• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: macOS 14.1 / Photoshop 2024 v25.0/25.1 Toolbar click through issue

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well ... that wasn't something I ever expected or have ever seen. Was using Photoshop 2024 v 25.0.0 just this morning no problem with macOS 14.0.1. Updated to macOS 14.1 this afternoon, and now the top half of the toolbar clicks THROUGH the toolbar into the Finder. What? The bottom half of the toolbar works as usual. I've turned off most of the toolbar and tool prefs & that does nothing. Did a bunch of Interweb searches ... nothing relevent yet.

This is pretty new Photoshop behaviour ... wondering if anyone else has run into this yet.

Any ideas?

I could temporarily move all the most used tools to the bottom half of the toolbar. Though all the tools can be chosen by keyboard commands ... just can't click on those tools in the bar.

Color me perplexed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

macOS 14.1 Photoshop 2024 Tool Bug.gif

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Engaged , Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Ok, some good news here. Apple just had an update to Sonoma (Nov 9, 2023) and subsequent to that, I went into Ps full screen mode and tried out the docked panels as before (the ones encircled in magenta in the screenshot of the original post). They all appear to work fine now. So whatever was done, it would appear as though the issue is now resolved. With that, I will now return you to your regularly scheduled mayhem 🤪😁. Oh, and thanks to everyone who chimed in, either to confirm or suggest id

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

This should be addressed in macOS 14.1.1 which just shipped today.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

If you want to use a tool without using the application frame, turn on the application frame and separate the tool from the application frame.

1.png
After that, you should be able to use it as long as you turn off the application frame and do not attach the tool to the monitor.

2.png

Please do not perform the following operations.

3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Updating Status.
This has been a known issue since macOS Sonoma v14.1.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
95 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the current Photoshop 25.0.0 running on Macbook M1 with Sonoma OS, when the Application Frame option is unchecked, the cursor will not open any tools on the toolbars as it registers a toolbar click as clicking on the desktop and thereby leaving the program. It works fine with the Application Frame option checked, but for my purposes I need to keep it unchecked.

This issue is not in Illustrator or InDesign, just Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from using the community bugs">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually i just updated to macOS Sonoma 14.1 and i'm seeing the same issue as well in photoshop 2024 (ps version 25.0) running on a 2022 Mac Studio.

To be clear this only started happening after macOS Sonoma 14.0 was updated to 14.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this bug not only affects photoshop 2024 (ps version 25.0) on macOS Sonoma 14.1, but every photoshop version we have installed including  photoshop 2021 (22.2), 2022 and 2023.

Photoshop is virtually unusable at this time if one wants to use it with the Application Frame off.

Adobe Illustrator 2024 is affected as well with the Application Frame turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here as @itzafergy has: Can't use the tools, Selection Tool is active and I can't change. PS 25.0.1 and beta. [cursing removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back to PS PS 25.0 but the problem with the tools is still there. So it's most likely not an issue of PS but a bug of the latest Mac OS Sonoma Update (14.1.) which I installed last night. Thois is so annoing …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to use a tool without using the application frame, turn on the application frame and separate the tool from the application frame.

1.png
After that, you should be able to use it as long as you turn off the application frame and do not attach the tool to the monitor.

2.png

Please do not perform the following operations.

3.png

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. At first I thought it was the update to PS 25.0.1 but after downgrading to 25.0.0 again I still had the issue, so it's definitely Sonoma 14.1. I can't even use shortcuts and I can reach just the very last tools. Super annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. That did the trick. Thanks!

Did a whole uninstall, delete prefs, & clean install of PS 25.1. That didn't do anything. But turning on Application Frame, undock the toolbar & turn off AF did the trick.

Now at least Photoshop is usable. Awesome! 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just did the update to Sonoma, working in Photoshop 2024. I am having the issue that some of the tools are not working along the toolbar. My computer won't let me change between the three types of healing brush and I can't click the marquee tool. Does anyone have a solve for this?? Still won't work even in full screen.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody. Since a few days I cannot anymore select tools when I'm in the select and mask window. I tried this evening upgrading to ps 25.1 and also to the newest Sonoma dev beta but no luck. Bug still there. When I click on a tool it seems like it's transparent, it's like clicking on desktop. Bug is not there if I keep Application Frame on, but I don't want to use it. Same bug, but worse; also in PS beta. There every tool, not only in Select and Mask, is "transparent" unless I keep the App Frame on. Any ideas? I'm pretty desperate because I frankly hate to have App Frame on. I don't really know since when I've this bug but it's not a lot of time and my M1 Max MacBook Pro is pretty much the same; I haven't installed anything obscure or bizarre.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking Application Frame, then dragging the Toolbar out of position, then unchecking App frame worked for me. 

Sadly the same issue has risen it's ugly head in Illustrator... although managed to fix that by simply rebuilding a new cutom Toolbar. Time consuming and very poor between Adobe and Apple. It only started hapenning after the iOS Sonoma 14.1 update so I'm mostly blaming Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, but the pallets on the right still don't work. Once clicked, they disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G'day All,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or something I've overlooked. I'm using Ps 25.1.0 (see bottom for full specs) and switched to full screen mode with panels showing. However, while I can select tools and panels, the windows outlined in magenta are not selectable. I very rarely work in full screen mode so perhaps this is normal, or maybe there's something I've overlooked? I have searched the Known Issues for my system and found nothing and searched this forum. This happens on both my Cintiq 24 Pro and my main display (BenQ) with the Cintiq turned off so as not to invoke the Wacom drivers (just in case). See below for screen shot and system particulars. Can anyone clue me in on what I may have/have not set correctly, or what the correct operation is? Thanks a bunch.

Ps_Fullscreen.jpg

 System Specs:

Apple M1 Max Studio

Memory:  32 GB

SSD Drive Space:  1 TB with 0.78 TB free

Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro

Wacom Driver Set 6.4.4-2 (latest set as of 27/Oct/2023)

Photoshop v25.1.0

Apple Studio (M1 Max), 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me Illustrator 2024 (28.0) is affected as well if the Application Frame turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somewhat happy to see that I'm not the only one. Hope that Adobe will patch this soon! Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that's not normal and definitely a serious bug.

Did you notice whether this started after you updated macOS Sonoma to 14.1?

I also see that on macOS Sonoma 14.1 with photoshop 2024 (ps ver 25.1) on a 2022 Mac Studio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also a problem with photoshop in Full Screen Mode regardless of whether the Application Frame is on/off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately I don't know if it was present before Sonoma since I very rarely use Ps in full screen mode. That said though, I'm pretty sure I have gone into full screen mode in Ventura and Monterey and definitely would have noticed it then if it was happening with those OS'. I suspect this may be a Sonoma thing, but as I'm not seeing anyone else reporting this, I wasn't sure if this was maybe a setting I was overlooking. 

I'm not sure of the significance of Sonoma with Ps 2024 on a 2022 Mac Studio. Could you expound on that for me please? All are supposed to be compatible.

Thanks Jeff, appreciate the feedback.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it has anything to do with having a Mac Studio or any other Mac for that matter.

It's some code in Sonoma 14/14.1 that Apple changed and Photoshop doesn't agree with.

Adobe Illustrator has similar issues being reported.

There is are reports of similar problems when one has the Application Frame off, however, being in full screen doesn't matter about having the Application Frame on or off.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/macos-14-1-photoshop-2024-v25-0-0-toolbar-bu...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, good to know Jeff. Thanks for this. Agreed, it doesn't seem like it should be anything to do with the Application Frame being turned on or off, but more a transparency issue of some sort. However, I'm wondering if those are tied together in some way deep in the code? That might be a good place for Adobe to start looking. Since this is quite a new issue and seems to affect more than one app, my guess is once they (Adobe) are aware of it, it won't take too long to see a fix for it. In the mean time, as long as it works in the standard screen mode, we are still operational, which is good. I have done some further troubleshooting, and this is what I've found:

1. In my setup, in the Standard Screen Mode (SSM), I dragged my toolbar back to the left and docked it there (in the default position) then switched to full screen, and the issue is still there.

2. I returned to the SSM and dragged the History Panel from that docked window (top panel with the magenta outline in my screenshot above) to the panel set at the top right with the Layers, Paths and Histogram nested panels and nested it within those panels. I then went back into full screen mode (FSM) and I could then click on and activate the History Panel within that nest (and all the panels docked at the far right), but still could not access the remainder of the panels in the docked set (again outlined in magenta). 

3. Again I returned to SSM and pulled the History Panel right out into the main workspace so now it was completely floating. Then I went back into FSM and found I could access the floating History Panel with no problems, but still could not access those magenta outlined panels. While still in full screen mode FSM I was able to drag the floating History Panel over to that magenta outlined panel set and dock it within there. However, as soon as I did that, I was no longer able to activate it until I returned to SSM.

So, it appears as though it is related to panels docked in that position for some reason. At this point I don't know what else to do to help troubleshoot this, but if anyone has ideas as to what to try next, I'd be happy to give it a go. Hopefully this much though helps Adobe nail down where the issue might lie.

Thanks again Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On an iMac:  version 25.1.0: when click on the tool bar, the entire PS disappears to the last open window.  It is like clicking outside of PS when on and it goes to an area like desktop or whatever.

PS is completely unusable as is.

[versions added to subject by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here and also in illustrator. going back to older version does not solve this, this seems to be an adobe and 14.1 problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate