Exit

Generative Fill in Photoshop Beta

Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dream Bigger with Generative Fill - now in the Photoshop (beta) app 

GenerativeFill copy.jpg 

This under-construction, revolutionary new AI-powered Generative Fill allows you to create/generate new content in your image or remove objects like never before!

The process is simple: make a selection ā€“ any selection, then tell Photoshop exactly what you want placed there. The GenAI models will return an object or scene you described. You can:

Generate objects: Select an area in your image, then describe what youā€™d like to add.

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 1.57.06 AM.png

Generate backgrounds: Select the background behind your subject, then generate a new scene from a text prompt.

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 1.54.43 AM.png

Extend images: Expand the canvas of your image, then make a selection of the empty region. Generating without a prompt will create a seamless extension of your scene.

Expand_Arrows.png

Remove: Select the area you want to remove, then let the GenAI technology make it disappear.

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 12.49.31 PM.png

And moreā€¦ Generative fill is incredibly versatile. Discover new ways to use this powerful feature.

How to use Generative Fill

Full instructions and helpful links are here:   https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/generative-fill.html

Rate the results!
Releasing this amazing new technology as a public beta allows Adobe to hear from you!

Let us know if the Generative Fill feature is meeting your expectations!

Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 5.28.41 PM.png

As you use Generative Fill, please rate each variation image.

Simply hover over the [ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢] on the thumbnail and give it a thumbs up, or thumbs down, then follow the link to tell us more.

Report Result option
Prompts may also unintentionally generate problematic or offensive images; in such cases you can use the Report Result option to let us know.

Provide Feedback and help shape Generative Fill

If you would like to provide feedback on the overall experience, report any bugs, or suggest new features please let us know in this thread! If you prefer Discord, you can find us there too!

Helpful Tips

• Use simple language
    Leave out commands like ā€œaddā€ or ā€œremoveā€ - Example: asking to "remove the red boat" will generate more red boats.
    Try using 3-8 words to describe what you want to see.
    Include a subject with descriptive language.. Example: A red barn in a field of flowers.
  • Select part of the original image when extending 
    Make sure you select part of the image along with the empty part of the canvas. This will give a better result that will blend in with the rest of your image.
  • Get inspired and inspire others
    Share what you create with the beta community!
    Check out the 
    Adobe Firefly Gallery to see what others have created with Adobe Firefly and Generative Fill. Click on an image to see the prompt that was used.

Related Links:

Learn about and install Photoshop (beta) app

Experience the future of Photoshop with Generative Fill

Firefly FAQ

Stock and Firefly FAQ

Make selections in your composites

Retouch and repair images

TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Hey all,

We have seen reports that turning VPN off allows some customers to download the newest beta.

We also have released a NEW 24.6 beta today,

• open CCD and click Check for updates and you should be offered the new version: Photoshop Beta 24.6 20230524.m.2185 (you will see this full version in Help/System info)
  • In this new update: we fixed a top crasher, tool tip issue for under 18 users, and localization issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 248 Replies 248
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not seeing Generative Fill?
1. Both the previous and the most-recent version of the Photoshop Beta are 24.6.
Please check your Help > System Info and verify that on the first line you see: 24.6.0 20230520.m.2181
Ensure you are on the latest by refreshing the updater, please.Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 6.51.54 AM.png

2. To use the feature, you must first have an active selection. 
 Make selections in your composites

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @MeredithStotzner for posting this. As its not clear that just downloading Photoshop (Beta) is not enough. One has to "update" it immediately as well šŸ˜› to be able to access Generative Fill šŸ™‚  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says that it's Up to date, but I have the old version 25. I'm based in Canada, is that why? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2023 Jun 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlotte, I am from Ukraine and I have the same situation as you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you need to find and install another version of Photoshop. Look for Photoshop beta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using a VPN turn it OFF. I had this problem. My creative cloud was saying there were no updates. But when I turned the VPN off there was 5 updates in total. Including the update for Beta with generative fill. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine isn't even showing as installed on the updates tab in my cloud app. It does show in All Apps, however. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the new Generative Fill option in Photoshop Beta, it would be very handy if the layer name of the newly generated layer would be the text prompt (if a prompt is used). It can stay, "Generative Layer x" if there's no prompt associated with it.

If the concern is that the layer name might be too long, perhaps just use the main noun? For example, I just generated "a wrought iron birdbath" - having the layer name be "Birdbath" would be wonderful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Szalam great idea.  Currently your prompts are stored with each image thumbnail in your properties pannel for reference.

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 10.15.39 AM.png

Happy to pass on your idea to the team for consideration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Szalam Thanks for your feedback. We received multiple requests on layer naming from the prompt text. The team is investigating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soooo.... are all of these Ai Generative images going to be from Royalty Free sources?!
This may open/close a can of worms for our legal department!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @paultech, more info how the Firefly models were generated can be found in the FAQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your assistance, Pete. Also, I have received unsatisfactory results in the form of crude and cartoonish images that bear little resemblance to the high-quality photos depicted in Adobe's demonstrations. Is there an setting that is lacking, or is it simply a result of this being a beta version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to add my own images, such as skies and backgrounds to the generative fill library? It would be much nicer to use my own work than someine elses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple answer: No. If you upload images to Adobe Stock, your images MIGHT be used to create AI results elsewhere. But you won't be able to pick and choose which images are used to create new results. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Pete.Green I was wondering the same thing as @paultech. I read the FAQ link but the answears are not very specific. It says that Adobe Stock content is part of Fireflyā€™s training dataset. What are the other parts though? Should we worry the dataset contains copyrighted content like midjourney does? 

FAQ also mentions that Adobe is "developing a compensation model for Stock contributors, and we will share the details of this model when Firefly exits beta." but is there really any guarantee Firefly will ever exit beta? There games that have been years in beta version. What holds Adobe back from doing the same thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2023 Jun 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very disappointing that the Generative AI images can't even be uploaded to Instagram as part of a photo edit.  I'm not going to waste any more time on it until the resulting images are usable in the real world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this is really a bug, but it's an issue so I'm sending feedback. I generated a picture of Labrador Reteriver puppies twice using the Generate Fill. The first time one puppy had 3 tongues. The 2nd time one puppy had 2 tails! I'm using Photoshop Beta 24.6.0 on Mac OS Ventura 13.3.1. Sending a screenshot of the puppy with 2 tails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine isn't showing up at all and I'm connected to the internet....what am I doing wrong? See attached. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here. it is very confusing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@vampirejaku  Make sure to "Check for Updates" in the Updates tab of CC Desktop. You'll want version m.2181 in Ps beta's Help > System Info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! Yay! I'm so happy! Thank you so much!

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 5.39.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the world of AI. šŸ™‚ Even the best text to image AI software will sometimes give you unexpected results such as mangled hands, extra feet, etc. You just have to keep trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2023 Jun 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't stand my 4 experiments with this, the manufactured results were worse than awful. So I uninstalled the Beta. I wish I'd taken screen shots of the mangled and garish results I got. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines