• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: 23.2 Issue - Previously saved files with adjustment layers open with strange colors

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to Photoshop 23.2, if you have a file previously saved (example .psb) with adjustment layers like Curves or Channel Mixer, the image opens up with strange colors in the part of image where the adjustments impacts. To fix the issue, I need to go to adjustment layer, turn it off (via eye icon) and turn it back on.

Photoshop team, could you please fix this bug so I do not have to use above hack on my previously saved images with adjustmensts when I open them.

System

Windows 11

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the April 2022 release of Photoshop 23.3. This update includes the fix for this issue.

To update Photoshop to 23.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

We have other reports that MachinePrefs.psp was causing this issue.

1. Quit Photoshop
2. Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder.
macOS: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
Windows: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
3. Remove the file called MachinePrefs.psp from inside the settings folder and move it to your desktop

If that fixes the issue, please share the MachinePrefs.psp file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

@jcazzie @chadm15595658 Multiple customers have said that MachinePrefs.psp was causing this issue.

1. Quit Photoshop

2. Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder.

macOS: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Windows: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

3. Delete the file called MachinePrefs.psp from inside the settings folder

Votes

Translate

Translate
96 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, unfortunately I do not have the MachinePrefs.psp file on my Mac, nor can I access it via the described way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, unfortunately I do not know how to do this.

I am now on MacOs Monterey 12.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issue as @Srelles Cire . I do not have any MachinePrefs.psp or "Adobe Photoshop" folder following "Preferences". "Disable Native Canvas" or GPU does not work either. Frustrating and impossible to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likewise - experiencing what @Srelles Cire  + @Crystin23316737fiv2 are dealing with in that there's no MachinePrefs.psp to be found nor the director you're referencing it being in. I'm also experiencing an instant crash whenever adding the 'Selective Color' option into a document? This is really a bit of a joke though given that it's all coming off the back of an update and the other support options being offered here are extremely technical and not standard for most users? Ps is pretty much currently unusuable for over 50% of the tasks I need it for right now which is a nightmare given I use it solely for business 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. This worked for another user reporting this issue.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My layers were fine last night when I saved them.  This morning my image was black and multicolored spots and lines with all my repairs showing in color.  I turned off the two curves layers and the colors disappeared but my healing brush repairs were still visible in white. See what I mean below..This is very strange.

All seemed normal last nigh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The past few days I have been trying to access mockups I've downloaded and one of two things happen.

1. It crashes before even opening

2. The mockup turns weird neon colors (see photo)

I have tried reinstalling, restarting my computer, messing with graphics processing and native canvas and nothing has worked. This is really pushing me behind on my work. It happens on about 50% of the files I try to open, some of them open up fine.If anyone has suggestions please let me know. Thanks!Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 11.36.57 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Srelles Cire I was also having trouble finding the Photoshop MachinePrefs.psp file on my Mac. I did a search on Youtube and this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXNrI6YKJIM) gave me a step-by-step guide on how to file the folder. Her method of removing the "Adobe Photoshop 2022 Prefs.psp" file DID NOT work. But I moved the "MachinePrefs.psp" file to my desktop (so in case this wasn't the issue I could simply move it back into the same place) but this ended up fixing my problem! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The path for MachinePrefs.psp, on my Mac, is:

/Users/~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 20XX* Settings

* specific to the version(s) of Photoshop you have installed.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They (Adobe) made a major mess and are now trying to do the backstroke out of issues. Loss of time = loss of $$$. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They (Adobe) made a major mess and are now trying to do the backstroke out of issues. Loss of time = loss of $$$.

And they forced you to upgrade?

Funny, zero such issue on this end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sporgsmaal_0-1646916016226.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Removing the machine prefs psp file seems to have resolved it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the last update I cannot get these tools to work. Levels and Curves just show multi colored pixels everywhere. When color balance is selected the whole photo goes black. When I try to use Selective color it crashes photoshop and it closes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following cross-platform JavaScript can be run from the affected version of Photoshop to open settings folder containing the MachinePrefs.psp file for that version of Photoshop.

/* 
Open Photoshop Settings Folder - Universal 
Based on:
https://github.com/MarshySwamp/Backup-Photoshop-Settings-Universal
*/
#target photoshop
app.bringToFront();
var os = $.os.toLowerCase().indexOf('mac') >= 0 ? "mac" : "windows";
if (os === 'mac') {
    var appPath = app.path.fsName.replace(/^\/.+\//, '');
    var userSettingsDir = '~/Library/Preferences/' + appPath + ' Settings';
    var userSettingsDirOpen = Folder(userSettingsDir);
    userSettingsDirOpen.execute();
} else {
    var appPath = app.path.fsName.replace(/^.+\\/, '');
    var userSettingsDir = '~/appData/Roaming/Adobe/' + appPath + '/' + appPath + ' Settings';
    var userSettingsDirOpen = Folder(userSettingsDir);
    userSettingsDirOpen.execute();
}

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Mac OS 11.6, Pshop 23.2.2)

I just updated Photoshop to v23.2.2. It messes up the Levels adjustment layers in my existing files. Not all, but some. The layer might appear as a solid black square, or like it has a "solarize" filter. Anyhoo, keep up the good work, Adobe! Such a great feeling knowing I'm paying $52/month for the privilege of participating in an endless betaware experiment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear about the trouble experienced with Photoshop 23.2.2; we understand your concern. 

Would you mind updating your macOS to the latest version? Since when are you seeing this issue? Did you try any troubleshooting steps? Can you share a small video of the trouble seen? Is it happening with any particular file type? 

You may try to reset Photoshop preferences back to defaults and check if that helps. Here's the article for the steps: https://adobe.ly/3ceal5t Also, back up the existing Photoshop preferences if you have any custom brushes, action, and workspace: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG.

Regards.

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to use different adjustment layers the photo goes pixelated in multi colors and crashes. Some layers I've used and they seem to work fine, but when I save it and then reopen, the photo is pixelated and photoshop crashes. This is affecting tools I use frequently and makes it hard to complete time senstive work. I hope someone knows a fix to this. I have submitted MULTIPLE crash report. I've tried starting without plugins, I've tried disabling the graphics driver and deleting the font cache. I don't know what else to try!!! VERY FRUSTRATING!! Attached is photo of what happens when I try to use an adjustment layer or some will just go black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 13.56.23.jpg

so this(this color grainy noize) happens to me everytime I add a curve layer since the latest update... if I touch the actual curve line - it dissapears. 

it happens when you open a saved file also (super frustrating when you have multiple curve layers), and than I have to touch the curve on every of them to make this dissapear... 

supper annoying. never happened before. is there a fix for this? if not - hope it will be fixed asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Use Graphics Processor. Restart Photoshop. Does the problem persist?

Go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and check "Disable Native Canvas" - then restart Photoshop. Does the problem still occur?

If this doesn't help try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps described here:

Preferences in Photoshop (adobe.com)

Please backup your settings before resetting the preferences. You can check:

Preferences in Photoshop (adobe.com)

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.7 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Use Graphics Processor. Restart Photoshop. Does the problem persist?

Go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and check "Disable Native Canvas" - then restart Photoshop. Does the problem still occur?

yes the problem persists in both cases.

I reseted the preferences - the problem dissapeared. As soon as I put my prefernces back - the problem came back again.
I guess I need to start anew...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi photoshop community, if anywhere has the answer it's usually right here. I have a fairly hi spec PC running Windows 11 64 bit, i9 processor 64gb ram, Nvidea graphics. I am having an issue in that when I am editing in photoshop, if i load a try to an adjustment layer, i am getting a pretty funky inverted screen. In the attached image, when I add in a curves layer for instance, pre adding it is how it should appear, then wehn i add the layer it goes on inverted. as soon as i click on the curve it reverts to the normal look, it's pre the adjustment it's got that inverted layer look. It's happening with any adjustment layer

I've attached a couple of screen grabs, hopefully my post makes sense

photoshop error before and after

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I can't replicate the issue on my system although I'm on Windows 10 with an Nvidia RTX2060 Super GPU, do you use the Nvidia Studio driver or the Game Ready one, Adobe recommends the Studio version.

Try enabling this option in preferences and restarting Photoshop to see if it helps

2022-03-24 16_41_24-© 0049.tif @ 66.7% (Curves 2, Layer Mask_8) _.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, it made no difference, it's still the same. It's weird, what it's showing only lasts as long as it takes for me to make an adjustment

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there... I had the same issue with ps 2022 - I'm pretty clueless about
tech stuff but I did this and it fixed it. I unchecked "use graphics
Processor" and I "reset preferences". I see now that my use graphics
processor is rechecked.. dunno how that happened! just resetting prefs.
fixed my issue and I haven't had a problem since.
Hope it works for you!
Lynn

Votes

Translate

Translate