• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hover layer bounds is now in Photoshop beta!

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Photoshop beta friends!

We have just added a new feature for the Move tool called "Hover layer bounds" to the Photoshop beta, and it is available to you now!

What does it do?

This new feature adds the ability to mouse over an object on your canvas and show an outline of that layer. Additionally the corresponding layer will be highlighted in the layers panel. It also has additional function with layers with masks that display both the shown and hidden pixel data.

PeteGreen_6-1708734696558.png

Hover layer bounds also works in the reverse direction as you mouse over layers in the Layers panel.

Hover layer bounds is very customizable;

• You can customize the colorthickness, and the Layers panel highlight color in Preferences > Guides, Grid & Slices
    PeteGreen_1-1708733400222.png
  • and customize the behavior in the new Move tool gear menu in the Options bar.PeteGreen_0-1708733280415.png

We would love for you to give hover layer bounds a try!

Please let us know what you think and how we could make improvements to this feature.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

New behavior for Hover layer bounds is now available in the latest beta build! m.2568 and later
You can now navigate through the layers that share pixel coordinates by using the [ (next layer down) and ] (previous layer up) while the Move tool is over objects on the canvas. If Auto-select is enabled, you'll be able to click and interact with the layer who's boundaries are being displayed.

• If your keyboard does not have [ and ] keys, you can customize this keyboard shortcut to your preference i

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2024 Apr 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find this feature tremendously annoying. To each their own, but the first thing I did when I noticed it was Google how to turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pete.Greenfinding a bug in this feature, version 25.7.0 (not beta), should I post here or start a new topic? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep hiding extras with command+H but the outline blue frame keeps showing up around my layers when I open new files and it's so annoying that I can't turn it off permanently. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Simon27331721g8fe have you tried unhecking the Show layer bounds on hover?

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 9.58.12 AM.png

Thanks,

Cory - Photoshop Product Manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turn off the extras in the view menu and they just turn right back on so many how often I click them off

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jennifer30146262pewo is there a reason in your workflow to NOT show the Extras?  You can choose what you want to show via the Show Extra's Options...

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 1.51.24 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-19 at 1.51.33 PM.png

Thanks,

Cory - Photoshop Product Manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the last update my mouse wherever is hoving highlights all different layers in blue bounding box on the current document and on the layer window it turns blue, its incredibly annoying and horrible designing, I need to turn it off but I cant find where!

cesaraiza_0-1710209192696.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. With the Move tool active, Click the gear icon in the options panel and uncheck the second and fourth options like in the image.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 11.22.32 AM.png

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I was going crazy over all this highlighting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing thank you! This was driving me crazy too, such an annoying addition, glad we can disable it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello people,

Im having this issue which is driving me crazy.

I am editing and wherever I move my coursor there's a blue selection following, as you can see in the layers pannel. It also creates blue boxes on the artboard. I have been trying to turn this off because it also makes it hard to work, the selection is weird.

I have been working with Ps for 8 years and I never had this problem before.

if anybody knows I will be very grateful!

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 11.53.18 AM (2).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it photoshop 25.5.1 ? And Sonoma?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! That was it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature is awful. I am not sure who is designing this software interface and userablity anymore. Adobe take note of how many people are trying to figure out how to turn this feature OFF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature is awful. I am not sure who is designing this software interface and userablity anymore. Adobe take note of how many people are trying to figure out how to turn this feature OFF.

By @Jon370693626cfd

Do you use Smart Guides?  HLBs is no more intrusive than SGs, and incredibly useful for people whose projects end up with a lot of layers.  If that isn't you, then it is super easy to disable them.  With the recent changes top the UI with more functionality in the Properties panel and Contextual Task Bar, people are going to need to get back up to speed with those changes, so it's not like folk won't know how to set things up to their liking.

@Pete.Green  I wonder if the state of Hover Layer Bounds and other UI settings can be saved with Custom Workspaces?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you press command and click on a layer it will selects the layer's contents automatically. Or if you press Option + Layer it will hide all laters except for the one selected. It’s a much easier to way to see the contents of a layer. I find this new blue frame invasive visually and inaccurate if you are trying to see the exact contents of a layer. To each their own. If people find it helpful, then great. I had to disable it immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pete.Green  I wonder if the state of Hover Layer Bounds and other UI settings can be saved with Custom Workspaces?

By @Trevor.Dennis

I just tested this and it doesn't happen.  Would it be helpful if its on/off state could be remembered in a custom workspace?  I'm thinking in terms of quickly swapping between workspaces with actions triggered with a Function key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thank god you have the option to turn this off! I booted up the new update and all these boxes were appearing over EVERYTHING and it was slowing the whole program down 😞 Why is this the default when you update? A lot of people are going to experience performance issues due to a feature that, frankly, is way more annoying than useful. If I need guides, I turn them on. If it's not broken, why "fix" it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please consider having a new updates popup "Do you want us to change all the settings and add new features for beginners?" Because many Adobe users dont want or need these tools that are awesome for some but a confusing unnecessary nusance for the rest of us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please consider having a new updates popup "Do you want us to change all the settings and add new features for beginners?" Because many Adobe users dont want or need these tools that are awesome for some but a confusing unnecessary nusance for the rest of us

By @VIKKI312678408qwn

You just need to stay with whatever version best suits your workflow. 

A few years back, I thought that Photoshop had pretty much stagnated.  The annual major updates had no significant new features.  But in the last year or two — or maybe more since Sensei powered features were introduced — Photoshop has got better in crazy big steps.  The vastly improved selection tools alone make huge improvements to how quickly and accurately we can work.  These new features obviously involve a learning curve, and even changes that are essentially just to the User Interface, need to be learned.

I tend to agree that the UI changes, while welcome in the long run, did not come with the support they should have done.  The functionality moved (and/or duplicated) to the Properties panel caught me out at first, and I didn't see anything telling me to watch this short video etc.  I run with Tool Tips turned as well (but not Rich Tool Tips).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So annoying and intrusive please SHUT IT DOWN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2024 May 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am here because I immediately googled how to disable this annoying distraction

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you turn it off? Please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not want this feature and it slows down processing, how do i get rid of it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines