File

• This bar will appear when you open an image or file in Photoshop (i.e. not a new, empty document)

NoelleShamroukh_0-1679959585915.png

New Document Workflow

• This bar will appear if you open a new, blank document from the Photoshop home screen

NoelleShamroukh_6-1679010740627.png

• If you choose to select “import image”, your image will be placed in the document as a Smart Object and the Free Transform bar will appear to help finalize placement

NoelleShamroukh_1-1679007583143.png

Type Tool Workflow

• This bar will appear when you select the Type tool from the tool bar and draw a text box on the canvas

NoelleShamroukh_2-1679007583147.png

Selections Workflow

• Once a selection is made, a selection edit bar will appear with options to refine the selection or create a mask

NoelleShamroukh_4-1679007583152.png

Tips and Other Menu Functionality

NoelleShamroukh_5-1679007583155.png

• Pin bar position
    • You can pin and un-pin any bar from the “more menu”. Pinning will hold your bar (and all subsequent bars) where it was placed on the canvas until un-pinned from the “more menu” performed
  • Reset bar position
    • The context bar moves with you as you work on the canvas, keeping relevant tools at your finger tips. If you would like to reset the position, you can do so from the “more menu”
  • Hide bar
    • You can always hide the bar if you’d like to remove it completely, or temporarily, from the canvas. If you’d like to re-open the bar at any point, go to Window > Contextual Task Bar

We need your feedback!

Please let us know what you think and how we could improve the new Contextual Task Bar.

TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 241 Replies 241
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try using the most current Photoshop version – 25.2.0 (edit: that’s at 2023-11-29)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone already suggested that. When you restart photoshop, you always have to re-pin it. It's just a temporary solution. Everyone here so far wants it to be a permanent solution like everything else in photoshop, restart and it's always in the same place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what she was telling me, I understood her to mean it was moving during an open image session, where a lock would help. Judging from her Upvote and no further reply, I believe I answered her question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a similar thread in the Beta forum (with 51 replies as of now)

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-beta-discussions/contextual-task-bars-now-in-photoshop-beta...

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like the best solution until (if) they improve the behavior of the contextual toolbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm away on vacation so haven't been able to try the pin option yet. But that sounds like what I wanted to do. I don't mind re pinning. I don't close photoshop every day anyway.  However permanent pin would be a nice option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i came here to say the same - every time i open photoshop, i pin the contextual bar where i want it, expecting it to be a permanent setting, but of course the next time i open photoshop i have to pin it again. super annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't even know what this is called, it's some kind of contextual floating toolbar that's just appeared suddenly, and I'm finding it really annoying. 

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 5.02.31 PM.png

How do I get rid of it? When I chose "pin" it only stays pinned for that document session, it keeps reverting to floating around, so, I'd just like to remove it completely. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the three dots to hide.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's honestly really quite useful if you give it some time.  As its name suggests, it is context sensitive, and changes according what tool or function you are currently using.  That can be a real time saver.  Yes it can be annoying, but it doesn't have to be.

When you click Mr Dog's three dots you'll see that one of the options is to Pin bar position.  That is a bit misleading as you can still move it with the mouse to get it out of the way, but it won't follow the selection position as it does when unpinned. 

image.png

To get it back, go to the bottom of the Window menu.  Give it a chance, and I think you might grow to like it.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure it's got some neat features, but the point of a good UI is consistent and predictable behaviors with the tools. Virtually EVERY other panel in the photoshop UI is dockable, except for this one. This one is only pinnable, and that pinning is lost the next time you launch the app, and it plunks it right in the middle of my workspace. I have specific workflows that I use, and if I have to make special accomodations for a tool specifically BECAUSE it isn't consistent with the rest of the UI, then that is a very poor or incomplete implementation, and honestly, if this was MY work, I wouldn't have released it in this state.

Seriously though, why is CONSISTENCY so hard to achieve that we specifically have to ASK FOR IT? This isn't some new app that is experiencing growing pains, this is a mature application that has been in production for over 30 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

most of the time i'm using photoshop for painting not for photo editing ( only occasionally ) 
and the new Contextual taskbar cover part of my paint at the bottom side
(which is annoying to me to have to pans everytime just to paint that small covred part )

Screenshot 2023-05-26 170902.png

you would say "then move it away" , well i did move the bar to top side
and i " Pin it " , thats good enough but here is the issue :
everytime i close photoshop and open it again : it back to the default position "to the bottom side" very annoying,

we need a premement solution to keep the Contextual taskbar ( in the position we decide for it )

system : windows 10 x64
photoshop version : 2023 - v24.5.0.500

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or at least give us the ability to add it to the side bar
instead of taking a lot of space like that on the canvas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

second this it is very annoying, I tried using it once ot mask, and it didn't do anything just selected then greyed out my other menus with no options to get out of tool. had  to task manager end it in windows 10 to get out of photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't understand how such a fail can be programmed. Did no one try to really work with it? Yes, I can pin this thing on my screen, but I have to do it every time again and again. Who hat the idea to put this menu right in the picture that I will be working on? Adobe has a lot of rubbish in its UI, depending on the program and the team who created it, but this is like first semester, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here here, we need a setting to get rid of the bar permanently. I am tired of having to hide a feature I don't care for everytime I close and reopen photoshop. All it does for me is interupt my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can go to Window and uncheck Contextual Task Bar.

Then you shouldn't see it again unless you go back and enable it again.

cont.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i wanted to add that i do really like having the contextual bar, esp for generative fill (in beta), i just wish that pinning it was permanent and that i wouldnt have to re-pin whenever i start a new session

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello. i dream to not movig new small bar position every time i open the PS. or maybe fix it there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a feature it's fine but the problem is with it floating about (I often pin but limited effectiveness) it is quite distracting. If I could lock it into place like you can with other panels such as Layers it would be still functional without being disruptive. It's like someone constantly shoving sticky-notes in your face when you're trying to concentrate.

Swandivestream_0-1687778034576.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2023 Jun 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using the Photoshop Beta version for two days. Yesterday, there was a little task bar at the bottom of the window for generative AI. That is gone now. How do I get it back? Now I have to make a selection then right click to get to generative fill. I'd like to use that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me, but in my case, I pressed the hide button that appeared in the contextual taskbar and now it wont show up again automatically after making a selection 😞 Can't seem to find how to make it show up each time I make a selection like it used to each time I made a selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG just fixed it!! 

• You can always hide the bar if you’d like to remove it completely, or temporarily, from the canvas. If you’d like to re-open the bar at any point, go to Window > Contextual Task Bar

And this is the link to where I found how to fix that:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-beta-discussions/contextual-task-bars-now-in-photoshop-beta...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working for me; bar just disappeared. I've closed and reinstalled application. I check and uncheck the Contextual Task Bar but it doesn't reappear. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working for me; bar just disappeared. I've closed and reinstalled application. I check and uncheck the Contextual Task Bar but it doesn't reappear. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines